Call Me Crazy, But Sam Darnold Reminds Me of...

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You're far from crazy.

Rodgers on his best days might have a somewhat stronger arm than Darnold, because it was a cannon, I don't think he ever got recognition for that, and Darnold's arm is also very strong when he needs it to be, although some people don't realize that either.  They see him throwing mostly touch passes and think his arm is weak.  How weak was it today on that rope he threw rather than run?  I actually think Darnold is a better overall athlete.

Let Douglas put more pieces around the now 22 year old.

Get used to seeing Jet blow outs....on the side of the good guys.

Funny that you mention his arm. I am on the sidelines of all Jets home games. Anyhow, Sam threw a ball away after getting flushed from the pocket, and it hit Jamal right in the hip flexor. From the look on Jamal's face, that throw was pretty darn hard, and had plenty of arm strength behind it. Haha! 

Sam is one heck of a special talent, IMHO.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, greeniemeanie said:

Funny that you mention his arm. I am on the sidelines of all Jets home games. Anyhow, Sam threw a ball away after getting flushed from the pocket, and it hit Jamal right in the hip flexor. From the look on Jamal's face, that throw was pretty darn hard, and had plenty of arm strength behind it. Haha! 

Sam is one heck of a special talent, IMHO.

Agreed as to “one heck of a special talent”.

What I try to tell people as that the Kid throws passes in 101 different ways, and at many...MANY...varying speeds, with his body perfectly aligned for a throw, which is usually only 1% of the time in when he can sit in the pocket and plant, step and fire, because up until now in his short career he is usually running for his life, or contorted in a multitude of ways (I recently read that his football playing days started on the BEACH, now step back for a minute and think what that means.  Yeah if you say “Not Easy” you’d be correct.  Playing on level ground must seem like such a piece of cake.

The throw where he had to put it in a thimble sized window rather than running yesterday... it was ripped, as was an Out Route he threw vs Denver last year.  I don’t think Jeff George, on his best day, could have thrown a ball harder.  But I was told that throw was an “outlier”.  That’s like saying when Nolan Ryan was the only pitcher throwing 100 mph, that on a day he decides to throw mostly curveballs that that is evidence that his arm “really isn’t that strong”.

No, Darnold, delivers every pass with the intention of hitting his receiver IN STRIDE.  Does he accomplish that every time?  Of course not.  But that appears to be his goal, and he’ll use those “101 different ways” that he has in his ability, that virtually all QBs DO NOT, to try and get that done.

I’ll ask again.  How many QBs could have ripped that throw, on the run, into that close to non-existent window, that Darnold did yesterday?  Mahomes...sure....who else?

• Sympathy 3

6 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Yep. A dash of tony romo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Actually, like a pro scout was quoted last year...”Tony Romo outside the pocket (much more than a dash), and Carson Palmer in it”...that is one dangerous QB.

Too be as dangerous as that and only be able to sit in the pocket because you’re not close to the athlete that Darnold is, you’d need to have an OL in front of you that is allowed to Hold on every play, but also, and I can’t ding him for this because he is probably the best of all time, learn to read Defenses so well that you can ALWAYS get your pass off in Under 2 seconds so you can Negate any Pass Rush that gets past the Holds....ala Tom Brady.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Aaron Rogers!

Throwing darts on the run...

Lobbing it over defenders with great touch...

Throwing while moving to the left...

Throwing while moving to the right...

Sliding to evade pressure...

Throwing while jumping or off a hop...

All with great accuracy...

Qb sneaking for TD's...

Superiorly gifted athletes...

And the best part, Darnold is 12 years younger than Rogers...

I said this a few back and was trashed. 

His mobility and style of play reminds me of Rodgers.  Wasn't saying his play was Rodgers, yet, just the way he plays.  I still say it. 

Rodger under extreme duress with the OL getting destroyed last night really drives it home.  Look how lost and bad the Zreal Rodgers looked

• Upvote 1

Sam is a good young quarterback who has excellent potential.  As with all young QBs he will have some clunker games and be confused with certain defenses.  Hopefully as he gets more experience those clunker games will be few and far between.  As we saw last night with Rodgers it can happen to the best of them.  It’s too early to determine just how good Sam will be but it appears he has the skill set to be very good to great.

• Upvote 2

Sam Darnold reminds me of - of that we did'nt draft Josh Rosen. Thank God for that one! Not that Rosen is a bad person but Darnold was the best choice for the Jets that draft - better for the Jets than Mayfield or Jackson would of been. 

Right. No matter what happens moving forward , sam’s personality is perfect to give him the opportunity to make it here. Mayfield’s attitude would have been a problem
During the losing streak and he might have said some stuff toward the fans like Roberts did. The big difference is the media would have pounced on that and it would have been a complete $hit show.

Lamar Jackson is succeeding because the ravens literally changed everything around him and then spent the draft and offseason getting him weapons and protection. They committed 100% to his success even trading their super bowl winning QB to get there.
The jets have never done anything remotely like that for a player.
Jackson would have been running on almost every play with our OL and would already be injured most likely.

Sam is exactly what we need. I just wish people would stop giving up on him
So quickly if he has a bad game or two.
We were literally discussing his being a bust already. It would be great if the entire fan base just committed to Sam no matter what and support him for the next 3 years through thick and thin. For better or for worse.

Sam is our QB. The first real QB that we’ve had since Pennington.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

One really good game does not a FQB make. So, please don't start doing somersaults over yesterday's  performance. Let's wait to see whether he can be good consistently.

Yeah it's only been most of this year and the last 4 games a year ago.

Thanks formthe heads up

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. No matter what happens moving forward , sam’s personality is perfect to give him the opportunity to make it here. Mayfield’s attitude would have been a problem
During the losing streak and he might have said some stuff toward the fans like Roberts did. The big difference is the media would have pounced on that and it would have been a complete $hit show.

Lamar Jackson is succeeding because the ravens literally changed everything around him and then spent the draft and offseason getting him weapons and protection. They committed 100% to his success even trading their super bowl winning QB to get there.
The jets have never done anything remotely like that for a player.
Jackson would have been running on almost every play with our OL and would already be injured most likely.

Sam is exactly what we need. I just wish people would stop giving up on him
So quickly if he has a bad game or two.
We were literally discussing his being a bust already. It would be great if the entire fan base just committed to Sam no matter what and support him for the next 3 years through thick and thin. For better or for worse.

Sam is our QB. The first real QB that we’ve had since Pennington.

Perfectly said, can this be a video in the making? Lol

Youre dead on though.  Baltimore had to surround LJ with new talent that would fit his play.  He's not your reg. QB, he needed a whole different O and commitment to that different O.  

Aaron Rogers!

Throwing darts on the run...

Lobbing it over defenders with great touch...

Throwing while moving to the left...

Throwing while moving to the right...

Sliding to evade pressure...

Throwing while jumping or off a hop...

All with great accuracy...

Qb sneaking for TD's...

Superiorly gifted athletes...

And the best part, Darnold is 12 years younger than Rogers...

Sort of yeah, but I see Sam as more of a California version of Brett Favre.  One that will hopefully throw less interceptions and be more discrete with his cell phone images :-)

Aaron Rogers!

Well, if this forum is to be taken seriously, he is either an amazing generational-talent elite QB today, or......wait for it........a total bust.

It seems like no one can see anything in between for Sam.  It's #1 or #32, nothing in between.

Depending on the week, it's either "he's the best ever, totally a top 5 QB right now" or "he's a bust, we need to look QB in the draft, we have to move on".

Personally, I am seriously worn out on both ends of the hyperbole-comparison spectrum.  But to each their own.

As I see it, Sam continues to show flashes of elite talent potential mixed in with plenty of plays of just plain "middle of pack, good enough" talent.  The last few weeks, against two horrifically bad teams and one contender, he's looked very good.  Much of that comes from an O-line finally blocking for a change now that literally every guy has been replaced.  Sam is probably feeling better too now, now that he's a good amount of time past his (sorry, but still laughable) Mono sickness. 

He's not a bust, that much is clear, and he has earned more time.  

He's also not Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady reborn.  Not even close.  

But he continues to provide reason for optimism and investment in him, which is all we can ask.  His 2020 campaign needs to be missed-time free and look (mostly) like that Raiders game, except for 16 full weeks.  That would earn him some "top 5 QB" comparisons legitimately.

IMO, as always.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, if this forum is to be taken seriously, he is either an amazing generational-talent elite QB today, or......wait for it........a total bust.

It seems like no one can see anything in between for Sam.  It's #1 or #32, nothing in between.

Depending on the week, it's either "he's the best ever, totally a top 5 QB right now" or "he's a bust, we need to look QB in the draft, we have to move on".

Personally, I am seriously worn out on both ends of the hyperbole-comparison spectrum.  But to each their own.

As I see it, Sam continues to show flashes of elite talent potential mixed in with plenty of plays of just plain "middle of pack, good enough" talent.  The last few weeks, against two horrifically bad teams and one contender, he's looked very good.  Much of that comes from an O-line finally blocking for a change now that literally every guy has been replaced.  Sam is probably feeling better too now, now that he's a good amount of time past his (sorry, but still laughable) Mono sickness. 

He's not a bust, that much is clear, and he has earned more time.  

He's also not Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady reborn.  Not even close.  

But he continues to provide reason for optimism and investment in him, which is all we can ask.  His 2020 campaign needs to be missed-time free and look (mostly) like that Raiders game, except for 16 full weeks.  That would earn him some "top 5 QB" comparisons legitimately.

IMO, as always.

Be clear.  Not saying he's as good as or is Rodgers.  Or any other all time QB like Brady. Saying his style, the way he looks reminds me of Rodgers.  He's playing better than say Wentz who everyone cried over Macc not being able to move up to get him.  He's playing better than a lot of QBs fans wanted. 

Just one thing.  It's not just he's played well against a couple of "horrific teams".  Outside of the Jags and Pats, two strong defensive teams and our OL looking lost, he's played well.  Includes pretty good teams like the Cowboys and Raiders.  He played well enough to beat the Bills while playing with mono.   He played really well the last 5 games after his return last season, was the leading QB over the last 4.  So 5 ending last season and all but 2 this year, 6 of 8?  Means he's been pretty good over 11 of his last 13 games.  

Theres plenty of real reasons for fans to get excited about with Sam. 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres plenty of real reasons for fans to get excited about with Sam. 

I agree.

He played well enough to beat the Bills while playing with mono.   

No, he really didn't.  But this far removed, it's just not worth arguing over tbqh.  

Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play the game.  I'm not sure that Sam is Aaron level but I see the comparison and have used it before.  They do some similar stuff, have a similar build, Cali boys, etc.  I see the Romo comparisons as well.  Dont really see the Big Ben comparison.

He's like the right cross between Romo/Rodgers but I rather just call him Sam.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree.

No, he really didn't.  But this far removed, it's just not worth arguing over tbqh.  

He should have had 20 points if not for a missed extra point and a chip FG.  He was playing a top 3 D and outperformed most QBs like Brady. Without a running game or an OL. 

He wasn’t the reason we lost and should have been the reason we won.  Sometimes the performance has to be taken in context of the opponent. 

Not an argument though, you’re right, not worth arguing, so not, just opinions 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play the game.  I'm not sure that Sam is Aaron level but I see the comparison and have used it before.  They do some similar stuff, have a similar build, Cali boys, etc.  I see the Romo comparisons as well.  Dont really see the Big Ben comparison.

He's like the right cross between Romo/Rodgers but I rather just call him Sam.

Agreed word for word. Marino was just slightly before my time, and I'm not calling Aaron the greatest because he's seriously lacking in the big game wins department, but in terms of pure QBing, Aaron is the best I've ever seen as well.

Although there's a long way to go and it's unlikely Sam would ever get to Aaron's level, I can see the comparison. Both have similar unique talents and both can process information outside of the pocket that simply cannot be coached. They are essentially sandlot QBs first with superior abilities when plays break down. The difference is that Aaron has always been risk-averse in his decision-making and was able to develop his game from the pocket to make plays on schedule. He won the MVP in 2011 because of his efficiency from the pocket, not because of out-sized production.

Sam hasn't done that just yet, and that's fine...he's only 22 and is on his second OC/HC in as many years. He still needs to develop his game from the pocket. However, from what we've seen so far, he's got an appetite for risk that Aaron simply doesn't, and that will always alter his efficiency and affect his ability to take the easy play on schedule. The hope is that he can develop enough to where the production is so big that it minimizes the negative impact of his inevitable gambles.

So I hated the play call when we were pinned at our 3 yd line. Gase called a play action where Sam had to turn his back on the line of scrimmage in his own endzone. He barely got the pass off & it was an amazing throw for a 1st down.

Threw the ball in the dirt for the 1st time in his NFL career.

Threw a couple away when he needed to and didn't wait til the last minute

Maybe he should have kept running but threw a beauty to #11

hit a bunch of  different receiver's

Yes there's a lot to like about Sam. I loved the draft pick and still did when he was seeing ghosts.

I really think Joe Douglas is our GM for the future and will do a great job putting the pcs together around our franchise QB

Gase?????????? The jury is still out on him for me. hopeful but doubtful.......I still don't have the confidence in his abilities (especially without Williams)

Unfortunately it seems like the kid has had a different OC almost every year since college to the pros. Many forget this. Having an awful OL and just barely playing in two years worth of pro ball are legitimate excuses for his inconsistent play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

i see way more romo than rodgers.  

Rodgers has made some throws where i like literally cannot fathom the arm talent it takes to put the ball in the spot he threw it in, and I've worked with some of the best QB coaches in the state. 

I think darnolds upside is that of rodgers possibly, but he too consistently is off the mark on his deeper throws to be rodgers right now.  Tony is the better comparison, even the throwing motion is similar sometimes