Hall of Famer Bill Parcells says Kevin Mawae is 'the best center I’ve ever had'

Jet Nut

By: Anthony Talarico | January 18, 2019 9:53 am ET

Not too many people would dare challenge the football knowledge of Bill Parcells.

The Hall of Famer had the privilege of coaching some of the NFL’s most talented athletes over his 19-year career. That includes former Jets center Kevin Mawae, who is a Hall of Fame finalist for the third time in a row this year.

In an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio this week, Parcells advocated for Mawae’s induction into Canton.

“I thought Kevin was a tremendous player,” Parcells said. “The only guy in his era that I think compared with him is Dermontti Dawson.  Dermontti Dawson is in the Hall of Fame.  I thought those two guys were head and shoulders the best two.  And if you look at Kevin, the teams he’s played on, everywhere he went they had a 1000-yard rusher. … So that should tell you something.  It’s a vital position on the offensive line.  There are no plays off there.  You are right in the middle of it all the time.  He was terrific.  He could pull, he could cut guys off.  I just think he’s a tremendous player.  He’s the best center I ever had, by far, and he’s one of the best I’ve seen as well.”

That’s high praise from Mawae’s former head coach. Who better to vouch for Hall of Fame legitimacy than a man who has a gold jacket in his own closet?

Mawae spent 15 seasons in the NFL, playing from 1994-2009. He started his career in Seattle for four seasons, followed by eight years with the Jets. He then finished his career with the Titans.

Mawae was named a Pro Bowler eight times and a first-team All-Pro three times. Mawae accumulated the majority of these nominations while in New York. He represented the Jets as a Pro Bowler in six of his eight seasons with the franchise and made first-team All-Pro in 1999 and 2001.

Without a doubt, the most impressive accomplishment of Mawae’s NFL career was his failure to miss a game from 1995-2004. In New York alone, he suited up and started in all 118 of the games he could’ve played.

The Hall of Fame’s selection committee is scheduled to meet on Feb. 2 in Atlanta to selected the CLass of 2019. They will pick four to eight new Hall of Famers, including, but not limited to, picks from the seniors and contributors committees. To make the cut, a finalist needs an 80-percent “yes” vote.

While there is no guarantee that Mawae sees this year’s enshrinement ceremony, it doesn’t hurt to have a legend like Parcells in his corner.

Always said he was better than Mangold. I remember a game against Miami, and we kept having Mawae pull to the right, and pave the way for Curtis, and Miami had no answer for it.

Kevin would come tearing around the corner & the Fins CBs eyes were like saucers, they wanted no part of Mawae. 

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mangold was better IMO.  

But both belong in the HOF.

Mawae was better, he will make the hall. Mangold was great and will have a harder time making the hall.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tough one.  Nice to be able to have that debate about at least one position on the field the Jets have done well at acquiring/drafting, historically.

Well, up until Idzik/Maccagnan, that is. 

Centers and long snappers are the 2 positions we've been really good at for decades

Mawae was fantastic at pulling and getting to the second level, especially against 4-3 alignments. Mangold was a brilliant tactician and terrific at the point of attack. Both belong in the HoF, but since this is about Mawae, let's keep it that. Hopefully the voters don't slight him for having played for the Jets.

1 minute ago, Jetworks said:

Mawae was fantastic at pulling and getting to the second level, especially against 4-3 alignments. Mangold was a brilliant tactician and terrific at the point of attack. Both belong in the HoF, but since this is about Mawae, let's keep it that. Hopefully the voters don't slight him for having played for the Jets.

They’ve already snubbed Mawae a few times.  If he played for the Steelers or Giants he would have been first ballot

35 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If you could play two Spencer Longs in place of one Kevin Mawae, would you?

(Snapping would still be an issue, maybe the 2nd Spencer Long could pick up the bad snap and hand it to Sam Darnold).

Remember Mawae against Big Jenks in the Jet Titan game?

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Always said he was better than Mangold. I remember a game against Miami, and we kept having Mawae pull to the right, and pave the way for Curtis, and Miami had no answer for it.

Kevin would come tearing around the corner & the Fins CBs eyes were like saucers, they wanted no part of Mawae. 

i remeber how mawae used to like going against the doltfins and controlling zach thomas.  that miami team was just so full of loud mouths and mawae silenced them.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

They’ve already snubbed Mawae a few times.  If he played for the Steelers or Giants he would have been first ballot

Well, he'd also have at least 2 Super Bowl rings which always helps a person's case for induction.  Even just getting to Super Bowls helps.  It's a similar issue for Klecko.  Great player, never got to a Super Bowl.  It's a perception thing sometimes unfortunately because both Klecko and Mawae deserve to be in the HOF.

Look at Dwight Stephenson from the Miami Dolphins.  Played Center for only 8 seasons (114 games), considered the best Center in the NFL during those years and made 5 Pro Bowls but played in 2 Super Bowls.  He was inducted into the HOF in 1998.

Mawae was an 8X Pro Bowler and 7X All Pro (three times 1st Team), and was named to the NFL 2000's All Decade Team.....but never reached a Super Bowl.

I think about 8 Centers in the "Modern Era" (post 1960) have been inducted.  Mawae deserves to be there.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

For 20 years we were spoiled with elite Center play between Mawae and Mangold.  We need to find our next great Center!

Getting Mangold made it so we didn't really miss Mawae as much as we otherwise would have.  Like Rodgers replacing Favre.  You don't know how lucky you were until you end up with Wesley Johnson and scratch your head.

Kevin Mawae was the most dominant center the Jets ever had.  Mangold was a tremendous center, a brilliant "tactician" as has been mentioned here.  But Mawae was a force.  Both here and in Seattle.  It's funny how the Pouncey's of the world get all the kudos, but a player of Kevin Mawae's stature somehow gets overlooked.  Tremendous citizen also.  A very visible and important morale presence after 9/11, as were a lot of the Jets, while working with the Salvation Army.

3 hours ago, Jetworks said:

When Mawae was on the field he was the boss. That OL operated like a well oiled machine under his direction.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He is.  How is he not in the hall of fame?

I think being associated with the Jets unfortunately hurts.

He should have been a first ballot HOF and without question.

IMO if Mawae was associated with the Raiders for example he would be in the HOF..........

It is clear to me, unfair yes, but clear......

P.S.  I just saw you said the same exact thing above!!!!!

Archived