If You Were Not a Jets Fan, Who WOULD You be a Fan Of and Why?

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm down here 9 years now, and I just can't. I don't even watch them on Sundays, I either go out to watch the Jets, or watch Red Zone until their game is over.

Same thing with hockey, and the Canes.

I either watch the Jets or the red zone until they’re done also, but if there were no Jets the Panthers make the most sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Topic says it all:  If You Were Not a Jets Fan, Who WOULD You be a Fan Of and Why?

We all love football, but what if we didn't have that local-team love, or whatever love led you to the Jets?  

Who would you root for in a Jets-less world, and why?  All answers are CORRECT because it's all opinion!

What’s the premise, because I’m sure it’ll be different answers for almost everyone. Is it:

If there was no such thing as the Jets

or

If the Jets suddenly ceased to exist starting in 2020

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

What’s the premise, because I’m sure it’ll be different answers for almost everyone. Is it:

or

Whichever one makes you happy, and gets you to post an answer?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

You would have at least had that one SB appearance about 12 years ago, behind the great Rex Grossman.  ButI can see the parallel in that they do tend to hold on to 1985 they way we cling to 1968.

To shut my relatives up, I've actually done a side by side comparison before over the last 30 years between the 2 franchises.  They are insanely comparable.  Outside of the SB appearance compared to our 2 title games, that's the main difference.  Draft busts, QB play, win loss record, playoff appearances etc, they are incredibly similar.

Yet the Bears are still viewed(for the most part) as an upper echelon franchise.  Most of that history is nearing 80 years old or older.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

or

That's actually really interesting and my two scenarios would be different choices.   

If the Jets disappeared tomorrow, I actually would probably pick another long suffering franchise rather than jump on a current or perennial winner.  I like the underdogs I guess. Maybe the Falcons or Bengals. 

• Upvote 1

growing up in the 70s and not near NYC, begin following the Steelers in '72 due to them being underdogs for so long and finally going to the playoffs.  That was really good team during that decade and the consistently beat the hated Raiders.

Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers, or Baltimore Ravens.

Loved Brett Favre more than any other QB growing up.  Steve Young, however, was a close second, since I was a lefty QB as well.  49ers have gorgeous uniforms to boot.

The Ravens because of location.  I've always had a soft spot for them.

Hate to say it, but a Pats fan. Was born in Worcester, and was actually raised a Pats fan. Only went to the Jets after Curtis Martin did (I was just a kid, didn't know any better). 

But, if I could choose today, I'd probably pick the Packers. Favre and Ahman Green used to be some of my favorite players, along with Driver, Ferguson, etc. And I like Rodgers. 

Outside of that, I would say the Falcons because of Matt Ryan, but he's up there in age, and have no other reason to like them (other than the GOAT name in sports, Alge Crumpler, having played for them).

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

How sad that a team like the Jets is all ya got?

Therapist bills stacking up?

In my youth I used to follow the Jets, the Rangers, and the Mets but then the military came and went and I never got back into all of it.  I did stick with the NFL and even wrote a program on my Commodore 64 that predicted winners for my office football pool.  THEN the NFL added a bunch of new teams and the bye week, and my program as written couldn't adapt so I rage quit all of sports :)  So.....yeah maybe I do need a therapist.

Anyway Rex's arrival caught my attention and I got back into Jets football.  So, two good years and now look at us!  Good Grief.     

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Most Jets fans are more fans of the team than the sport. They'd probably stop watching the NFL altogether if the Jets were contracted tomorrow.

As for me, it would be 1 of the 2 teams...

Giants - Local NY team. Most likely would be them

Titans: Grew up a huge fan of Steve McNair (R.I.P.) as well as Eddie George and Javon Kearse. Also in 2000 I ended up having having to root for them full time because my main 6th grade teacher was a Titans fan, so the class would be rooting for them every week to win so that we wouldn't get piled with extra homework if they lost ???

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

or

Can we make believe they didn’t exist the last 4 years. 

• Haha 1

Didn't have a local NFL team growing up.  Some close family were Jets fans... that's how I got into the team.  If not the Jets, then maybe SF or the Raiders otherwise?  They were popular amongst my friends growing up.  So that would probably have been the reason I was one too.  

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Topic says it all:  If You Were Not a Jets Fan, Who WOULD You be a Fan Of and Why?

We all love football, but what if we didn't have that local-team love, or whatever love led you to the Jets?  

Who would you root for in a Jets-less world, and why?  All answers are CORRECT because it's all opinion!

Damn you Dad.   Grew up in an area in between NY Phil, and Pit.   Steelers were the dynasty at the time.   Well before DTV and availability of watching all the games.   Steelers were on all the time.  Was rooting for the Steelers.   Dad was friends with the Michaels brothers...was told had to root for the Jets.   Sack Exchange got me hook line and sinker.   Vaguley remember the Todd int in the end zone ending the come back attempt vs. the Bills in the playoffs.   Remember a game against the Flippers with a game winning td as time expired (Todd to Barkum I think).   81 playoff run....mud bowl.   Should have known after that...but here I am.

14 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Hard to say....

I loved watching the old Air Coryell Chargers back in the day, so probably them. Plus I prefer teams that don't have a real life mascot so to speak.

And I can't stand the color red, so that rules out the Bills/Chiefs/Texans/49ers/Rats/Falcons/Redskins

Loved watching that team play.

• Upvote 1