[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

1 hour ago, slats said:

The Texans wanted to talk to them about their GM opening, but the Eagles blocked it, which they could because they were in the playoffs. The Texans then went in another direction because they didn't want to lose their next candidate to another team. That's the good thing about firing Mac in May, the Jets are the only team with a GM opening right now and have the luxury of taking their time because they're not competing with anyone else for candidates. 

That’s a good point Slats. so all the talk of such bad timing may not be bad timing at all but perhaps perfect timing. If this works out will all those who called CJ a nitwit who doesn’t know what he’s doing retract their comments. Nope!

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed.  It's not quite the same as coaches where many every day fans would be more familiar than with asst GM's or Directors of college scouting.

No one knows whether or not any of these guys will end up being good GM's but I like the idea of Douglas coming primarily from the ravens FO. That's about as solid of a background as you can get. Add to it that Douglas was one of the pieces added to the Eagles FO when they went to and won the Superbowl.  He's got the pedigree and he's been under some of the best out there. 

The fact that he is buddies with Gase is the final piece which makes it a great move. Get everything Gase wants and go all in with him. F it. 

I'll add that I found myself a bit envious watching the Colts war room while Reich and Ballard were excitedly on the exact same page. 

Agreed. Either Gase is a mad genius or he is just mad, but if we are lucky enough to have found a "mad genius" then we need a GM that is on the same page (for the most part). With that said, we also don't need someone that will be a puppet, but Douglas doesn't come across as a pushover. 

For those reasons, Douglas is my first choice even if I don't know the details of every scouting report he has ever drafted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I know nothing about Douglas but the one thing I loved reading, I think it was from Mike Lombardi, is that he wants to leave philly and run his own team. He sounds motivated to prove people. Multiple people have backed him up. Gase's guy. I'm pumped about where this can go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

Woody, Chris and their mother own equal shares in the Jets. Not many people knew that but someone reported it on this board a couple of weeks ago.

The NFL requires there to be a majority owner and they list Robert Wood Johnson III as that person not "The Johnson Family" 

So while those people probably own shares, someone has a controlling interest. It would be against league rules for 3 people to have equal ownership 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Maybe we should wait until year two to decide what caliber this signing is. Also every other team could have asked to interview him in the off-season and no one did so why wouldn't it have been possible in January?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

actually the Texans did but were denied because the eagles were in the playoffs

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A hire of this caliber would not have been possible had it happened in January under the command of Chris Johnson. 

All hail Emperor Gase. 

But...but....you can't fire your GM in May, no matter how bad he is.  It just looks bad and the media will make fun of your team and everyone will scream about dysfunction...and....and...

:badmood:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not entirely true, but the reality is that the vast majority of GMs that get hired are former assistant GMs that no one has heard about. Most can barely identify current NFL GMs. 

The most recent GM that was "well known" before his hire was Dave Gettleman and he chose a RB over a franchise QB...

And he made the right choice. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

18 months should get us through both the 2019 and 2020 seasons.  Woody will show up just in time for the NFLPA work stoppage.  How fitting.

Just bring Liz Hurley back with you, Woody.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

And he made the right choice. 

The fact that he followed it up by taking a lesser QB prospect the following year at #6 overall would suggest that even he's second-guessing himself about that move. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Oh for **** sakes....Emperor Gase?  Is this like your new Conquering Hero???

And lets be real, you had no clue who Joe Douglas was a week ago.

If it annoys you, I will surely keep it going.

John Idzik:  Hired by Korn Ferry.

Mike Maccagnan:  Hired by Charlie Casserly

Joe Douglas:  Super Bowl winning VP of Player Personnel hired because of a relationship with our HC. 

Definitely the same caliber of hire as the previous 2 guys.  Definitely. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

This right here....book mark this thread and others like it, because if things go to sh*t, everyone who is hailing Joe Douglas as the next great NFL GM will be calling for his head and complaining that we shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

About a week ago I posted the Eagles draft results since Joe Douglas came on board and they're not much better than Macc.

Someone then listed all of the offensive line moves Joe Douglas "made" and most were done before he was ever with the team.  Another poster wanted to call Douglas great because he drafted Wentz and hired Pederson...again....moves made BEFORE Douglas was with the Eagles.

Sooooo all those years working in Baltimore under Ozzie Newsome do nothing for you?

The Ravens won a Super Bowl while he was there as well.  Common denominator stuff starts to matter when you consider all the information available. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

That's all true. He has experience with winning franchises surrounded by proven individuals that's mostly all they have to go on and that's good enough for me, anything is an improvement compared to the ridiculous year in and year out BS with the Jets.

And most importantly:  The Johnson's aren't the driving force behind the hire.  Their clueless approach to hiring a GM for nearly 2 decades is well documented.  This, at least, is something new. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nobody on this board even knew who he was until we fired Macaggnan. 

Obviously.  But why can't we be excited about his resume?  And just look at the guy.  A low-t coffee drinker with who takes zero risks, bean counter, or glorified accountant, he is not:

Joe_Douglas.jpg

• Post of the Week 1

Woody's diplomatic post was political patronage. It would end no later than 2020 because the next administration (regardless of who it is) will make decisions about who to seat for the next four years. It is possible that Woody is given a different political position at home or abroad in 2020. You cannot reasonably draw anything from knowing the ambassadorship would expire in 2020 at the latest.

Not feeling one way or another about GM rumors until the team announces an employment agreement exists.

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Said every old school GM/HC that thinks ground and pound still wins football games. 

Especially in 5-7 years when Barkely's wheels are falling off and a potential franchise QB would be just hitting prime.

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

Woody's diplomatic post was political patronage. It would end no later than 2020 because the next administration (regardless of who it is) will make decisions about who to seat for the next four years. It is possible that Woody is given a different political position at home or abroad in 2020. You cannot reasonably draw anything from knowing the ambassadorship would expire in 2020 at the latest.

Not feeling one way or another about GM rumors until the team announces an employment agreement exists.

The 18-month rumor is probably coming from people who've heard from Woody's camp that he'd like to step down from the post in that time frame. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

I am of the belief Woody will not be back until after Jan of 2025.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

He may of may not be a good GM.  Some guys are strong #2s that are not cut out to be the top guy.  Maybe Douglas falls into that category.  But based on his background and qualifications, I will be very happy if he gets his shot with the Jets.

I think if you're able to be a strong # 2, you're able to be a good GM. 

It's not like a Todd Bowles situation, where he was a very good DC but awful HC.  If you are good at bringing in good players onto a roster, the other tasks of being a GM either become not quite as important OR can be delegated.  If he's truly a great personnel guy (and not a fake one like Maccagnan turned out to be), he should make a very good GM. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Lith said:

He may of may not be a good GM.  Some guys are strong #2s that are not cut out to be the top guy.  Maybe Douglas falls into that category.  But based on his background and qualifications, I will be very happy if he gets his shot with the Jets.

I think if you're able to be a # 2, you're able to be a good GM. 

It's not like a Todd Bowles situation, where he was a very good DC but awful HC.  If you are good at bringing in good players onto a roster, the other tasks of being a GM either become not quite as important OR can be delegated.  If he's truly a great personnel guy (and not a fake one like Maccagnan turned out to be), he should make a very good GM. 

• Upvote 1