Kicker solved

On 9/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, Scott Dierking said:

And, who knew it snowed in Minny in the summer? I guess you did/Double duh.

Are you serious?

Arguing it? You brought up snow, people tell you they practice indoors and you come back with it doesnt snow in the summer?   Just keep arguing instead of having the class to say you were wrong and move on?  No, better yet you double down with the DUHs when obviously youre the slow one here.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you serious?

Arguing it? You brought up snow, people tell you they practice indoors and you come back with it doesnt snow in the summer?  WTF, no shlt sparky.  Just keep arguing instead of having the class to say you were wrong and move on?  No, better yet you double down with the DUHs when obviously youre the slow one here.  

Have you ever noticed that about half the threads on this site have you getting in a pissing contest with someone?  Just relax, it’s only a an opinion board, you don’t have to always win.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Joejet said:

Have you ever noticed that about half the threads on this site have you getting in a pissing contest with someone?  Just relax, it’s only a an opinion board, you don’t have to always win.

Hey, thanks for the heads up.  Half the threads you say.  

Thats what you took from him telling us the snow im Minny is an issue, then when you tell him they play indoors he says practice, then you show him their indoor practice facility he comes back for more?  With DUH and DOUBLE DUH thrown in.

Do me a favor, if you have no idea what youre talking about, mind your own business.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

I guess the current FO didn’t expect Catanzaro to retire and maybe thought he would be adequate. But it looks like they were fairly unprepared at that position. I saw Douglas on TV last Thursday and he was openly rooting for Bertolet to be making his kicks. So now we have an inexperienced kicker who was even more inaccurate than the guy we just cut. A team like ours can lose games because of this. And regular season is going to be a try out for this guy. If he misses kicks they’ll replace him maybe even with Taylor.  

5 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

RoadFan? wanted this guy..or said watch this guy a couple of weeks ago...I believe.

Actually, I said watch this guy as far back as August of 2018.

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/139369-kaare-vedvik-might-solve-the-kicking-problem/

The Jets hit gold with Jason Myers after my post.  I am less certain what Vedvik is after his shaky stint in Minnesota.  But he is a definitely a prospect, that's for sure. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Hey, thanks for the heads up.  Half the threads you say.  

Thats what you took from him telling us the snow im Minny is an issue, then when you tell him they play indoors he says practice, then you show him their indoor practice facility he comes back for more?  With DUH and DOUBLE DUH thrown in.

Do me a favor, if you have no idea what youre talking about, mind your own business.

It was in my first post, Sparky. It said Summer. You chose not to read it.

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

For all the supposed collective genius of GM'ing that is supposedly on this site, so many seem to dwell on "kickers" and "Centers" as positions of value and importance.

This makes me seriously question that collective genius

Kicker is an extremely important position.  NFL franchises recognize it too.  The vast majority of game spreads are 7 points or less.  Extra points, FGs, and field position play a massive role in close games.

The great kickers in the league rarely change teams because their franchises recognize their value, and they reward them for it.  

Just ask fan bases of teams like the Bucs that have lost several games over the past few years because they can't find a kicker how important they are.  Jets fans have been pretty spoiled for years.

The highest paid position in the NFL per snap?  Kicker.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Kicker is an extremely important position.  NFL franchises recognize it too.  The vast majority of game spreads are 7 points or less.  Extra points, FGs, and field position play a massive role in close games.

The great kickers in the league rarely change teams because their franchises recognize their value, and they reward them for it.  

The highest paid position in the NFL per snap?  Kicker.

There are around 5 great kickers in the NFL that are worth signing to long term contracts.

There are around 65 people that can kick and make it in the NFL. They are basically interchangeable for the most part/ 

Great special team coaches is the real secret to a good kicker, by and large. That, and luck and getting the right guy in the right year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

There are around 5 great kickers in the NFL that are worth signing to long term contracts.

There are around 65 people that can kick and make it in the NFL. They are basically interchangeable for the most part/ 

Great special team coaches is the real secret to a good kicker, by and large. That, and luck and getting the right guy in the right year.

Agree with your 1st paragraph.

I really have to think about the 2nd paragraph.  I dont think there are 65 NFL kickers out there. That is an exaggeration,  but I see your point and am considering the idea that about 30 are interchangeable.   Nevertheless, even those 30 can still be divided into tiers IMO.  

As for a special teams coach.  No, I dont think so.  Placekickers and punters do most of the work on their own.  The STs coach is for the other 10 guys on each unit.

• Upvote 3

Just now, RoadFan said:

Agree with your 1st paragraph.

I really have to think about the 2nd paragraph.  I dont think there are 65 NFL kickers out there. That is an exaggeration,  but I see your point and am considering the idea that about 30 are interchangeable.   Nevertheless, even those 30 can still be divided into tiers IMO.  

As for a special teams coach.  No, I dont think so.  Placekickers and punters do most of the work on their own.  The STs coach is for the other 10 guys on each unit.

We will respectfully agree and disagree simultaneously.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, static14 said:

Well worth taking a chance on him. 

I agree, I just don’t like the idea of taking chances one week before the start of the season on a position that you know will absolutely see the field at least five or six times for kickoffs, extra points and field goal attempts. We are way late on addressing the situation. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've said it before and i'll say it again 

Kickers are good until they aren't.

Conversely, Kickers are not good until they are.

Predicting when those changes happen is a fool's errand.

Excellent point.  I'm excited for the potential this kid has, even though he's been cut by a team who burned a 5th on him.  You can't teach leg strength.  And in a windy stadium like ours, that has a lot of value.  

If he sucks, grab someone else.  There will always be someone available.