My Breakdowns of Our Draft Picks

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Austin feels like a throw away pick, you never expect much from a 6th round pick but if he can stay healthy and makes the roster I'd be happy. Not sure who I preferred at that slot but a CB with 1 knee injuries in less than a year was not on my radar.

Kid is supposed to be a good one if he can stay healthy a lot of people I know affiliated with Rutgers are very high on this kid and say if healthy could have gone in 1st-2nd round. 

• Upvote 3

Thinking about this some more, if I am in Mac’s shoes I am looking at 2 scenarios, being reasonable and giving him the benefit of the doubt:

• Assuming Quinnen over Allen was the right pick, and Polite was the right pick, I would tried to trade whatever picks I had to both move up on round 3 and get another 4th round pick, even if using a third next year.  Given the OL available in this year’s draft, more picks in rounds 3 and 4 could have gotten guys like Michael Jordan and Cajuste.   The TE picked was ok.  We did not need Cashman.  We need not need Austin-Harmon was the better pick.
  • If Allen was really the right pick over Quinnen, the third round picks get used for OL.  Wesco is fine.  The need to trade up is less.  Maybe Gaillard over Cashman.  Same thought on Austin.  

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Kid is supposed to be a good one if he can stay healthy a lot of people I know affiliated with Rutgers are very high on this kid and say if healthy could have gone in 1st-2nd round. 

Yes. Probably was the best corner in the Big 10 before the injury.

In my estimation I believe Mac is trying to finally play the long game other good GMs have mastered. QW takes over for Leo when Leo gets big contract with Shepherd taking A GAP duties. Cashman takes over for Lee leaving as FA. Chume Edoga takes RT for Shell moving to LT, or straight up for Beachum. I’m hoping he learns how to play the Compensatory game. We could possibly get a 3rd, 5th & 6th in 2021

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

For those who don't want to watch

- Wanted a trade down, happy with Williams over Allen

- Happy with Polite pick

- Think Jets panicked when McGovern was taken at #90 but overall don't mind the Edoga pick

- Wasn't feeling TE in the 4th but with Herndon suspension looming I can live with it. Prides himself on his blocking ability

- Cashman looks like a hell of a player on tape and could be a really good fit on special teams

- Austin feels like a throw away pick, you never expect much from a 6th round pick but if he can stay healthy and makes the roster I'd be happy. Not sure who I preferred at that slot but a CB with 1 knee injuries in less than a year was not on my radar.

Is that you?

If it is, excellent job.   I think that Wesco is going to have a bit more impact then you do, but ya did a great job.

And yes, the Snoopy hat is very cool.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Is that you?

If it is, excellent job.   I think that Wesco is going to have a bit more impact then you do, but ya did a great job.

And yes, the Snoopy hat is very cool.

Haha yeah that's me, thank you! The hat has become a staple ?. I'm hoping Wesco will be more impactful but it's tough to tell since he's really only been utilized for 1 year.

• Upvote 1

imo the williams pick over allen was the right choice.  they couldn't trade back so they had to pick the best player.  and it's not like in 2015 when they had wilky and shelly and still chose williams.  there wasn't much need for a third wheel given how well wilky and shelly were playing.  as for the rest of the draft, polite does seem like a significant upgrade over the guys they currently have and is certainly a better pick than mauldin was.  and it's good they finally used a decent round to pick oline.  he's probably a better choice than ducasse was.  as for the rest, imo, too many injuries.

• Upvote 1

What I'm EXPECTING:

1)At least 4 of those players are expected to hit the ground running. I'm tired of Mac's sh*tty drafts and players taking 3 years to develop. I want rookies that can help the Jets win games this season.

2) Williams should have better than 50 tackles and 4 or 5 sacks.

3) Polite should have 5 sacks in more limited playing time

Now, before you go off the deep end contending this isn't fair, remember Mac has NEVER gotten significant contributions out of his drafted players besides Jamal in 2017.

It's normal and a league wide expectation to have your rookies contribute to winning. However, Mac is a colossal failure in that regard as a GM. So isn't it about time he started doing the job he was hired to do?

• Upvote 2

Sams favorite players will be Wesco, Chuma & our 5th rounder KO. These 3 getting physical to let Sammy, Le'veon and the rest of offense do there thing will paramount.

Sam can cheer Q & Polite from the sideline. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, jetsons said:

McGovern is 25 yrs old... Edoga is 21 & was tied for 1st in pass protection...  I'm confident that Harrison will okay with Pollack as the OL coach.

The rookie Connor McGovern was born on November 3, 1997. He's 21, will be 22 later on this year.

There is another guy of the same name who plays for Denver who is 26 this year.

On the main point - I agree that the Jets were probably targeting McGovern with that 3rd rounder. When he, and another lineman, went just before the Jets' pick, they moved up the one spot to ensure they got Edoga.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Happy with Polite pick

- Think Jets panicked when McGovern was taken at #90 but overall don't mind the Edoga pick

- Wasn't feeling TE in the 4th but with Herndon suspension looming I can live with it. Prides himself on his blocking ability

- Cashman looks like a hell of a player on tape and could be a really good fit on special teams

- Austin feels like a throw away pick, you never expect much from a 6th round pick but if he can stay healthy and makes the roster I'd be happy. Not sure who I preferred at that slot but a CB with 1 knee injuries in less than a year was not on my radar.

Very nice. Good analysis there - I definitely agree on Josh Allen. Very straight-line, I'm glad we went Quinnen over him. And Polite looks to be a great pick, if he has his head on straight. Personally, I am very high on the Wesco pick - I think he's going to be a very valuable addition.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

Thanks for posting

You're welcome!! Thank you for watching!

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Jackai Polite could have the personality of Charles Haley as long as he's throwing QBs to the ground or stripping the ball from them.

His tape was just so much better than Allen's. I would have supported an Allen pick against my better judgement because of Greg Williams but I'm really glad we took QW and Polite instead.

8 minutes ago, edscuba said:

Think your right on with analyzes of all picks. I think Polite is going to turn out to be GREAT.

This was my favorite pick. He totally bombed his interview but I'm 100% sure that he is a better pass rusher than Allen.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, slats said:

Second contracts are expensive. Jets are now set up where if Leo prices them out, they're still strong on the DL with Quinnen on a rookie deal along with a third round comp pick in 2021. If he's affordable, the Jets should be dominant up front for the next five years. It's not a bad situation.  

Define "dominant up front".

21 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Happy with Polite pick

- Austin feels like a throw away pick, you never expect much from a 6th round pick but if he can stay healthy and makes the roster I'd be happy. Not sure who I preferred at that slot but a CB with 2 knee injuries in less than a year was not on my radar.

I didnt realize that was you. I've watched the videos before, never put it together that you were "you" lol. 

Good job on the videos man. The hat leaves the casual observer the impression that you're not quite well, psychologically, emotionally, etc. (Think tinfoil hat). So befitting a Jets fan. I love it. Great job! 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, MichaelScott said:

I didnt realize that was you. I've watched the videos before, never put it together that you were "you" lol. 

Good job on the videos man. The hat leaves the casual observer the impression that you're not quite well, psychologically, emotionally, etc. (Think tinfoil hat). So befitting a Jets fan. I love it. Great job! 

@bla bla bla Also, regarding Austin, I actually like the pick quite a bit. You're right, 90% of the time 6th and 7th rounders are throw away picks. ESPECIALLY with this GM. I've read and heard so many reports that this kid is REALLY good, when he is able to play. We've wasted so many higher picks on players with high injury risks, I have zero problem spending a 6th on a player with a huge red flag but (apparently) exceptional skills. Those kinds of risks are what I like to see with 6th and 7th rounders. 

21 hours ago, jetsons said:

McGovern is 25 yrs old... Edoga is 21 & was tied for 1st in pass protection...  I'm confident that Harrison will okay with Pollack as the OL coach.

And we have plenty of cap room to assume another team's cap casualty at Center. 

If one of the centers we passed on has a good camp they are likely unseating a veteran that will be too expensive to hang on to as a backup. The packers drafted Elgton Jenkins but still have Corey Linsley around. I would assume they wouldn't mind trading Linsley if Jenkins wins the job. With many teams set at Center and/or dealing with cap issues we could swoop in and get him for pennies on the dollar. 

Not to mention the FA vets lingering out there that could provide some depth as well. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

In my estimation I believe Mac is trying to finally play the long game other good GMs have mastered. QW takes over for Leo when Leo gets big contract with Shepherd taking A GAP duties.  

Nathan Shepherd is worthless and cannot be in the team's long term plans in any real way shape or form 

hes a 26 year old who did nothing last season 

The QW pick makes more sense if they keep Leo and unleash them both inside on 3rd and long 

that's how they built the Sack Exchange 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nathan Shepherd is worthless and cannot be in the team's long term plans in any real way shape or form 

The QW pick makes more sense if they keep Leo and unleash them both inside on 3rd and long 

Shepherd is from a small school transitioning to the Pro level. 3rd rd. picks generally do not start day 1 and dominate....

Perhaps we can see how he does this year before condemning him?

• Upvote 3

On 5/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, bla bla bla said:

- Happy with Polite pick

- Austin feels like a throw away pick, you never expect much from a 6th round pick but if he can stay healthy and makes the roster I'd be happy. Not sure who I preferred at that slot but a CB with 2 knee injuries in less than a year was not on my radar.

Thanks for posting here -- pleasant surprise.  I have been enjoying your videos and am sub'd to your channel.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Hope you're right.  Injuries are 100% the concern here.  I wonder if the Jets are essentially going to give him a redshirt season, focus on his recovery and health, then work him into the Practice Squad so that he really just targets 2020 as his year 1.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bitonti said:

February 05, 2019

Jets DL Nathan Shepherd 'Not Satisfied' with His Rookie Year

/assets/images/imported/NYJ/Lange_Randy-headshot.jpg

Randy Lange

NYJETS.COM CONTRIBUTOR

E_MKII0331-shepherd-thumb

Among the members of the Jets organization who were on hand to greet new head coach Adam Gase last week was defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd, the third-round selection in last April's draft.

"It was great to meet him," Shepherd said. "I know he's ready to get to work, and I'm getting ready to get to work. My initial reaction is he's a guy that wants to have his office door open. Luckily for me I'm going to be in the building during the offseason, so I'm looking forward to getting to know him."

Shepherd is a thoughtful, studious fellow who came to the Green & White with all those life experiences from growing up in Canada, playing at Simon Fraser University, leaving football and college for a few years to pursue factory and construction work, then returning to the game he loves at Division II Fort Hays State in Kansas.

He had a realistic take on his first season in the pros.

"I would definitely say that I'm not satisfied," Shepherd said. "I have made some good progressions throughout the season, just watching all the tape and stuff like that. But it was definitely not enough for me. I'm nothing more than motivated going into the offseason."

E__D4_1355

It was a fairly quiet first season with the Jets, yet one that had some interesting numbers down in the trenches.

For starters, Shepherd was a starter in his first pro game, the Monday night opener at Detroit, and made five starts in all, over the first 10 games. He was always available, having been listed as full-go for every practice, on the injury report for only two weeks, and playing in all 16 games to the tune of 343 defensive snaps.

He did contribute 6.5 tackles for loss/no gain and five QB hits. He also had a very good penalty profile. He was flagged just once all season, for illegal use of hands in the home game against New England, but he drew five holding penalties plus an unsportsmanlike conduct at Tennessee against opposing offensive linemen.

At the end of the season, he had just started devising an offseason workout plan, but he had a general idea of what the coming months would hold for him.

"I know I'm going to the NFLPA Summit, and the NFL is putting on a few programs again in personal finance and business.," he said. "Aside from that, we're looking forward to having my family come and visit me. And I'll be training out here because I'll be in New Jersey for the offseason."

He'll also continue to apply the lessons he said that former head coach Todd Bowles had imparted to him and the Jets before he moved on at the end of the season.

"One thing that Coach Bowles prepared us for is facing adversity, not quitting for sure, and being able to think on the fly and adjust and adapt," he said. "So that's something that moving forward, we're all going to look to do for whatever challenges we have ahead."

image.gif

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

"One thing that Coach Bowles prepared us for is facing adversity, not quitting for sure, and being able to think on the fly and adjust and adapt," he said. 

image.gif

That'll be the same Coach Bowles that was useless in the face of adversity, quit when the going got tough, and who couldn't think on the fly, adjust or adapt.

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

Thanks for posting. I always like watching your videos. And I agree with most of the stuff you talk about.

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Thanks for posting here -- pleasant surprise.  I have been enjoying your videos and am sub'd to your channel.

Thank you!!