Justin Herbert

SheaRay

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I can’t see the Giants or Tampa trading up to take a QB now.  Not in this draft class.   They can keep Manning and Winston for another year and re-evaluate next year when you have a much better class.   

I can see that.  But the Giants front office is stupid.  They might make a reactionary move because of the portion of the fanbase who thought they should have taken a QB last year. 

Winston is still young so the Bucs are probably the lowest likelihood to move up among the teams I listed.  But there's still a chance. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

not a good move by hebert is you ask me.  If you are rated the #1 or #2 guy in the draft Qb wise you should come out even if you do not go like top 5.

Justin's younger brother, a TE, is coming to Oregon next  year. I am sure that was a big factor in making his decision. It's also possible this kid comes from money or has other interests (god forbid) than football (he is a biology major). 

Not saying it was a good NFL career move, but that isn't always the only factor. Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning stayed an extra year also. While this is not a great QB class, I don't think next year's is any better. Tua Tagovailoa is the #1 QB on some boards for 2020 and I am not a fan of his talents (for the NFL). 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's just silly.  Even EJ Manuel went 16th.  That should at least be the floor for where the first QB will go. 

There was no guarantee Herbert would be the #1 Qb off the board. But I do agree that if he came out I don't think he would have fallen that far. But you never know. I remember Geno Smith was #1 on some people's draft boards in his final year at West Virginia. 

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And with that, any hope of a trade down is pretty much dead.

I don’t see anyone giving away multiple picks to move up for Haskins or Lock. Hell, those guys may not even go in the Top 10.

I know a lot of the talk has been about Josh Allen, but if we’re picking at #2 or #3 and Bosa is already gone...Oliver or Q. Williams could very well be the pick.

I have no problem with that if we can sign some FA pass rushers. I want no part of a WR, RB, Olineman that is OK over maybe a Warren Sapp type (Ed Oliver). 

And this discussion is why I think the Johnson boys will give Mac another shot.

Striking in a QB rich draft by moving up and getting Darnold. Setting this team up for success for the next ten years and beyond hides a lot of bad picks. 

29 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

The good news is there's a fair amount of teams who will be in the QB market next year. Of course not all will have the appetite to trade up relative to immediate need and player quality. Teddy Bridgewater will be heading to one. Some of the teams looking at QB in 2019. Am I missing one?

Raiders

Jags

Washington

Tampa

Giants

Denver

Pats

I'd be SHOCKED if Gruden trades Carr, I don't believe they are in the QB sweepstakes.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'd be SHOCKED if Gruden trades Carr, I don't believe they are in the QB sweepstakes.

I think next year they can cut bait on Carr's contract without a major hit?

Gruden is a lunatic that let the best defensive player in the NFL walk out the door. Don't think he won't push Carr out. 

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Herbert comes out, it increases the value of our pick in a possible trade down.  That's the only reason I care. 

Actually it might just be the opposite. If Herbet stays in school there are more teams fighting for less prospects at QB driving up the value.

Of course Carr is done in Oakland, whether its this year or next.  If he thought Carr was "the guy", he likely wouldn't have torn everything down to start over again.  He'd have kept guys like Mack and Cooper. 

New regimes almost always mean new QB's.  Gruden definitely wants a guy of his own choosing under center, for better or worse. 

55 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Herbert comes out, it increases the value of our pick in a possible trade down.  That's the only reason I care. 

What I was thinking^  but I still insist that, come draft time, a team will want to trade into top 5 for a defensive player that they feel is can’t-miss. A team that has the luxury of a FQB already could very well do that. I don’t think a trade up is necessarily exclusive to QB’s consdeiring how this “historic” defensive draft equates to the QB draft class of last year.

19 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

And this discussion is why I think the Johnson boys will give Mac another shot.

Striking in a QB rich draft by moving up and getting Darnold. Setting this team up for success for the next ten years and beyond hides a lot of bad picks. 

Plus in fairness some of these offensive additions are playing well.  McGuire and Herndon both scored tds last week.  Anderson is playing well.  Darnold is playing great.  Mccagnan added all of them.  The offense looks way better than the defense, as ironic as this is.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Plus in fairness some of these offensive additions are playing well.  McGuire and Herndon both scored tds last week.  Anderson is playing well.  Darnold is playing great.  Mccagnan added all of them.  The offense looks way better than the defense, as ironic as this is.

Bowles tied his wagon to Kacey Rogers but fired 3 OCs. I'm telling you guys right now, Williams, Schwartz, Phillips, Pees, would all have this Jet defense playing better than they are. 4 years later, the secondary still f*cks up 4 to 5 times a game, they can't get off the field on 3rd down, teams score in every 2 minute offense before the half or at the end of the game to beat this team. The defensive coaching & player development is horrific

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He was likely the highest rated QB in the draft. Him not coming out makes it less likely someone is going to trade a bunch of picks to move up to take a QB. Which would have helped the Jets for sure. So, I care. 

Actually maybe it has the opposite effect. Meaning with one less highly rated QB out there, some team desperate to get one now feels even more compelled to trade up...

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Actually maybe it has the opposite effect. Meaning with one less highly rated QB out there, some team desperate to get one now feels even more compelled to trade up...

That was what I was thinking when I read this news

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you see someone trading with the Cardinals?  Possibly. 

This news works in our favor i think. If the Haskins declares, he becomes the only real RND 1 qb -- and we stand to be the best trade target for that pick on draft day. Lot can happen between now and then - but barring pre-draft trades, we're the team to trade up with. No one ahead us will take a QB, and the Raiders are right there behind us. 

1 hour ago, SheaRay said:

I think next year they can cut bait on Carr's contract without a major hit?

Gruden is a lunatic that let the best defensive player in the NFL walk out the door. Don't think he won't push Carr out. 

He is cuttable really next season, but 2020 is even better.

I think Gruden could get a first and other picks for Carr.  He wants his own guy.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's just silly.  Even EJ Manuel went 16th.  That should at least be the floor for where the first QB will go. 

The last article I read about Herbert said NFL people consider him a bit of a weirdo 

Doesn't matter anymore lol 

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Or they make a run at Flacco or find another option 

Depending on how things go the jets look to be picking 3 or more slots to soon to be in on any trade scenarios 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you see someone trading with the Cardinals?  Possibly.  The main reason to do that would be to make sure another team doesn't do so, since the 49ers at 2 don't need a QB.  

And the smart thing for the team trading up would be to do that prior to the draft.   I could see the Raiders doing that, since they have the most picks to offer in a package, by far. 

If the Raiders trade up to #1, it'll be for Bosa. And that wouldn't be a huge surprise. 

Carr is quietly having a very good season on a very bad team. He's under contract, and only 27. Carr had a rough debut this year but since then the only marginally bad outing he's had was against Baltimore's defense. It wouldn't shock me to learn that Gruden came in with the idea to move on from Carr but I strongly suspect, that if he did, he's gotten over it. 

40 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I give the kid credit, he has a true desire to win for his school.

But, this is just dumb. Matt Barkley would have been the top pick if he left his junior year. He dropped to the 4th round the next year.

Mark Sanchez has earned over $74M (so far?) in his career. You gotta strike when the iron's hot. 

I think you can usually trade back, but the question is, what you get in return.  In years like this mccagnan may have to take less than any trade value chart would dictate, if he really wants to trade out and get more picks.  

Or he could just say, well, i nailed the Adams and darnold picks, I’m gonna take BAP and learn from the Leonard williams mistake and not take an DL this early.  I could see the jets ending up with josh allen.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Raiders do.  If we stay ahead of them, they might move up to prevent another team from doing so.  They certainly have plenty of picks to be able to afford a move like that. 

Giants at 6, Bucs at 7/8, and Jaguars at 9 are options too.  Moving down a few slots and picking up a 2nd rounder and maybe more would be fantastic. 

Raiders have Carr though. Is Gruden that dumb? Nevermind. Just answered my own question. 

5 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Maybe.  I was basing my opinion on Herbert being the best prospect in the group.  But now that he's staying in school, that's moot.  I forgot in my earlier post that Foles (or Wentz) will probably fill a starter spot next year.  I find it amazing but there may only be one or two teams really in the market for a FQB in the draft.  it seems like every year 6-8 teams or more need a QB.  Now it seems like almost every team has one (although some shouldn't be happy with what they have).

So the contenders are probably JAX, NYG, DEN and maybe TB and MIA.  If Bridgewater and Foles/Wentz get signed as they should, that leaves at most three teams I can see that should be in the mix and possibly less.  But then there's always a surprise or two possible as well.  Still, it could turn out that there just isn't enough competition to move up way above a QBs proper draft slot this year.  So be it.  If that's the case we'll take a good player and move on.

9 hours ago, SheaRay said:

It looks like Herbert will stay in school next year.

As bad as Jet management is, take comfort in knowing their stadium mates are just as lame. The Giants always seem to get a pass with bad moves and picks.

I love Barkley but how they passed on taking a QB this year with an aging QB is beyond me.

They just set back their franchise a couple of years.

maxresdefault.jpg

Still wants to be roommates with Chris.

9 hours ago, Lith said:

Gotta count on Dwayne Haskins coming out now.

Both Haskins and Lock will slide up a few more spots now.

Teams like Jacksonville, the Giants, potentially Tampa Bay, etc. are all interested in a QB upgrade or QB of the future.  Those two prospects will be overdrafted for sure.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Both Haskins and Lock will slide up a few more spots now.

Teams like Jacksonville, the Giants, potentially Tampa Bay, etc. are all interested in a QB upgrade or QB of the future.  Those two prospects will be overdrafted for sure.

Add Miami to that list.

Archived