Just hire McCarthy already

Maxman

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Is the goal to win a Championship? Will McCarthy be the first coach ever to win 2 with 2 different teams? If you say yes, then you have your man.

Even if we don't win a championship, McCarthy is the best bet (among the available options) to get the program on the right path towards where we need to be.  So the downside if he isn't as great as we hoped is still high.

The young OC/college HC route may have a higher ceiling, but it has a much lower floor too. 

I prefer the former.  We're not winning a title with Mike Maccagnan picking the players regardless.  So let's get to respectable first, then try to load up for a championship run. 

• Upvote 1

Also, McCarthy could help finally prove to the Johnsons that Macc is indeed a huge problem and needs to go. 

Many of you were saying you wanted to see how Macc does with a "Real HC".  Here's our shot.  If we go 7-9 under McCarthy in Year 5 of the Macc tenure, we'll have a pretty good idea that the roster is as awful as most have been saying for months. 

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If he’s hired they’re probably drafting Greedy. During McC’s era Green Bay selected 10 DBs in the first 3 rounds and 7 of them in the 1st and 2nd including getting a DB with their 1st and 2nd picks in the same draft 3 out of the last 4 drafts. 

With no honest to goodness top five can’t miss offensive players I prefer him to another big fat d lineman. Reality is our secondary sucks. Kid looks like the real deal. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

If we can’t trade down and they don’t think Johan is the right pick I’m all for Greedy. 

I prefer to trade down as well. We just need a couple QBs to shine in the combine and pro days. Plenty of desperate for QB teams out there. “ Let the fleecing begin!” 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If he’s hired they’re probably drafting Greedy. During McC’s era Green Bay selected 10 DBs in the first 3 rounds and 7 of them in the 1st and 2nd including getting a DB with their 1st and 2nd picks in the same draft 3 out of the last 4 drafts. 

Didn't McCarthy specifically want nothing to do with the GM position? I know GM/Coaches work together but I'm not sold on this.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Didn't McCarthy specifically want nothing to do with the GM position? I know GM/Coaches work together but I'm not sold on this.

Honestly I don’t know. I’m not a GB fan in the least so I don’t follow them enough to know. I text my future brother in law to see what his input was. He’s a huge GB fan. 

I'm not a McCarthy fan. He had two HOF Qb's in his lap. I'd rather get a guy that raises his players a level or two. 

I stumbled on this NYDN article, not knowing much about Caldwell, other than my friend the Lion fan saying he should not have gotten the axe. Of the previous head coaches, to me, his ability to improve both Payton Manning and Matt Stafford (a tall task) makes me think he should get consideration, if they want someone with NFL HC experience:

The case for Jim Caldwell

• Thumb Down 3

31 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I'm not a McCarthy fan. He had two HOF Qb's in his lap. I'd rather get a guy that raises his players a level or two. 

I stumbled on this NYDN article, not knowing much about Caldwell, other than my friend the Lion fan saying he should not have gotten the axe. Of the previous head coaches, to me, his ability to improve both Payton Manning and Matt Stafford (a tall task) makes me think he should get consideration, if they want someone with NFL HC experience:

The case for Jim Caldwell

If you didn’t know much about Caldwell then I’m not shocked a propaganda piece on him changed your mind. He’d be an extremely underwhelming hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I get all that, but let me throw this at you...

The jets win 5 games a year on average (being nice), McCarthy goes to the playoffs on average and mostly beyond that.

Play calling? Who gives a sh*t? It’s about wins! People make it sound like he is Art Shell it something. This guy was in the NFC championship game 2 years ago!

People are so focused on “offensive geniuses”, how about an adult who can make us respectable for once? I’ll take that for now...

Oh sure, absolutely... I'm not anti-McCarthy at all. There are a ton of positives that he brings to the table. He'll command respect and discipline with his record alone, which would be something the Jets haven't seen in 4 or 5 years, or more depending on what you thought of Rex. That's not something most people just walk in the door with. It's a big bonus. 

But I can't completely write off the play calling. Especially with how this roster is built right now. They need to be imaginative and innovative and figure out ways to get the most out of a fairly low-talent roster... He doesn't have to become an offensive genius over night or anything. He doesn't need to pretend to be one of these college gurus... 

He just needs to take what experience and coaching talent he already has and bend his normal strategy just a little bit. Add some different plays, maybe throw in a new formation he hasn't used in a while, etc. Andy Reid did it, so there's no reason McCarthy can't... If he does end up being hired I'll just feel slightly nervous until we actually start seeing plays. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Get it over with. No more of these inexperienced coaches. McCarthy and Darnold = 10 wins is now a bad season.

Brady and Belly will soon be riding off into the sunset. Take this division.

Yes and yes. I am Ex-Rex and I approve this message X 100.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, k-met57 said:

here is my question on McCarthy....

sounds like the jets are the only job in play this season...so its coach the jets or sit out a year...

here is the list of teams with potential openings next season. 

Jaguars - no QB/may draft one

Giants - no QB/may draft one

Panthers - Cam, not sure he is a coaches dream

Redskins - aging QB

Falcons - aging QB

so he is passing on Jets with Darnold and 100m in FA money to take one of those jobs? i am not buying it. IMHO the Jets hold all the cards, if i had to guess...we are the ones that are keeping him waiting...unless of course he wants to go to the bengals ?

Darnold is the only real asset. $100MM is only valuable in the hands of someone with a history of spending it wisely, or a wealth of young talent on rookie contracts that need extensions so we don't lose them. We have neither. 

Darnold is a draw (that's what most of us think). He should especially be a draw for someone like McCarthy who can look like a QB guru yet again with Darnold's continued development. The rest is a very temporary attraction, as any team can clear cap space if it wanted to. Oh yeah plus we have a good safety. 

To someone looking at the job, rather than a Jets fan rationalizing it, that's what we've got to offer. It isn't nothing, but I think people are overstating the attraction of the cap space.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think it's funny that only 2 coaches got fired during the season, and in both instances the QBs attitude was good riddance. Now people think McCarthy would want to go from 1 of those QBs to the other.

Mayfield's "attitude" had nothing to do with Hue Jackson being fired. I know its a popular thing on this board to take shots Mayfield, but Jackson was fired for two reasons. The main reason was the backstabbing between him and Todd Haley. The GM got tired of it, and the second was Jacksons inability to get the team to perform this year at the level the front office felt they were capable of. The GMs decision proved to be the correct one. The only knock on Mayfield that has validity is his continued trolling of Jackson, which didn't start until AFTER Jackson was fired and went on his media tour, where he threw the Browns organization and their players under the bus in an effort to deflect blame from himself. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Mayfield's "attitude" had nothing to do with Hue Jackson being fired. I know its a popular thing on this board to take shots Mayfield, but Jackson was fired for two reasons. The main reason was the backstabbing between him and Todd Haley. The GM got tired of it, and the second was Jacksons inability to get the team to perform this year at the level the front office felt they were capable of. The GMs decision proved to be the correct one. The only knock on Mayfield that has validity is his continued trolling of Jackson, which didn't start until AFTER Jackson was fired and went on his media tour, where he threw the Browns organization and their players under the bus in an effort to deflect blame from himself. 

Where did he do that? I watched him on Undisputed right after he was fired and he actually took everything on the chin, admitting it was his fault and just wanting to get back to coaching offense. 

Its true, Hue was fired because of Hue and very much deserved to get fired but lying to justify Baker’s actions after the fact is just plain annoying.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Where did he do that? I watched him on Undisputed right after he was fired and he actually took everything on the chin, admitting it was his fault and just wanting to get back to coaching offense. 

Its true, Hue was fired because of Hue and very much deserved to get fired but lying to justify Baker’s actions after the fact is just plain annoying.

I made a point to say criticism of Bakers actions after Jackson was fired ARE valid. I was disputing the point the other poster made that Jackson was fired because of Mayfield's "bad attitude" which simply isn't true. Mayfield's attitude had nothing to do with Jackson being let go. I had no intention of justifying Bakers actions, simply said when and why they began. Does this explanation on my part make this less annoying, my friend? ? BTW the lying comment is a bit strong, even though you watched him on Undisputed, lol. Jackson's media tour was widely criticized. Don't make it that he took all the blame...

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I made a point to say criticism of Bakers actions after Jackson was fired ARE valid. I was disputing the point the other poster made that Jackson was fired because of Mayfield's "bad attitude" which simply isn't true. Mayfield's attitude had nothing to do with Jackson being let go. I had no intention of justifying Bakers actions, simply said when and why they began. Does this explanation on my part make this less annoying, my friend? ?

Yes, we can be friends again.

• Haha 1