Martz Or Callahan

KRL

Either Mike Martz or Bill Callahan would be terrific additions to the offensive staff.

Martz is already out there and Callahan just got released:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28403414/redskins-officially-name-ron-rivera-coach-make-jack-del-rio-dc

Bill Callahan went 3-8 the rest of the way.

Callahan won't return to the Redskins under Rivera, a source told ESPN's John Keim. Callahan was Washington's offensive line coach in 2015 and 2016 and was assistant head coach/offensive line coach from 2017 to 2019.

It would also be proof that Gase is serious about improving

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Either Mike Martz or Bill Callahan would be terrific additions to the offensive staff.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28403414/redskins-officially-name-ron-rivera-coach-make-jack-del-rio-dc

Callahan won't return to the Redskins under Rivera, a source told ESPN's John Keim. Callahan was Washington's offensive line coach in 2015 and 2016 and was assistant head coach/offensive line coach from 2017 to 2019.

Gase has his system.  I really can't see a scenario where he brings in another "alpha" offensive guy to coach.  I can see him bringing in more junior type people or elevating someone on the current staff if Loggains were to depart for some reason, but can't envision a situation where a proven OC with many years of running offenses is brought in under Gase.

EDIT:  One possible wrinkle would be the connections that Douglas has in the coaching community from his years with Baltimore, Chicago and Philly.  Wouldn't be completely surprising for Douglas to suggest some additions or changes, maybe trying to pluck an up-and-comer from the coaching ranks in those places.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

either one wouldn't matter...  gase is Not giving up calling plays... maybe chris johnson orders him to but I doubt it. 

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

I understand your point, but Gase is the HC here, like it or not. He handles the offense.

Do you really think he'd bring Mike Martz out of mothballs? The odds of that happening are the same as him bringing Kurt Warner in to play QB..

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, KRL said:

I would take Martz but either of them would be a tremendous addition.

Gase needs to give up the play calling and focus on the team!!!

Gase is an egomaniac. Never happen. All he wants is his puppet who gets paid to do nothing but get his coffee. If not for AG I doubt DL even has an NFL job.

AG wants all the credit- still have very serious doubts there will be any credit to give to this offense next year. 
Im willing to admit he did do a good job of keeping the team together and had a real good 2nd half. Based on that he’s earned a 2nd year. He still has never proven however  other than with Manning his offense is worth a damn though. But no. No other credible coaches will he brought in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I would love having Bill Calahan back as OL coach. 

Agree with most everyone that Gase's ego won't allow him to bring in a guy like Martz or Callahan.  The guy who ultimately is going to help with Gase has to be Sam. No doubt Manning's success in Denver was aided by his ability to change plays and tempo on the fly.  If Sam gets to that same mental level, I bet he'll be very successful with Gase.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Gase has his system.  I really can't see a scenario where he brings in another "alpha" offensive guy to coach.  I can see him bringing in more junior type people or elevating someone on the current staff if Loggains were to depart for some reason, but can't envision a situation where a proven OC with many years of running offenses is brought in under Gase.

EDIT:  One possible wrinkle would be the connections that Douglas has in the coaching community from his years with Baltimore, Chicago and Philly.  Wouldn't be completely surprising for Douglas to suggest some additions or changes, maybe trying to pluck an up-and-comer from the coaching ranks in those places.

Agreed!  Gase is the offensive coordinator and QB coach.  The offensive assistants, Loggains, is his right hand man who assists Gase in coaching Gase’s system, and developing the QB’s.  TE, RB coach and WR coaches all align to Gase.  I think Ward was a great addition and I think he is developing as a solid assistant coach!  The one area I would like to maybe see some movement is with OL coach!  That is also an area I know Douglas will influence Gase!

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

There is no changing Gase it’s his way or the highway, and he will take the highway himself if he has to.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I understand your point, but Gase is the HC here, like it or not. He handles the offense.

Do you really think he'd bring Mike Martz out of mothballs? The odds of that happening are the same as him bringing Kurt Warner in to play QB..

Wait, can we do that??

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Seems to be an oft repeated narrative. 

Not any more/less than any other team in regards to coaches who are let go. 

He had sour grapes that we interviewed him for the head coaching job and passed over on him. That's all. 

31 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

There is no changing Gase it’s his way or the highway, and he will take the highway himself if he has to.

Is this a bad thing?  We should want the offensive minded Head Coach to run his system.  Does Belichick have somebody run their system on his team?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, KRL said:

I wouldn't expect either to be OC I would want them to have
a title like Asst. HC Offense.  I know Gase is never giving
up calling plays but he needs someone "senior" to keep him
focused

Totally agree.

Adding Martz doesn't make sense. Callahan would be a good upgrade over Pollack.

Our coaches are fine as is though. We need better players. Jim Bob is a good coach and look at the production of our RBs? Put together an above average OL and everyone will be labeled a genius. 

• Upvote 2