Just hire McCarthy already

Maxman

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why do you think no other teams appear interested in McCarthy? That doesn't raise any red flags?

Why is he leaking to Schefter that he ONLY wants the Jets job? Who negotiates a contract that way? If he was a great hire, he could just sit back and let multiple teams bid for his services. Why isn't that happening? 

Maybe the dude is just a great coach or maybe execs around the league feel like he hasn't done enough with Rodgers and the game is passing him by. Maybe Aaron Rodgers was calling his own plays because McCarthy's play calls weren't that good. 

These are questions we should be asking. Instead, it's OMG OMG McCarthy would give us respect around the NFL.....even though other NFL teams don't seem to want him. 

First off, your premise is off. He declined Arizonas offer to make him God Emperor of Football, and he did have an interview scheduled with the Browns that seems to have been mutually withdrawn. 

Beyond that, if Miami or TB reached out quietly and were rebuffed, how would we know? Would the team announce they got shot down? Would Macs camp announce it just to be a dick? I doubt it. So we wouldn't really know.

What I think happened is Mac watched the rest of the season to get an overall handle on the league. He saw what jobs were open, and sat down with his "team", probably his agent and their staff, his wife, and made a few ohone calls and narrowed down what jobs would interest him. Apparently he STARTED with a list of two....CLE and the NYJ. 

I have a feeling Dorsey probably told him his roster control would be limited...and Mac told them as a courtesy to resched the interview so they could find more suitable candidates....

And then he got down to a list of 1....and judging on that Schefter tweet, he would REALLY like to coach Sam. So it's a positive. He chose the Jets. Thats my optimistic take. LOL.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

We can shoot for titles after this.

You don't win titles if you're not this.

Progress can be incremental.  It doesn't all have to come in one go or nothing.

We're the 1996 Jets again today.

We need (IMO) a 1997 Parcells.

The closest option is McCarthy.

good post.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

We can shoot for titles after this.

You don't win titles if you're not this.

Progress can be incremental.  It doesn't all have to come in one go or nothing.

We're the 1996 Jets again today.

We need (IMO) a 1997 Parcells.

The closest option is McCarthy.

This! Think about it. We hire McCarthy and give him a 5 year guaranteed deal. In that time he sets a foundation, develops Darnold to a top 5 QB, and helps build a professional, winning culture.

At the end of that 5 years, we evaluate progress. If they keep Mac, its a win, because hes been successful and we have stability.

If we let Mac go, we have a QB who has been taught and developed by a guy known for his work with QBs, the Jets are a respected organization, and Darnold is, at that point, EXACTLY THE SAME AGE PENNINGTON AND RODGERS WERE when they had their FIRST STARTS. Thats mind blowing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why do you think no other teams appear interested in McCarthy? That doesn't raise any red flags?

Why is he leaking to Schefter that he ONLY wants the Jets job? Who negotiates a contract that way? If he was a great hire, he could just sit back and let multiple teams bid for his services. Why isn't that happening? 

Maybe the dude is just a great coach or maybe execs around the league feel like he hasn't done enough with Rodgers and the game is passing him by. Maybe Aaron Rodgers was calling his own plays because McCarthy's play calls weren't that good. 

These are questions we should be asking. Instead, it's OMG OMG McCarthy would give us respect around the NFL.....even though other NFL teams don't seem to want him. 

He can get paid $7MM to sit home and do nothing.  He doesn't need to negotiate a contract any way.  He has the luxury of picking one team he likes the most and giving them a take it or leave it number plus any other conditions he wants.  Other teams may have been told early on that he isn't interested.  What are they supposed to do.  Go public saying they are trying to schedule interviews with him and were rebuffed?  

People are understandably excitable but no need to manufacture drama.  From what we've heard (and we know less) he's either coming here or sitting out 2019.  So it's really a matter of whether the Jets want him and are willing to meet whatever conditions he has expressed.  No shame if it doesn't work out but I'm still hopeful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have a feeling Dorsey probably told him his roster control would be limited...and Mac told them as a courtesy to resched the interview so they could find more suitable candidates....

And then he got down to a list of 1....and judging on that Schefter tweet, he would REALLY like to coach Sam. 

these two things.

• 1 Mac is going to give McCarthy the players he wants. Check.
  • 2 Sam Darnold is humble, willing to learn, hard-working, and in need of a senior mentor. Check.
  • 3 Dorsey was not going to cede personnel decisions to McCarthy. 
  • 4 Mayfield is a narcissistic buttchunk. McCarthy is going to want to put the kid through his QB school. Who has the humility, the better makeup and collaborative approach of the 2 QBs? Sam Darnold.
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Vader said:

these two things.

• 1 Mac is going to give McCarthy the players he wants. Check.
  • 2 Sam Darnold is humble, willing to learn, hard-working, and in need of a senior mentor. Check.
  • 3 Dorsey was not going to cede personnel decisions to McCarthy. 
  • 4 Mayfield is a narcissistic buttchunk. McCarthy is going to want to put the kid through his QB school. Who has the humility, the better makeup and collaborative approach of the 2 QBs? Sam Darnold.

#1 would be an issue for me if I was deciding.  Mac has done a horrible job drafting by almost any metric.  Really abysmal for a 'scouting background gm'

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

#1 would be an issue for me if I was deciding.  Mac has done a horrible job drafting by almost any metric.  Really abysmal for a 'scouting background gm'

The biggest joke is that Maccagnan is even part of this entire hiring process, put the horrific drafting record aside for a moment, say the Giants took Darnold at 2, most likely you would have seen Rosen getting walloped all year long, isn't 1/100th the athlete Darnold is and surprisingly is less accurate sitting in the pocket compared to Darnold throwing darts into the smallest of windows while running for his life.

So say the pick was a forced Rosen pick and the Jets were 2-14, hell make it 1-15 that would be plausible, and Rosen had a completion percentage at around 48%....Bowles would be fired of course, but there would be mad pitchforks and torches out for Maccagnan too right now.

But he LUCKED into Darnold and is now picking a HC...unreal.

• Post of the Week 1

Very possible. 
The question I keep coming back to is: Why did McCarthy only have one interview? And, if everyone is right that living in the NYC area is not high on his family's wish list, then why was his only interview with us?

Cause he is coming of 2 losing seasons with Aaron Rodgers. He got fired mid season, which is very hard to do in the NFL. Especially after you win a SB with an organization

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I know they had to play it like they weren’t interested, but there’s never been another real option. If they sign him, they need to not dick around with the contract. No two years and let’s see type of sh*t. Give him 4-5 years guaranteed, $8mil, get him in here. Did you know Woody pulls down $85 mil a year in income from this crappy football team? It’d be pennies to him to pay a good coach and set the relationship on the right foot with that type of length of contact. And it tells our young QB to breathe a little because there is going to be one guy for the rest of HIS contract. Gotta do this right. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think it's funny that only 2 coaches got fired during the season, and in both instances the QBs attitude was good riddance. Now people think McCarthy would want to go from 1 of those QBs to the other.

I think McCarthy from the first moment he was fired,  had only one team on his radar. And that was Sam Darnold's Jets. Especially after he saw him play well vs the Packers. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Jets fans are the worst at outsmarting themselves. Only thing that makes a diff is Money and final say...and it’s not my money. Anyone making an argument against 127-75 + SB + playoff games galore vs 6-7 in Baylor is borderline retarded.

If Andy Reid wanted to coach here after getting fired from Philly and back to back losing seasons Jets fans would have roasted him too

• Upvote 2

Why isn’t McCarthy hired  yet? Is it about money, the structure of the deal or please don’t tell me the jets are stupid enough to go with some untested college coach? The only legitimate reason I can see if they are still thinking gase? But really? 

Mccarthy vs gase isn’t even close. Don’t screw this up jets! 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Why isn’t McCarthy hired  yet? Is it about money, the structure of the deal or please don’t tell me the jets are stupid enough to go with some untested college coach? The only legitimate reason I can see if they are still thinking gase? But really? 

Mccarthy vs gase isn’t even close. Don’t screw this up jets! 

Because he plays old played out offensive football, and if it wasn’t for the best QB on the planet he would be a QB coach somewhere.

• Thumb Down 1