Jets re-sign TE Nick Truesdell waive CB Derrick Jones

Image result for ny jets te nick truesdell

The Jets have signed tight end Nick Truesdell and waived cornerback Derrick Jones.

The well-traveled Truesdell, who played collegiately at Cincinnati and also attended Grand Rapids Community College, first signed with the Jets Aug. 4 before he was released two days after. He had a couple of stints in the Indoor Football League (IFL) and multiple stops in the Arena Football League (AFL) and had brief stays with the Colts and the Vikings and most recently played with the Salt Lake Stallions in the Alliance for American Football. The 6’5”, 246-pounder combined to catch 127 balls for 1,527 yards with 38 touchdowns in the AFL.

Jones, a Jets 2017 sixth-round pick, played four games for the Green & White in 2017-18. The Mississippi product played both receiver and cornerback for the Rebels, and totaled 54 tackles and two interceptions in four seasons.

Ok, clearly it's a new administration not tied to many of these players, but I like to think the days of multiple years and no progress from the bottom of the roster player are now over. Those bottom half of the roster spots should be for player with potential that are improving and contribute on specials. Not guys who kind of just hang around like numerous cbs have seemingly.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Is he though. Leggett had a few years and never really did much.

He didn't play his rookie year. was on IR. Last year he really wasn't an option in the passing game, but blocked well. A 24 year old TE, with some upside. Im not saying he was a star in the making, but why cut him so early in camp. A bunch of teams put out a claim for him. He's young, with some upside. Not a big deal. I just thought it was a mistake.

• Upvote 2

Sad when you know the Jets can upgrade the CB depth on cut down day - no reason to hang on to guys who can't play 

Aug. 31    Prior to 4:00 p.m ET, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/NonFootball Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

21 minutes ago, genot said:

He didn't play his rookie year. was on IR. Last year he really wasn't an option in the passing game, but blocked well. A 24 year old TE, with some upside. Im not saying he was a star in the making, but why cut him so early in camp. A bunch of teams put out a claim for him. He's young, with some upside. Not a big deal. I just thought it was a mistake.

By all accounts, he was lazy. That’s enough to cut a player who barely contributed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, genot said:

JD is compensating, because of a big mistake by someone playing temporary GM. Leggett never should have been let go, that early in training camp.

Yeah I agree 100%; That was Gase getting out over his skis.

one question though, who was the guy who cut this Truesdell guy, then changed his mind a few days later?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The TE spot is very enigmatic right now in terms of how Gase and Douglas seem to be approaching it.  Leggett was let go, we've brought in several bottom-of-the-barrel guys who seem like they'd churn around TE4/5....and how many snaps did Wesco get in Preseason Game 1?

To me this looks like Herndon + a bunch of confusion.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The TE spot is very enigmatic right now in terms of how Gase and Douglas seem to be approaching it.  Leggett was let go, we've brought in several bottom-of-the-barrel guys who seem like they'd churn around TE4/5....and how many snaps did Wesco get in Preseason Game 1?

To me this looks like Herndon + a bunch of confusion.

You’re quite the politician, lol. Enigmatic isn’t the word I’d use for the TE position on this team. At least until until week 5, or if somebody proves to me Trevor Wesco actually exists.

30 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You’re quite the politician, lol. Enigmatic isn’t the word I’d use for the TE position on this team. At least until until week 5, or if somebody proves to me Trevor Wesco actually exists.

Well maybe it's clear to you and everyone else but not to me. lol  I still see it as a bit of a mystery after Herndon....and that revolving door seems to keep spinning.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Wesco is being held back as he is the true secret weapon of the Gase offense. Teams will not know what hit them or how to respond when this bruising animal with a hard head and soft hands keeps leveling the DE, then running over the MLB after making the high side grab at the marker. 

Wesco is everything! You heard it here first.

Buffalo game- 6 catches and a TD from Wesco.  Mark it down! ;-) 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, genot said:

JD is compensating, because of a big mistake by someone playing temporary GM. Leggett never should have been let go, that early in training camp.

Gase got rid of the 3 players that were not giving effort.... Who cares who let him go... He sucks