[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it annoys you, I will surely keep it going.

John Idzik:  Hired by Korn Ferry.

Mike Maccagnan:  Hired by Charlie Casserly

Joe Douglas:  Super Bowl winning VP of Player Personnel hired because of a relationship with our HC. 

Definitely the same caliber of hire as the previous 2 guys.  Definitely. 

and worked with Ozzie Newsome for decade and has a lot friends and connections in the league which is huge.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think Mom also owns a third.

Mom, the sister Beth, and CJ are MINORITY investors/owners in the investment company that financed Woody, who is the majority owner of New York Jets LLC, and also owner and CEO of the Johnson Company.

Woody is the only one of the crew who has actually done anything in the way of making his own money, and is the richest and most powerful member of the 4th generation Johnson family.

He also has had nothing to do with Johnson and Johnson since he was 18 when his grand father, fired his father.  

He inherited a good bit of money, and turned it into billions through real estate investing, and a cable company 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think if you're able to be a strong # 2, you're able to be a good GM. 

It's not like a Todd Bowles situation, where he was a very good DC but awful HC.  If you are good at bringing in good players onto a roster, the other tasks of being a GM either become not quite as important OR can be delegated.  If he's truly a great personnel guy (and not a fake one like Maccagnan turned out to be), he should make a very good GM. 

Eh.

A GM has to weed through tons of scouts opinions, and delegating is a skill in and of itself.  I agree that it isn't the same as going from coordinator to head coach, but that is because calling plays is such a specific skill/art.  There is also the philosophy vs. talent evaluation competencies.  

FWIW, Douglas is supposed to be all about college production.  I'm probably not going to like his draft picks.  He has supposedly softened on that stance, particularly with smaller conference guys after Pumphery was such a colossal bust.  Shelton Gibson is exactly the kind of guy I hate to draft - an over the top burner that runs 4.5.  All his profiles expected him to be one of the fastest at the combine.  Then he ran a middling time and now he sucks.  He is what I worry about with all you "film" junkies valuing highlights over timed athleticism.  See Jachai Polite.  Acega-Whiteside probably fits this production over athleticism mold also.   

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas:  Super Bowl winning VP of Player Personnel hired because of a relationship with our HC. 

Even if you had never heard of him until a few weeks ago (raising my hand), just looking into Douglas' background it is obviously much stronger than Mac and Idzik's.

Idzik had no scouting experience whatsoever. He worked for IBM before getting into contract negotiations in the NFL. 

Mac was a protege of Charlie Casserly, which isn't saying much. Casserly has been living off of the Joe Gibbs Redskins teams of the 80s and early 90s. Since then he's been a bumbling fool.

Douglas grew up in the Ravens' front office, so he's learned from some of the best scouting and personnel people around. Anything else in his background (like working for the Eagles the last few years) is just gravy.

Plus Douglas is highly-regarded, unlike Mac (relatively unknown prior to coming here), and Idzik (completely unknown prior to coming here).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Wait , how's that possible the Jets drafting has been the absolute worstest ?,. Just reinforces my point that the draft is a glorified crapshoot. Outside of a few can't miss type prospects -it's what you do with the players that's makes the difference.

Yes, the draft is a crapshoot. True. The REAL point is, do the PICKS themselves make sense?

Mac picked Leo...when the team was full of holes and DL wasn't a need or a weakness. Over the next 5 drafts, he picked, what, 4 more D linemen? 

He took Petty in the 4th, solid attempt at a developmental QB....and 2 years later he drafted Hack in the 2nd. LOL. BUT, he recognized the NEED to develop a young QB, but neglected to build a foundation for him to work and learn in. No OL before the 5th round (Harrison, Shell) until Edoga. 

BUT, after demonstrating he recognized the NEED for QB, passes on DeShaun Watson AND Mahomes for Jamal Adams (an excellent safety)....and then doubles down at safety. 

2016 he drafts a 6'1 230 lb LB, 3 years later, has to sign CJ Mosely, a completely different TYPE of LB to replace his former forst rounder. 

I could go on, but there was no rhyme or reason to Macs drafting. It was like a Tetris player who kept stacking in the same place vertically instead of trying to build bottom to top. Made ZERO SENSE. 

Every team drafts guys who underperform their position. Happens to everyone. But is there a plan? Is there a template? I'm not going to research Douglas' career, but if he demonstrates a plan, and an intention to build a team in a systematic and competent manner while taking input from the coaches who design the systems these players will be playing in, then he's a huge win. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes, the draft is a crapshoot. True. The REAL point is, do the PICKS themselves make sense?

Mac picked Leo...when the team was full of holes and DL wasn't a need or a weakness. Over the next 5 drafts, he picked, what, 4 more D linemen? 

He took Petty in the 4th, solid attempt at a developmental QB....and 2 years later he drafted Hack in the 2nd. LOL. BUT, he recognized the NEED to develop a young QB, but neglected to build a foundation for him to work and learn in. No OL before the 5th round (Harrison, Shell) until Edoga. 

BUT, after demonstrating he recognized the NEED for QB, passes on DeShaun Watson AND Mahomes for Jamal Adams (an excellent safety)....and then doubles down at safety. 

2016 he drafts a 6'1 230 lb LB, 3 years later, has to sign CJ Mosely, a completely different TYPE of LB to replace his former forst rounder. 

I could go on, but there was no rhyme or reason to Macs drafting. It was like a Tetris player who kept stacking in the same place vertically instead of trying to build bottom to top. Made ZERO SENSE. 

Every team drafts guys who underperform their position. Happens to everyone. But is there a plan? Is there a template? I'm not going to research Douglas' career, but if he demonstrates a plan, and an intention to build a team in a systematic and competent manner while taking input from the coaches who design the systems these players will be playing in, then he's a huge win. 

I'd argue we don't know that to be true. It could be Bowles and staff were the ones who were just abject failures, remember Mac didn't hire Bowles. Again I'm glad Mac is gone , but its awful easy to judge a GM simply by how their picks turn out - when in reality the CS has a large % of the responsibility once a player is drafted.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd argue we don't know that to be true. It could be Bowles and staff were the ones who were just abject failures, remember Mac didn't hire Bowles. Again I'm glad Mac is gone , but its awful easy to judge a GM simply by how their picks turn out - when in reality the CS has a large % of the responsibility once a player is drafted.

What about when they are cut and on other teams?  With other coaching staffs?  Bowles and company were so bad these guys were ruined forever?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That’s true to a certain degree.  It’s not like all these failed draft picks by Maccagnan have gone on to other teams and have had success.  They are out of the league already.  Bowles was bad yes, but I don’t think he is to blame for Maccagnan’s failures.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I agree with you to an extent.  The truth is that none of us have any idea who will or will not be a good GM.  Best we can do is look at the background & qualifications of the candidate and form an opinion. 

Douglas has about 20 years experience as an NFL personnel guy.  I listened to a podcast with a Philly wirter earlier this week who acknoweldged that Douglas has been the personnel guy that Howie Roseman leans on heaviest and has been a huge part of building the current Eagles roster.  He has been part of Super Bowl winning teams in both Baltimore and Philly.  And he has worked with Adam Gase before.  I am not aware of a another candidate with similar background (although Champ Kelly comes close).

He may of may not be a good GM.  Some guys are strong #2s that are not cut out to be the top guy.  Maybe Douglas falls into that category.  But based on his background and qualifications, I will be very happy if he gets his shot with the Jets.

This stuff is impossible for anyone that doesnt work with Joe day to day to know what he actually contributed but I have a hard time with "he was crucial part of building the Super Bowl roster"?  How so?  He joined the team in May 2016, in which 90% of the Super Bowl roster was already in place.  So he had no contribution to building the roster till 2017.  So what specifically does he get credit for?  Identifying Alshon Jeffery, Torery Smith, Blount and Robinson in FA?  That doesnt take skill.  And the last few drafts have been less than stellar and have gone down significantly from a hit ratio since Douglas joined the Eagles. 

Just seems weird to give him credit for the Super Bowl roster when they only had like 3 different starters from 16 to 17.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Is Nate Shepherd ever going to be other than what he is/was? An older prospect from a Div 3 program with Day 3 talent?

Was Lorenzo Mauldin going to get faster?

Was D Lee going to grow into a 3-4 ILB instead of a WLB trying to play in a 3-4?

Are Dylan Donahue, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, and a plethora of others ever going to make an NFL 53?

Bowles was trash. But so was Mac. It was a perfect storm of crap. It was....Craptacular. 

Edited by Jet_Engine1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

This stuff is impossible for anyone that doesnt work with Joe day to day to know what he actually contributed but I have a hard time with "he was crucial part of building the Super Bowl roster"?  How so?  He joined the team in May 2016, in which 90% of the Super Bowl roster was already in place.  So he had no contribution to building the roster till 2017.  So what specifically does he get credit for?  Identifying Alshon Jeffery, Torery Smith, Blount and Robinson in FA?  That doesnt take skill.  And the last few drafts have been less than stellar and have gone down significantly from a hit ratio since Douglas joined the Eagles. 

Just seems weird to give him credit for the Super Bowl roster when they only had like 3 different starters from 16 to 17.

Fair point.  That comment was relaying what I heard from the Philly writer.  Maybe he (or I) overstated Douglas' impact on the SB roster.  

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Be that as it may, I think we can all agree he's an upgrade over Macc.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Obviously.  But why can't we be excited about his resume?  And just look at the guy.  A low-t coffee drinker with who takes zero risks, bean counter, or glorified accountant, he is not:

Joe_Douglas.jpg

The Mountain that Drafts.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

We won't know about this guy until we see him in action.  I have some concerns, similar to what you stated above.  A lot of guys get credit when something goes well and a team wins a Super Bowl.  Look at the long list of failed HCs who have left New England....Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, etc.  There is a "halo effect" around people simply because they were there when something great happened.  That's my only fear about Douglas.  Was he a contributor, a leader, a key piece....or was he there in the backseat of the car for the ride?

I would trust the reporting about his resume and things he's done over his career as an indicator of how successful he could be.  I wouldn't give him  any extra credit for what Doug Peterson and Nick Foles did on that magical playoff run.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesnt annoy me, you're just the ultimate jinx.  lol

And technically, those candidates were "sourced" by those Korn Ferry and Casserly.  They didnt make the hiring decision.  They went thorugh an interview porcess and at the end of the day, Woody hired them.  The only difference here is, it was sourced by the Head Coach (time will tell if that's a good thing) and this will be CJ's first hire of a GM.

Carry on with jinxing Gase into failure! 

helmet.jpg

NFL insider Tony Pauline provided an update on the Jets search for a new general manager in saying that Philadelphia Eagles Vice President of Player Personnel Joe Douglas a done deal” in a tweet that was sent out yesterday.

5th from bottom "I had been led to believe all along that it would be very tough to pry Joe Douglas away from the Eagles, until last night. Someone I trust told me word is Douglas is a done deal and Jets are just going through the motions interviewing the other candidates. "

— Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) May 31, 2019

Any other candidate interviews is a case of the Jets “going through the motions” according to Pauline.  In Douglas, the Jets would be adding arguably the most respected candidate in over a decade. 

Recent GM’s have been number crunchers (Mike Tannenbaum and John Idzik) or in the case of Mike Maccagnan, a scout with less experience than Douglas, who has worked with the Eagles, Bears and on Ozzie Newsome’s staff in Baltimore for sixteen seasons.  

The post Report: Joe Douglas to Jets “Done Deal” appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-LXW4jfgE10

Click here to read the full story...

19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Is Nate Shepherd ever going to be other than what he is/was? An older prospect from a Div 3 program with Day 3 talent?

Was Lorenzo Mauldin going to get faster?

Was D Lee going to grow into a 3-4 ILB instead of a WLB trying to play in a 3-4?

Are Sylan Donahue, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, and a plethora of others ever going to make an NFL 53?

Bowles was trash. But so was Mac. It was a perfect storm of crap. It was....Craptacular. 

For what it's worth Emory Hunt said Shepherd was one of the stand out's at OTA's  on the JN pod cast

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not a clue who he was until I read about him here.

That said, isn't it fair to be somewhat optimistic about a young guy who's clearly highly regarded in league circles, who's worked for some quality organizations, and who also happens to have a positive relationship with the coach, as opposed to being the guy who'd take the job despite the coach?  I feel like this, at least, has better potential than Charlie Casserly's friend who it was reported was going to be fired when we hired him or the only guy who'd have Rex Ryan thrust upon him?

I'm not telling anyone who to feel about this. Though I question his true involvement in the building a Super Bowl team when he was only there for 1 offseason and 90% of the team was in place but feel free to be optimistic.  I'm not telling anyone not to be.  

I'm just calling out 80 for once again, giving someone a glory moniker before they've even started and this time it's about a person he didnt even know existed a week ago.

• Upvote 1