La Canfora on possible Pats cheating penalty

A part of me doesnt care.  The Pats are reaching the end of their dynasty.  If the league wanted to do something it should have done it years ago.  Caserio and others will be leaving that place like rats deserting a sinking this offseason.  The punishment should have come sooner when their employees saw that cheating wasn't worth it.  But nope.  Almost nothing happened.  And the  NFL machine did nothing but continue to shine the ass of the biggest scumbag at the league table.  Can't wait for the legacy books to come out with a small section addressing the rumor of cheating.  They will rationalize everything the Pats ever did.  Just anoth blip in how history is remember.  And another future BB will do the same thing.  And that will be the status quo.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Ding ding ding. 

I know a really rich guy. He gets a speeding ticket every month. Doesn’t care. Calls it a “fast tax.”

Should do what Switzerland does. The size of the fine is based on net worth. One Russian oligarch in a Ferrari got something like a $250,000 speeding ticket.

My idea is take away cap space for a year or two. That hurts much more than a fine. Then when Pats try to sneak around that with shadiness, hit them for that too. They need cascading punishments. Punishing a pattern with small sanctions based on each individual cheat that is caught does nothing. The Pats have correctly realized the total value of their undetected cheats outweighs the cost of periodic punishments. It is a conspiracy at this point and should be punished as such. 

And just to make sure they stay in compliance with the 89% spending floor, they would also need to be fined a proportional amount of shared revenue. 

Frankly I’d say the thing to do is suspend the coaches. No one does this without the coaches’ knowledge and requests, since they’re obviously using them. Let them hire all new coaches starting right now. Any player in contact with a suspended coach will also be suspended for the rest of the season (including the postseason) and half of next year, due to the repeat nature of the infraction again tainting the integrity (lol) of the league. 

Or they could do what they have in mind. Dock them a 3rd round pick and fine Kraft $250K that he won’t even know is gone (particularly since it’d only feel like half that to him after he deducts it from his taxes). 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Jetpain said:

There is no penalty Goodell can give that can take away all the Pats super bowl trophies, the extra win or 2 each year from cheating that gave them home field advantage and the path to the super bowl.   

And I am not convinced  that the Pats haven't cheated the salary cap for years with Brady's $.50 cents on the dollar deal compared to all the other to QB's in the league. I would bet anything that money is funneled from some Kraft company to some Brady, or Giselle company , or Brady family member interest.

I actually made a video on this exact topic

• Upvote 4

Talk about a PR blitz to try and shape public opinion:

So, the Patriots have "suspended" the videographer:

The producer/videographer, Dave Mondillo, is a longtime full-time employee of Kraft Sports and Entertainment. He was suspended last week.

Some of the video footage aired on Fox Sports’ pregame show less than a half hour before the Patriots kicked off in Cincinnati for a matchup between 10-3 New England and the 1-12 Bengals. The NFL prohibits teams from filming opponents’ sidelines during games. The Patriots admitted their film crew violated NFL rules but claimed the crew was unaware of the rule.

Then, the videographer puts out a public statement:

On December 8th, I was doing what I have done for what I have for more than 18 years — working to produce high-quality content that tells the unique, behind-the-scenes stories of people, players, and the organization. It never occurred to me that my actions and the actions of my crew would be misconstrued.

Our department was charged with completing four “Do Your Job” segments before the end of the year. One of the segments was to follow a pro scout throughout his week to show the audience what his job entails.

Before the shoot began, I obtained permission and received credentials and a parking pass for Sunday’s game.

With permission in hand, we started taping on December 6th — following the scout’s travel through the weekend to Cleveland and obtained footage of him working in his hotel room and interviewed him about his job. The final element needed to complete the story was to shoot from the press box at Progressive Field to show the audience what his responsibilities are on game day.

We went directly to the press box and set up our camera to get the footage we needed. We interviewed and shot the Patriots scout sitting in a chair watching the action and panned back and forth from him to what he was seeing on the sidelines. We also took footage of the field as the intent was to show what he was looking at when he looked through his binoculars watching the game.

At that point, I went to the restroom and when I came back, my cameraman was told to stop shooting by someone from the NFL and he was joined by two others from the Bengals organization and an additional NFL security person. We stopped shooting immediately when asked to do so and cooperated fully. We had a detailed exchange about who we were and why we were there and what they wanted us to do. I gave the Sony SXS card to NFL security and we complied with their request, packed up, and went home. I had no intention to provide footage to football operations, I did not provide any footage, and I was never asked to do so.

• Haha 1

Not sure if even suspensions and draft picks are going to curb this anymore. Consider this, a player cheap shots the QB and knocks him out of the game, and then does the same thing to backup (sound familiar) - of course he gets fines and 15 yard penalties, but the player's team is almost guaranteed a win, so it pays off.

Pats cheat and get caught several times, the loose picks, they get fined, players get suspended, and they win the super bowl 4 times in a decade - do you think they care? How many teams will would gladly trade picks, dollars, and suspensions, for a SB or 2?

• Upvote 1

F this $h*t ... they’ve been cheating through this whole BB/TB12 regime & places on a pedestal by the *$$hole roger goodell who burned the evidence of their cheating, ever since being complicate in their b*ll$h*t

They should have all their rings removed and become the face of fraud and pathetic cheating for all of sports

Instead what will happen ... goodell has enough egg on his face and finally some of the other owners barely have a spine ... but enough to force the cheating *$&holes to lose a draft pick or two ... and Kraft won’t have enough $ for a monthto pay for 2 bj’s a week ... instead he’ll only get 1 a week

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't know, they've been punished every time there's been actual, provable violations.  

Theres's probably little chance that they can trace this back to Belichick but they'll probably take away picks and theyll be fines.  Should be harder than Spygate I given they're repeat offenders.

Crossing my fingers.

Their violation of the salary cap by paying Brady under the table for years is absolutely provable.  All it would take is a bit of financial discovery as to what they are paying TB12 and what they are not charging it in rent.  The Boston Globe did an expose on it.  Nobody at the league office seemed to care.  I think Goodell just thinks that he already embarrassed his pal enough with Deflategate and doesn't want to take the PR hit.

• Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree, should have added that.  

My only point is that without a direct link to Belichick you can't see Belichick being suspended like we'd all give a nut to see happen.  And because it doesn't doesn't mean they are being shown favoritism 

Belichick avoided a suspension last time so I'm not sure he's going to get a free pass on this one.  Especially after Payton got suspended an entire year even without him knowing about what Gregg Williams was doing with bountygate. The precedent for suspension without actually being aware of what was going on was set then.

• Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Easy disqualify them from playoffs and let Buffalo represent AFC east. 

Agreed.  They don’t even care about the draft picks either.  Make them ineligible for the post-season this year.  Bills get the AFCE and two wild card teams come from wherever they come from.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The producer/videographer, Dave Mondillo, is a longtime full-time employee of Kraft Sports and Entertainment. He was suspended last week.

Some of the video footage aired on Fox Sports’ pregame show less than a half hour before the Patriots kicked off in Cincinnati for a matchup between 10-3 New England and the 1-12 Bengals. The NFL prohibits teams from filming opponents’ sidelines during games. The Patriots admitted their film crew violated NFL rules but claimed the crew was unaware of the rule.

On December 8th, I was doing what I have done for what I have for more than 18 years — working to produce high-quality content that tells the unique, behind-the-scenes stories of people, players, and the organization. It never occurred to me that my actions and the actions of my crew would be misconstrued.

Our department was charged with completing four “Do Your Job” segments before the end of the year. One of the segments was to follow a pro scout throughout his week to show the audience what his job entails.

Before the shoot began, I obtained permission and received credentials and a parking pass for Sunday’s game.

With permission in hand, we started taping on December 6th — following the scout’s travel through the weekend to Cleveland and obtained footage of him working in his hotel room and interviewed him about his job. The final element needed to complete the story was to shoot from the press box at Progressive Field to show the audience what his responsibilities are on game day.

We went directly to the press box and set up our camera to get the footage we needed. We interviewed and shot the Patriots scout sitting in a chair watching the action and panned back and forth from him to what he was seeing on the sidelines. We also took footage of the field as the intent was to show what he was looking at when he looked through his binoculars watching the game.

At that point, I went to the restroom and when I came back, my cameraman was told to stop shooting by someone from the NFL and he was joined by two others from the Bengals organization and an additional NFL security person. We stopped shooting immediately when asked to do so and cooperated fully. We had a detailed exchange about who we were and why we were there and what they wanted us to do. I gave the Sony SXS card to NFL security and we complied with their request, packed up, and went home. I had no intention to provide footage to football operations, I did not provide any footage, and I was never asked to do so.

Doubly despicable that they are asking this low-level guy who was only taking orders to take the fall for what has obviously been a team practice for years.  And I am pissed off that Shefter is doing PR for these guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Predictions: 

the penalty will be like a 500,000 dollar fine 

or could even be a million

no loss of draft pick 

everyone will say that's nothing whatever a slap on the wrist and maybe it's true 

but the owners won't miss an opportunity to rake another of their own over the coals 

they will split up the fine happily, Woody will go shopping at Harrods or whatever 

when people talk about the illuminati it's like, have you ever seen a billionaire? or talked to one?

Put 2 of them in a room they are fighting over the ambient air temperature. Put all of em around a conference room table in the Alps and it turns into the hunger games

there's no way a group of human male billionaires can share power and plan for succession etc. It would be a murder-fest of Shakespearean proportions.

But I digress... 

When you create the ultimate culture of cheating this is what you get.  I would not doubt that Belli did not know about this incident but he created the culture and it thrived for years.

This is equal to all of these CEOS that create a culture in a company and then plead ignorance once the shi* hits the fan.

30 years from now the New england patriots will be brought up in conversation and the first thing said will be they were cheaters, not that they won so many super bowls

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Their violation of the salary cap by paying Brady under the table for years is absolutely provable.  All it would take is a bit of financial discovery as to what they are paying TB12 and what they are not charging it in rent.  The Boston Globe did an expose on it.  Nobody at the league office seemed to care.  I think Goodell just thinks that he already embarrassed his pal enough with Deflategate and doesn't want to take the PR hit.

Look I hate them as much as anyone, more than any team over the years.   But there is no proof Brady is being paid anything substantial under the table.  

Talk about a PR blitz to try and shape public opinion: So, the Patriots have "suspended" the videographer:

This Letter should be punishable on its own. It’s so patronizing and anyone but a gullible fool or a league shill can possibly believe this.

Especially because it is already documented that this is EXACTLY what they told people to say if they get caught ...

Only true deterrent is to permanently excile Belichick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Belichick avoided a suspension last time so I'm not sure he's going to get a free pass on this one.  Especially after Payton got suspended an entire year even without him knowing about what Gregg Williams was doing with bountygate. The precedent for suspension without actually being aware of what was going on was set then.

Difference is their was proof that players were part of bountygate, as were coaches and the coach directly under Payton.  Think the NFL figured Payton was a part of it or should have known, had to know.  

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, the Patriots have "suspended" the videographer:.

At that point, I went to the restroom and when I came back, my cameraman was told to stop shooting...

https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/a45491db-cb68-4861-a5ae-445210b430a5#r1cStXBrCB.copy

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Dave Mondillo going rogue.  That guy always was a loose cannon.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Look I hate them as much as anyone, more than any team over the years.   But there is no proof Brady is being paid anything substantial under the table.  

They don't charge TB12 rent at Foxboro.  That has been reported.  It also has been reported that the team pays TB12 (which Brady owns) millions per year.  Do I have copies of the receipts?  No.  But the Globe came out with a big story and my recollection is that rather than denying any of it, they simply ignored it.  I think it would be naive to think it's not going on.  And the league could get to the bottom of it in days if they were so inclined.