--Showed up to the Combine fat

--Made excuses for said fat

--Blamed mysterious, unnamed advisor for fat

--Runs a 4.84/40 at Combine

--Jumps a Bill Wennington-esque 31" at the Combine

--His position coach implied he was an unserious douche

--Showed up to his Pro Day--a full month later--even fatter

--Ran a glacial 5.01/40 at Pro Day

--Blames poor 40 on mysterious hamstring injury incurred, allegedly, five weeks earlier

--Despite league-wide bloodlust need for pass rushers, drops to the bottom of the third round

--Goes through two full weeks of camp entirely incapable of rushing the passer, even in drills, despite going against second- and third-team tackles.

--Gets passed over in camp for reps by superstuds Frank Luvu and Harvey Langi 

Other than some YouTube highlights, what's the positive case for Polite? That he was drafted by Mike Maccagnan (who also drafted similarly unathletic pass rushers Dylan Donahue and Lorenzo Mauldin)?

I would just like to say, good "Bill Wennington" reference! 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

--One year of college production

--Played at a reported, undersized 230 pounds

--Blames poor 40 on mysterious hamstring injury incurred, allegedly, five weeks earlier

--Despite league-wide bloodlust need for pass rushers, drops to the bottom of the third round

--Goes through two full weeks of camp entirely incapable of rushing the passer, even in drills, despite going against second- and third-team tackles.

Other than some YouTube highlights, what's the positive case for Polite? That he was drafted by Mike Maccagnan (who also drafted similarly unathletic pass rushers Dylan Donahue and Lorenzo Mauldin)?

^^^has never seen Polite play in his life 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is the longest post I’ve seen you make maybe ever. Well said.

Did you stop halfway through for a meal/nap?

I don’t have to stop eating to type . Hell I don’t even have to stop eating to sleep. I have one of those meal-pap machines that give you constant even flow of food as you sleep. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, rangerous said:

while i certainly agree it's too early to claim he's a bust but he sure has all the earmarks of a typical mac diamond in the rough reach.  we've seen this play out for too long.  true enough that we won't have mac to kick around any longer but his legacy will at least last another season.

It also makes adding a corner before the season starts that much more important. The Jets are not a good pass rushing team to begin with and they have a gaping hole at CB. If the defense can't get to the QB, it'll give the opposing QB that much more time to pick apart our secondary. That could turn out to be a major fail point for the defense this season.

20 minutes ago, slats said:

He wasn't quite that bad. 

Agreed. The Macc hate is kind of ridiculous at this point. We all know his flaws. He ignore the OL, gave out some bad contracts,and his track record for mid round picks was not good. However he also did some good things. Obviously moving up to get Sam was his best move especially without trading a future first,the sheldon Richardson trade which helped get Sam, his first rounders have been good,chris herndon,maye(when healthy), henry anderson,and other than kalil he brought in the big acquisitions this offseason.  Look personally I wanted a new GM and am very happy with Douglas but im not gonna sit here and say Macc did nothing good because its simply not fair/true

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, what can you say? He looks like just another Mac special. A guy who Mac thinks is wonderful and drafts him only to find out he sucks. How many times have we seen that from Mac's picks? This shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone here. Isn't this the very reason why he got fired?

This game is all about talent and your GM must know how to secure it. Hopefully, Douglas might actually know what he's doing.

Do you read?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed. The Macc hate is kind of ridiculous at this point. We all know his flaws. He ignore the OL, gave out some bad contracts,and his track record for mid round picks was not good. However he also did some good things. Obviously moving up to get Sam was his best move especially without trading a future first,the sheldon Richardson trade which helped get Sam, his first rounders have been good,chris herndon,maye(when healthy), henry anderson,and other than kalil he brought in the big acquisitions this offseason.  Look personally I wanted a new GM and am very happy with Douglas but im not gonna sit here and say Macc did nothing good because its simply not fair/true

He inherited $80 mil in cap space and then went 24-40, finishing in last place three out of four years. The talent on the roster is so destitute that it’s going to take two to three years to simply become competitive. Regarding Darnold, you’ll recall Maccagnan’s actual plan was to give Kirk Cousins $124 million in cash to prop up his horrid roster, and Kirk Cousins said “no.” If the Giants took Darnold in the draft, the Jets would be sitting here with Josh Allen and little else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

It also makes adding a corner before the season starts that much more important. The Jets are not a good pass rushing team to begin with and they have a gaping hole at CB. If the defense can't get to the QB, it'll give the opposing QB that much more time to pick apart our secondary. That could turn out to be a major fail point for the defense this season.

yep.  i have a good feeling about douglas knowing more about the team needs than mac did.

• Upvote 2

On 8/2/2019 at 11:25 PM, T0mShane said:

--One year of college production

--Played at a reported, undersized 230 pounds

D2 DTs run 5.0-after an AM BEC after ingesting 14 beers last night. I will wake my son right now after a rough night to prove this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

That's the whole point. The one thing you need is an offense; an effective QB, propped up by a good OL , decent receivers. Maccagnan and Bowles acted like they ahd some top secret plan to win NFL games scoring 9 points. Under the PI rules, obsessing over the unicorn that is shutdown DBs over OL talent is buying stock in a beeper company at the dawn of cell phones. Defenses no matter how talented are going to fail a few times every game. You need to score points. 

He did some good things. A kick ass high end Italian espresso machine, perhaps? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

FWIW, I believe both KRL and another reliable twitter guy both reported Polite picking up a couple of pressures and sacks during TC, so take Costello's article with a grain of salt. 

Looks like the negative Polite stuff is making the rounds from your friendly neighborhood Jets reporters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80488/new-coaches-new-mindset-for-new-york-jets-all-gas-no-brakes

5. Early training-camp awards:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He inherited $80 mil in cap space and then went 24-40, finishing in last place three out of four years. The talent on the roster is so destitute that it’s going to take two to three years to simply become competitive. Regarding Darnold, you’ll recall Maccagnan’s actual plan was to give Kirk Cousins $124 million in cash to prop up his horrid roster, and Kirk Cousins said “no.” If the Giants took Darnold in the draft, the Jets would be sitting here with Josh Allen and little else. 

Do we have a date for the beginning of your next hiatus?  I want to mark my calendar.