[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

For what it's worth Emory Hunt said Shepherd was one of the stand out's at OTA's  on the JN pod cast

No pads, no contact OTA. For a DT, tough eval.

I'm sure he's a try hard guy with excellent work ethic, he worked his way from working the door at a bar to a College roster and got drafted into the NFL. High character, high motor, brings his lunchpail to work guy. All the standard platitudes. But he's a 3rd day talent and rotational D Lineman. 

Great guy to have on the team for depth. Not a 3rd rounder. Not HIS fault he was overdrafted by Mac. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it annoys you, I will surely keep it going.

John Idzik:  Hired by Korn Ferry.

Mike Maccagnan:  Hired by Charlie Casserly

Joe Douglas:  Super Bowl winning VP of Player Personnel hired because of a relationship with our HC. 

Definitely the same caliber of hire as the previous 2 guys.  Definitely. 

You have no idea what you are talking about and probably made the same post 4 years ago pointing how Wolf has a proven NFL/SB track record  and Mac was a football guy as opposed to the last 2 bean counters

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Fair point.  That comment was relaying what I heard from the Philly writer.  Maybe he (or I) overstated Douglas' impact on the SB roster.  

FWIW I listened to the same podcast. The Philly writer gave Douglas a lot of credit for bringing in Alshon, identifying the type of players that fit with what the Eagles were trying to do both from a coaching/scheme and front office perspective, and putting together a pipeline of talent. Regarding the drafts he was in charge of, the writer said the results are not yet evident more so because of the talent in the starting lineup rather than that the picks have been busts. Most are still on the roster, the coaches love them, and they started getting snaps and producing towards the end of the year when injuries started taking their toll. Two players I specifically remember him mentioning are 4th round pick Avonte Maddox who played all over the secondary and played so well that he might take Malcom Jenkins starting job this year, and I believe a 6th round tackle who they are ecstatic about and had to keep on the 53 man roster because they were terrified he'd be plucked off the practice squad.

Obviously none of us can speak to just how much of an impact Douglas has had on the Eagles recent string of success, and I don't know how much the Philly writer can reasonably espouse on that either. But if what he's saying is true regarding Philly's roster construction, well then that's pretty much what we've been looking for in a GM for decades. The reason teams like the Ravens, the Pats (aside from BB and Brady), the Steelers, possibly the Eagles, have been able to be successful for years on end is that they've been able to fill that talent pipeline. When one guy moves on, what do you know, someone else is there to fill their place. If we're going to maximize Darnold's window and create some form of sustainable long-term success we need to put the same type of operation in place. From everything I've heard Douglas seems like the best candidate to do so. I have no idea if it will pan out that way or if Douglas is getting way more credit than he deserves, but all we can go on at this point is the information that's out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s true to a certain degree.  It’s not like all these failed draft picks by Maccagnan have gone on to other teams and have had success.  They are out of the league already.  Bowles was bad yes, but I don’t think he is to blame for Maccagnan’s failures.  

But again I'd contend that first development camp/year  a player takes part in goes a long way to helping shape their career. There are obvious outliers who are either true busts or guys who had the skill , desire and motivation to make it regardless of a CS. Again I guess my point is its not really prudent to judge a GM solely by the success of the players he's drafted.

10 minutes ago, CTM said:

You have no idea what you are talking about and probably made the same post 4 years ago pointing how Wolf has a proven NFL/SB track record  and Mac was a football guy as opposed to the last 2 bean counters 

Honestly, I don't remember praising or knocking Maccagnan himself at the time he was hired.  I was happy that Woody was allowing "football people" to make the decision, but that's about all I remember. 

Difference here is that Gase is the HC, not some mercenary brought in to make the hire for Woody.  Gase is motivated to get this right, and is bringing in someone he likes and is comfortable with.  It's a very different process than what we've experienced before. 

In any event....who cares?  Either we nail this GM hire and everyone is happy, or we don't and we're right back where we started.  Nothing I say has anything to do with that.  The net impact is that it annoys JiF, so I call that a win. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Is Nate Shepherd ever going to be other than what he is/was? An older prospect from a Div 3 program with Day 3 talent?

Was Lorenzo Mauldin going to get faster?

Was D Lee going to grow into a 3-4 ILB instead of a WLB trying to play in a 3-4?

Are Sylan Donahue, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, and a plethora of others ever going to make an NFL 53?

Bowles was trash. But so was Mac. It was a perfect storm of crap. It was....Craptacular. 

The NFL isn't the type of league where you get multilple chances to shine. You can't go down to the minors and work on your game in live game action. The first TC and season of a young players development are often critical to how their career's progress  Some of these guys may have had a better level of success if they had their their first NFL training camps under a HC and staff that had an inkling of how to develop them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Fair point.  That comment was relaying what I heard from the Philly writer.  Maybe he (or I) overstated Douglas' impact on the SB roster.  

Not knocking you or the source.  I'm sure people get fluffed up during these times by the peers to make them more attractive as a candidate.  I think the league at FO level is a brotherhood from that perspective.  My point is simply, who knows? 

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Meh, 80's a walking erection lasting longer than 4-hours.  What're you gonna do?

You'd think he would've calmed down a bit now that his cherry has been popped but nope.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

And what do we have to show for it? 

Nothing.  But I was right at the time.  Compared to the likes of Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick was a conquering hero at the QB position in that 2015 season.  It's just a shame he didn't have the best OL and best defense in football to support him like Sanchez had. 

11 hours ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

aprzmx.gif.fdc2bf984fe7afaa8c4fd1f806545c5d.gif

11 hours ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

This is great news. We get two Johnson's for the price of one. Hey now.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Said every old school GM/HC that thinks ground and pound still wins football games. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he did not.  A special RB is still just a RB.  Even the best ones in the league can be deemed expendable after their rookie deals expire.  SEE:  Bell, Le'Veon.

2 hours ago, slats said:

The fact that he followed it up by taking a lesser QB prospect the following year at #6 overall would suggest that even he's second-guessing himself about that move. 

They went with the safest pick and got a pro bowl player so it wasn’t a bad choice. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Not knocking you or the source.  I'm sure people get fluffed up during these times by the peers to make them more attractive as a candidate.  I think the league at FO level is a brotherhood from that perspective.  My point is simply, who knows? 

There really is no way of knowing. Anyone who posts here is just blindly guessing for one guy vs another.

The only thing you can assume about Joe Douglas is that he knows how to scout (15 years) and has had 3-4 years of experience managing others and running things and you just hope he's learned processes from quality front office people and is willing to continue to learn on the job.

• Upvote 2

As the Jets prepare to interview Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas for their general manager vacancy, he wants to leave Philadelphia.

Or so says former NFL executive Michael Lombardi, on his podcast.
false

Via Bleeding Green Nation, here’s what Lombardi had to say about Douglas being the frontrunner for the Jets’ opening, and wanting out in Philadelphia:

“Everybody tells me it’s Joe Douglas. I mean, look, Joe Douglas, he’s going to have options. Well, Joe Douglas wants to leave Philly. I don’t think Joe Douglas is really that comfortable in Philadelphia in this current setup. The Eagles are going really extensively. They hired Andrew Berry [a former Browns executive, as vice president of football operations]. They’re going to go really with the analytics. Now, I think they’re going to do both. I think they’re going to have an analytic department and have an old-school personnel department, and see if they can bridge the two gaps. I don’t think Joe Douglas is sitting there, singing Kumbaya every single day in the office. Everybody tells me [the Jets’ vacancy] is his job. I can’t believe it’s somebody else.” 

The Jets put out requests for five GM candidate interviews, but were turned down by the Vikings’ George Paton. It’s unclear if the Saints’ Terry Fontenot will intervcandidate.iew. But Douglas, the Seahawks’ Scott Fitterer,and Bears’ Champ Kelly will. Kelly is the only one of those three who satisfies the Rooney Rule.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

View Comments (2)

SPONSOR CONTENT

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Let's be serious, the dude has spent almost 20 years of his adult life grinding his way up in the NFL. How likely is it that he's going to turn down a GM job unless he's faced with multiple offers (he's not) or the Eagles offered to promote him (obviously not happening).

Perhaps you hadn't heard, he's the most gifted and qualified GM prospect in years. A generational talent.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Via Bleeding Green Nation, here’s what Lombardi had to say about Douglas being the frontrunner for the Jets’ opening, and wanting out in Philadelphia:

“Everybody tells me it’s Joe Douglas. I mean, look, Joe Douglas, he’s going to have options. Well, Joe Douglas wants to leave Philly. I don’t think Joe Douglas is really that comfortable in Philadelphia in this current setup. The Eagles are going really extensively. They hired Andrew Berry [a former Browns executive, as vice president of football operations]. They’re going to go really with the analytics. Now, I think they’re going to do both. I think they’re going to have an analytic department and have an old-school personnel department, and see if they can bridge the two gaps. I don’t think Joe Douglas is sitting there, singing Kumbaya every single day in the office. Everybody tells me [the Jets’ vacancy] is his job. I can’t believe it’s somebody else.” CONTENT

Yikes.  He wants out because Philly hired an analytics guy?  ****.  You old school "look at the tape" cavemen are going to love this.  Gonna be great trotting a bunch of small slow guys with short arms out there.  Can't wait!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

But a bad first year doesn’t wreck a guy if he actually has ability.  The fact so many of Maccagnan’s draft picks are at home and not even on 90 man rosters right now speaks volumes just how poor he was.   These failed draft choices aren’t even getting looked at by other teams.   That’s not Bowles fault, that all on Maccagnan.  You can’t tell me that Bowles screwed up ArDarius Stewart or Chad Hansen, those guys would have been s**t with Lomabardi coaching them.  

Thank you........

HACKENBURG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulk Hogan Mic Drop GIF - HulkHogan MicDrop WWE GIFs

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

But a bad first year doesn’t wreck a guy if he actually has ability.  The fact so many of Maccagnan’s draft picks are at home and not even on 90 man rosters right now speaks volumes just how poor he was.   These failed draft choices aren’t even getting looked at by other teams.   That’s not Bowles fault, that all on Maccagnan.  You can’t tell me that Bowles screwed up ArDarius Stewart or Chad Hansen, those guys would have been s**t with Lomabardi coaching them.  

Stewart got hurt and that certainly derailed him , but there's no reason Hansen shouldn't have gotten a ton more live reps then he did . Bowles was in self preservation mode and wanted nothing to do with helping these young players through growing pains when in essence that is really all he should have been doing at that point. 

As I stated elsewhere in this thread , young players get little opportunity to shine in this league. Gm's/HC's are more likely to try and develop their own prospects then to take on a reclamation project from another . You can't use the fact some of these guys are out of the NFL as proof that they couldn't have been quality players.  Yes Mac certianly had his share of bad picks as do most GM's - knowing what to do with the players who have potential is what separates good teams form mediocre one's.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yikes.  He wants out because Philly hired an analytics guy?  ****.  You old school "look at the tape" cavemen are going to love this.  Gonna be great trotting a bunch of small slow guys with short arms out there.  Can't wait!

Or he might be trotting out guys who actually have great game film  and production.  Not just combine #'s

The reason he probably wants out is because the Eagles blocked him from a GM interview last year because they were in the play offs.  I could see blocking a coach who has to prepare for the next game, but a FO guy?  Selfish move on Roseman's part, and probably pissed Douglas off.

Eagles have a good chance to be in the play offs again.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Stewart got hurt and that certainly derailed him , but there's no reason Hansen shouldn't have gotten a ton more live reps then he did . Bowles was in self preservation mode and wanted nothing to do with helping these young players through growing pains when in essence that is really all he should have been doing at that point. 

As I stated elsewhere in this thread , young players get little opportunity to shine in this league. Gm's/HC's are more likely to try and develop their own prospects then to take on a reclamation project from another . You can't use the fact some of these guys are out of the NFL as proof that they couldn't have been quality players.  Yes Mac certianly had his share of bad picks as do most GM's - knowing what to do with the players who have potential is what separates good teams form mediocre one's.

These guys watch the players in practice. They get plenty of reps. They can tell if a kid is a bust or not. It's actually in a coaches best interest to develop young players because the more good young players you develop the more job security you have. 

Don't get me wrong, Bowles sucked but it's not like the Jets let go of these players and they developed into stars on other teams. I remember everyone begging for Hack to play. They said we can't know what we have if we don't play him. The reality was the coaching staff already knew he sucked. The same with Hansen. Guys like Anderson/Enunwa/Herndon excelled under Bowles. It's not because of Bowles, it's because they are just really good players. 

• Upvote 1

Or he might be trotting out guys who actually have great game film  and production.  Not just combine #'s
The reason he probably wants out is because the Eagles blocked him from a GM interview last year because they were in the play offs.  I could see blocking a coach who has to prepare for the next game, but a FO guy?  Selfish move on Roseman's part, and probably pissed Douglas off.
Eagles have a good chance to be in the play offs again.

Interestingly I just heard on Sirius XM that Douglas May be out. It was a quick comment but had to with control of the 53. They went on to talk about who’s left after that Patton and Douglas turned the Jets down.
This surprised me. Has anyone heard anything else out there???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, slats said:

The 18-month rumor is probably coming from people who've heard from Woody's camp that he'd like to step down from the post in that time frame. 

I think so. It's entirely possible, if the option is even there for him, that he just doesn't want to live in England for another 4 years until he's what, 77?