Anyone remember Post of the Week ?

Maxman

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah it would be neat. Can you do a Top 5?

Have a possible technical solution. We are going to pay a programmer to automate this @GreenBeans used to spend 10 hours on it. I basically want the POTW in the rep to be the trigger. But at the same time we could use all positive rep as the POTW vote.

What does everyone think, a POTW button alone or all positive rep counts?

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Have a possible technical solution. We are going to pay a programmer to automate this @GreenBeans used to spend 10 hours on it. I basically want the POTW in the rep to be the trigger. But at the same time we could use all positive rep as the POTW vote.

All positive reps. 

It will clearly show what the post of the week was. 

27 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What ever is easiest.

Yeah POTW was great. using rep is best I think because it will really show what is the post of the week, vs if it is a button some people might start using that for everything, or really good posts that everyone liked might not get hit because maybe that button was already used that week for another post. 

using positive rep makes the most sense. I don't remember someone actually spending that much time on it, but I can say those 10 hours were well worth it. you kick ass @GreenBeans

Have a possible technical solution. We are going to pay a programmer to automate this [mention=5466]GreenBeans[/mention] used to spend 10 hours on it. I basically want the POTW in the rep to be the trigger. But at the same time we could use all positive rep as the POTW vote.
If you have a programmer come in and make one based on positive reps could we also do one on negative reps? Maybe buttfumble of the week?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm not sure if I was around for GB's version or not.  But I do remember when EY used to do them and while the posts were cool to reflect on and what not kind of sort of, his commentary was the best part.  Not sure how much time he used to spend but I think he used to pick them out himself whereas this version would do that for you.  So I think if you incorporated that somehow, it would be fun and successful.  Otherwise, meh.  I guessed I'd look and be like cool, congrats or get excited if I won or something but it wouldnt be like omg this is great.

Or if you take like the top 5 rep'd posts from the week and have people vote on which one is the POTW.  I would think that would draw more interest and dialogue, etc.  I think that would also be the most fair way to judge the POTW because some posts that might be great dont get as many views depending on the time of the post in a thread or the thread's overall activity.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

We used to do this thing call post of the week here. Anyone remember it? People have asked for it over the years, and I think we have a way to do it again.

Should we bring it back?

A resounding yes.  But actually can we have it as "Post of the year" and vote on it at the end of the calendar year?  I tried to get that going for the past couple of years but it never caught on.

One other thing - there's a green up arrow for "up vote" and a heart for "like".  Aren't these basically the same thing?  Can't we do something with one of the icons (preferably the "like" since the "up vote" is the default).  A Mehta icon would still be funny but it would probably be too similar to "butt fumble".  Maybe a "This" icon? 

Or maybe we can create a thread with suggestions and then a poll for the suggestions to see what people think?  (Though I realize this place isn't a democracy).  And that's fine because a democracy is like 2 Snacks Harrisons and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner.

40 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

I nominate myself to say ill help with it and then drop the ball

Why should this be any different?  I try to save that for the office.

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

One other thing - there's a green up arrow for "up vote" and a heart for "like".  Aren't these basically the same thing?  Can't we do something with one of the icons (preferably the "like" since the "up vote" is the default).  A Mehta icon would still be funny but it would probably be too similar to "butt fumble".  Maybe a "This" icon? 

The tough one is the "Haha."  Are they laughing with you, or at you?

Maxman - are you going to have a way to add up the POTW winners and then we can award a POTY based off each week's winner?  Or maybe the person who gets the number of POTW wins for that year is the poster of the year?  

Also, when does the week begin?  12AM on Sunday feels like the standard but, during the season, it feels like the week ends after the Monday night game ends.  So maybe like midnight on Monday?  Or 1AM on Tuesday (depending on OT)?

Archived