Jets Place 2nd Round Tender on Anderson

JetFreak89

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

45 minutes ago, slats said:

The difference between the first and second round tenders is $1.3M. A pittance to protect against having to match a bad contract. 

I think the odds of Maccagnan finding a player as good as Anderson in the second round are incredibly low. 

You are 100% correct!!

Why take the risk of losing one of our few skill players for what amounts to peanuts?

50 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Welp, I think most of us called this one. I really hope this isn't how the Jets recoup their 2nd rd pick this year. 

How would you feel if the Jets ended up letting Robby go for a 2nd?

Terrible.

Hes a 1,000 yard WR if he has a QB who can get him the ball.  Which of course the Jets now have.

He also is provably the best deep threat in the entire league.  He dusts just about any All Pro CB. Not his fault he would have had I think around 6 more TDs if Fitzpatrick had not underthrown him on all those routes.  And the same thing has surfaced every year he has played, but not last year. Last year he was victim of an OC who should never have been an OC, along with an HC who should never have been an HC.

Jets going to be able to replace that with a 2nd rounder?  I don’t think so.

i hope I’m wrong, but I think they lose him.

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Finding guys that run in a straight line really fast and drop half the balls thrown at them actually isn’t that hard to find in the second round. 

This time a million percent.  I dont get so many jets fans over valuing players we have because they are average or have some niche. Anderson is just not that good and a head aches with off field issues. I hope we we can get a 2nd for him that would be great. 

This guy literally lost us how many games because he cant catch or finish routes.

Let's upgrade and move on

55 minutes ago, slats said:

The difference between the first and second round tenders is $1.3M. A pittance to protect against having to match a bad contract. 

I think the odds of Maccagnan finding a player as good as Anderson in the second round are incredibly low. 

This. Not just second round, but how about late 2nd round.

We discussed this plenty in the past couple months. Tagging him for a 1st round tender was a no-brainer. Even more so in an offseason with a weak FA WR class. 

So what's going to be his brilliant answer if a perennial playoff team - e.g. Steelers - offers Anderson $12MM/year right after the draft - or whatever number Macc doesn't want to match - after clearing Brown's salary off their cap? We're going to get their late 2nd rounder in 2020? Whoopie. That's a trade value of a late 3rd rounder.  

What a ****ing idiot, missing another easy layup. 

This is the right move.  He isn't going anywhere, unless some team signs him to a ridiculous tender. The Jets are betting that if some other team signs him, it will be for less of an increase than the 1.3 million difference in the first round tender that some posters are citing. It's not much of a gamble.  Then the Jets will either sign him to that offer, or take the second round pick.  No reason to panic.  The Jets still hold the cards.

52 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the odds of Maccagnan finding his glasses are also incredibly low.

Jeez, I didn’t know that the difference between a 1st and a 2nd Rd tender was that low...miser move.  Jets or Mets their ownerships operate like they’re in South Dakota, definitely not NY.

Like with the Mets they’re now worth I think $2B, why can’t their owners just sell the team and stop torturing the stupid fans who will pay to see a product never built to try to win it all but to at best be competitive which of course brings some suckers in.  Not that it matters because they get all the TV money just like the Jets.

$2Bill not enough for the owners to live on?  They have to stay owners?  They have to know the fans hate them.

18 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Welp, I think most of us called this one. I really hope this isn't how the Jets recoup their 2nd rd pick this year. 

How would you feel if the Jets ended up letting Robby go for a 2nd?

Who says we'd recoup a 2nd rounder this year? It could easily be a 2nd rounder next year if Robby signs an offer sheet from someone after the 2nd round of the draft is over. 

How would you feel if the Jets let Robby go for the 61st pick not even in 2019 but in 2020, leaving the 2019 Jets with a WR corps of Enunwa, whatever mid/low level WR we sign in FA, and the 3rd-4th round project WR they draft?

So much for the notion that he's learning and getting better at this.

***edit: cutoff is April 19th, before the draft. Still unnecessary for all the other reasons. Upside is saving ~$1MM when the team has $100MM to spend.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who says we'd recoup a 2nd rounder this year? It could easily be a 2nd rounder next year if Robby signs an offer sheet from someone after the 2nd round of the draft is over. 

How would you feel if the Jets let Robby go for the 61st pick not even in 2019 but in 2020, leaving the 2019 Jets with a WR corps of Enunwa, whatever mid/low level WR we sign in FA, and the 3rd-4th round project WR they draft?

Yes but in reality, Jets have a decent amount of cap space, so any offer another team will give RA the Jets will likely match. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That can't happen. The signing period for RFAs ends a week before the draft. Any pick would be this year.

17 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is the right move.  He isn't going anywhere, unless some team signs him to a ridiculous tender. The Jets are betting that if some other team signs him, it will be for less of an increase than the 1.3 million difference in the first round tender that some posters are citing. It's not much of a gamble.  Then the Jets will either sign him to that offer, or take the second round pick.  No reason to panic.  The Jets still hold the cards.

Hope you're right but it still makes me nervous.

more love being showed anderson with this move than he was seeing during the season or when he threw his helmet or was caught speeding and threatening a cop.  you can't have it both ways.  anderson is a good receiver especially when considering he was a free agent but he still hasn't become a reliable deep threat.  granted the jets haven't had a qb or oline to allow reliable deep throws but still.  and since the jets can match the offer then what's not to like?  it just a way to establish his value for this season.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We discussed this plenty in the past couple months. Tagging him for a 1st round tender was a no-brainer. Even more so in an offseason with a weak FA WR class. 

So what's going to be his brilliant answer if a perennial playoff team - e.g. Steelers - offers Anderson $12MM/year right after the draft - or whatever number Macc doesn't want to match - after clearing Brown's salary off their cap? We're going to get their late 2nd rounder in 2020? Whoopie. That's a trade value of a late 3rd rounder.  

The deadline to sign RFAs to an offer sheet is right before the draft so it won't result in a 2020 pick.

This is a good move.

It will set the market value for Anderson.  If the Jets like him, all they have to do is match, and it will probably be cheaper then they would have to pay if he has a breakout season in 19.

If they really want him gone, they get a 2nd.  Really can't see much down side

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Finding guys that run in a straight line really fast and drop half the balls thrown at them actually isn’t that hard to find in the second round. 

Yes.  That's how we ended up with Stephen Hill and Devin Smith.

As for Robby, context is valuable here.  From the time Darnold came back on the field vs. BUF, Anderson's next 3 games were:

20 receptions for 312 yards, 3 TDs, catch rate of 65%. 

Way better than he was showing under McCown or 1st-half of the season Sam.  The last game vs. NE was an abomination all around so I'm not sure how to value those stats.  It's a small sample, but Robby flashed a real connection with Sam that you can't just 'replace' in the 2nd round with a random pick.  Considering our entire WR core signed for 2019 consists of Quincy Enunwa and Charone Peake, I think we can benefit from hanging onto the guys who actually performed decently in 2018.  That means Robby and probably Burnett.  

Anderson is what he is. He's a nice player, and It would suck to lose him, but lets not get carried away here. There are a handful of options out there via mid to late round deal that could fill that role. I don't mind the 2nd rd tender at all. If someone steals him away, so be it. I'll take the 2 and be fine. 

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Stop calling guys by their first name. It's weird.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Robby Anderson: At least he's not Stephen Hill. Kaboom.

No he's not, but letting him walk and thinking you'll just magically draft his replacement in round 2 is how you can end up with the next Stephen Hill.  Robby is a known quantity who had a great rapport with Sam after Sam came back from his injury.  Random 2019 2nd round WR may be a little better, but could very easily be a whole lot worse.  If Robby walks, we have 2 signed WRs, one of whom is Charone Peake and the other of whom hasn't played a meaningful down of football in 2 years.  

If we could find UDFAs every year, and turn them into second round picks, that’d be cool. 

It’d also be cool if every year we could sign free agents and flip them for third round picks, a la Teddy B. 

But what would be REALLY cool, is if we could actually draft talented players in the second and third rounds. 

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No he's not, but letting him walk and thinking you'll just magically draft his replacement in round 2 is how you can end up with the next Stephen Hill.  Robby is a known quantity who had a great rapport with Sam after Sam came back from his injury.  Random 2019 2nd round WR may be a little better, but could very easily be a whole lot worse.  If Robby walks, we have 2 signed WRs, one of whom is Charone Peake and the other of whom hasn't played a meaningful down of football in 2 years.  

wat if we end up with stephen hill in all the rounds nobody is even thinking about that one

This made the most sense. A first gave the team no options, this gives them the chance to potentially gauge his market and make a move.

Either he's on a one year, signed to a new deal for his worth or the Jets get a second. I'm good with any of these scenarios,

7 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

This made the most sense. A first gave the team no options, this gives them the chance to potentially gauge his market and make a move.

Either he's on a one year, signed to a new deal for his worth or the Jets get a second. I'm good with any of these scenarios,

Agreed.  I don't mind the 2nd round tender, but I do hope we re-sign him.  Like many, I don't see him getting a mind-blowing offer from anyone - on top of the 2nd round pick cost - that we wouldn't be willing to match.  And I'm skeptical, given our cap room, that any team will devote much effort to signing him to an offer sheet in the first place.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Now I’m convinced...he’s gone.

Jets of course don’t have a #1 but now they won’t even have anyone who can keep D’s somewhat honest.  They never have to worry about getting gashed by the run, not with that Oline.

Just Total incompetence continues.

He was showing he had expanded his route tree also.

Once again, this is a 1,000 yard per year WR IF he has a QB who can get him the ball.  

How much are receivers like that worth?  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh jeeze. Thanks for the info, I wasnt aware this was possible. I thought there was a designated period where you could make an offer to other teams RFA's.  Makes me feel even stronger that they should have used a first rd tender. Would provide the team additional security and you're also making a bit of a good will gesture to Robby in giving him more money this year before he gets his contract. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Terrible.

Hes a 1,000 yard WR if he has a QB who can get him the ball.  Which of course the Jets now have.

He also is provably the best deep threat in the entire league.  He dusts just about any All Pro CB. Not his fault he would have had I think around 6 more TDs if Fitzpatrick had not underthrown him on all those routes.  And the same thing has surfaced every year he has played, but not last year. Last year he was victim of an OC who should never have been an OC, along with an HC who should never have been an HC.

Jets going to be able to replace that with a 2nd rounder?  I don’t think so.

i hope I’m wrong, but I think they lose him.

Was watching the 10 Best Plays of last season yesterday on the Jets Twitter. 3 of the top 5 plays were fantastic TD passes between Darnold and Robby. On each TD Robby came down with a great catch on contested balls. He doesnt have bulk to go with his height but I had underestimated how good he has gotten at using his hands on those contested balls. IMO this kid has continued to improve every year. If he shows up to training camp with no incidents over this summer I want him signed before week one. I want him on a contract based on what he has produced so far and I would not give him a chance to have a break out season with Sam and hit Darnold. Get it done this summer!

Archived