Dontrelle Inman, Justin Hunter... Are we getting Clowney?

Mike Lombardi is reporting Clowney will be moved asap and the Texans are looking for a WR. 

We reportedly made a "strong offer" to inman before he went to SD, which didn't make much sense in a vacuum, given that he'd be our no 4 WR at best and we like our depth with Burnett. 

We're working out Hunter, which again seems odd given the state of our roster

On the other hand, if we're including Robby in a deal for Clowney, the moves we're looking at at wr make more sense. 

Not sure I'd love that move, or if I'm getting this completely wrong, but it's a possibility

• WTF? 1

I just don't see it happening. The engine of this team is going to be offense and to give up your #1 receiver in Anderson or #2 in Enunwa for the ability to make Clowney the highest paid Edge Rusher doesn't seem worthwhile for a guy tied for 24th in sacks playing opposite of JJ Watt. If you put him at 22.5 a year would have 52.1 million a year tied up in 3 players who aren't QBs or wide receivers. That would be roughly 27% of the expected cap. 

This isn't going to be a defensive team. It's going to be Darnold's team so trading either WR seems like a mistake for a middle of the pack edge rusher who's going to be paid at the top of the market. 

If you're going that route, I think Yannick Ngakoue would make more sense. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Mike Lombardi is reporting Clowney will be moved asap and the Texans are looking for a WR. 

We reportedly made a "strong offer" to inman before he went to SD, which didn't make much sense in a vacuum, given that he'd be our no 4 WR at best and we like our depth with Burnett. 

We're working out Hunter, which again seems odd given the state of our roster

On the other hand, if we're including Robby in a deal for Clowney, the moves we're looking at at wr make more sense. 

Not sure I'd love that move, or if I'm getting this completely wrong, but it's a possibility

Clowney is going to demand money he's simply not worth and I hope we are not the team to give it to him.

Too bad Copeland got suspended because I think he was on the verge of a breakout year and jenkins may be as well. While they are not elite they can be effective pressuring the QB as will the interior of our front 7 and Jamal blitzing from time to time making it hard for offenses to stop our pass rush if Greg Williams gets creative enough we can manufacture Pressure with this defense just like Rex did with smart play calling

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I just don't see it happening. The engine of this team is going to be offense and to give up your #1 receiver in Anderson or #2 in Enunwa for the ability to make Clowney the highest paid Edge Rusher doesn't seem worthwhile for a guy tied for 24th in sacks playing opposite of JJ Watt. If you put him at 22.5 a year would have 52.1 million a year tied up in 3 players who aren't QBs or wide receivers. That would be roughly 27% of the expected cap. 

This isn't going to be a defensive team. It's going to be Darnold's team so trading either WR seems like a mistake for a middle of the pack edge rusher who's going to be paid at the top of the market. 

If you're going to be a high scoring offensive team (wouldn't that be nice?), you need to have a defense that can stop the pass - because that's what you're going to be facing. That means pass-rushers and CBs, of which the Jets have neither. 

Not that I'm necessarily endorsing such a trade but, if I were to, I'd hope it'd be Enunwa on the block. 

I’m gonna pass on Clowney. Productive player when he’s on the field but is not on the field enough to make an impact. 

Pass rushers are very important but not more important than offensive lineman. Build the best offensive line in the league! 

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

good observation about clowney.  he would've needed to be tearing it up before considering him for elite edge rusher pay.  maybe he does other thing that make him compelling at the position but pass rushing isn't one of those.

9 hours ago, mrcoops said:

If we do trade a WR, I guarantee it will be Enunwa...because I just bought his jersey.

This made me lol but only because I bought a Robby jersey last week and have been thinking the same thing about him ??? 

Lots of interesting comments. 1) Clowney is outstanding, those who say "pass on Clowney" or "he's not that good" do not watch the Texans or know anything about them. Would love him on the Jets. 2) Texans are not looking for WRs. They have Hopkins, Coutee, and Fuller. As well as a few other young guys they are high on. They need RBs and OL. Not WRs. Trading Robbie or Q to the Texans is not happenning.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Lots of interesting comments. 1) Clowney is outstanding, those who say "pass on Clowney" or "he's not that good" do not watch the Texans or know anything about them. Would love him on the Jets. 2) Texans are not looking for WRs. They have Hopkins, Coutee, and Fuller. As well as a few other young guys they are high on. They need RBs and OL. Not WRs. Trading Robbie or Q to the Texans is not happenning.

How about shell and or Montgomery in a trade package for Clowney? Edoga will fill in nicely for shell and we have bell so won’t be to big of a loss.

15 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Clowney is better than his stats which are good people act like he got 0 sacks last year

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Leo and a first for Clowney otherwise enjoy a sh-tty pass defense

including a 1st rounder with Leo for Clowney would be a real gamble by Douglas. Clowney has a history of injuries and has had an up and down career so far (as many pass rusher do). Leo has never missed a game and has been rock steady as a player (even if never spectacular). And on top of that you are giving up a 1st rounder- a potential game changing talent at WR, Premiere Edge rusher, lock down CB or elite LT? Think about that. The Jets may just sneak into the playoffs this year but they could also very well end up going .500. It's highly unlikely they get a top 5 pick but its just as unlikely they will be picking in the 20s. No way Douglas is trading a first rounder.