Trent Williams wants 20M per

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Year 1 - $20 mil (Guaranteed)

Year 2 - $5 mil base salary (guaranteed) $15 mil roster bonus

Year 3 - $5 mil base salary (guaranteed) $15 mil roster bonus 

So $30 mil guaranteed at signing with $20 mil going to him year one. 

They way you said it it seemed as if you were ready to give out $50 mil in year one.

This yes

Trent Wiliams signed a very lucrative contract, at the time, in 2015.  He played well for three years.  He could not play last year, a year when his contract was pretty outdated.  In 2019 he is grossly underpriced, if he is healthy.  Of course he is going to try and shoot his way out of his contract and get an upgrade.  

Let him get cut and pay him $1-1.25mm for every game he starts.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RobR said:

My last attempt at providing clarity. Your proposal would pay him $50 mil guaranteed after ONE season. The last two years would only pay him $10 mil. So 83% of his contract would be paid out after one year.....and that would be your proposal to incentivize him to play hard for 3 years?  

You're reading him wrong. His proposal was a 30M guaranty, with 20M of the 30 coming in year 1 cash, and the next ten split 5 and 5 between years 2 and 3. 

Never gonna happen, but that's not 30M gtd plus 20 year 1

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'd be nervous paying big bucks to a great player who sat out for a year...

He is just going to cash in and call hit a day. I seriously hope JD stays away from this guy.  Too damned risky for me,. 

• Upvote 2

You could make a dynasty out of the players Jets fans pass on.

Macc drafted like crap and was consistently 30M under the cap. I don't want to pass on guys like Williams just so Woody can continue his strategy of making more profits with a cheap loser than an expensive winner.

I want a good team please before I die/go senile/need a liver transplant.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If Trent Williams costs us only a middle to late round draft pick yes

I’m in this camp. Don’t care that much about the money. The draft picks are what we need to be careful with. Huge hope JD knows what he’s doing because if he doesn’t... well we all know what it means.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, jgb said:

You could make a dynasty out of the players Jets fans pass on.

Macc drafted like crap and was consistently 30M under the cap. I don't want to pass on guys like Williams just so Woody can continue his strategy of making more profits with a cheap loser than an expensive winner.

I want a good team please before I die/go senile/need a liver transplant.

Don't let past decisions influence future ones. He's 32, injury prone, demanding a huge contract after sitting out a whole year. Even if he turns out to be 100% worth it, the Jets aren't going anywhere the next couple of years. All of his great play would be wasted on a rebuilding team. And we'd lose draft picks.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Don't let past decisions influence future ones. He's 32, injury prone, demanding a huge contract after sitting out a whole year. Even if he turns out to be 100% worth it, the Jets aren't going anywhere the next couple of years. All of his great play would be wasted on a rebuilding team. And we'd lose draft picks.

Agree in principle but not in fact. Worthwhile investment to avoid another year of debate as to who Sam is/can be.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree in principle but not in fact. Worthwhile investment to avoid another year of debate as to who Sam is/can be.

The idea that we don't already know what Sam is is ridiculous. Yes, there were plenty of times when he was on the run, but there were plenty of times he wasn't. And in those times, he made some pretty piss-poor decisions. We don't need to take on a bad contract and give away draft picks because of some fantasy idea that getting Williams will magically allow us to see into some eight-ball and predict Sam's future.

In a world where Robby Anderson is worth 14 mil per, Trent Williams can be worth 20. 

For reference TW is a 7x Pro Bowl 1x All Pro 

it's similar to when Alan Faneca hit the market 

Faneca had more accolades, TW plays a rarer position 

needless to say this price tag makes trading him difficult for Washington 

Jets fans balk at this number because we aren't 1 player away but a team who needs an LT for a short window run might consider it. Adjust Faneca's 7 mil in 2008 for the cap and dollar inflation it's not too far away from 20 mil. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans balk at this number because we aren't 1 player away but a team who needs an LT for a short window run might consider it. Adjust Faneca's 7 mil in 2008 for the cap and dollar inflation it's not too far away from 20 mil. 

And that's just my point: we don't need a short-run player. We're not in that position right now. It'd just be a massive waste of resources. Faneca was worth it because it didn't cost any draft picks, and we were a few players away from contention.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JetPotato said:

And I'd like to have an orgy with Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olson, Karen Gillan, Zoe Saldana, Evangeline Lilly and Cobie Smulders all in full makeup and costumes.

Might be a long shot, though.

Nice.  You'd end up with so much green and blue paint on your d**k you'd look like a body artist.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

...not sure you understand what 100% means. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JTJet said:

- who has an Injury history

- who hasnt played an entire season

- who had cancer surgery

- Who had a large piece or scalp removed

- who cant currently fit into a helmet

See below.

- that was in the past

- but we’re in a new decade

- so you’re saying he doesn’t have cancer any more 

- so make him a smaller helmet

- scratch that. Make him a bigger helmet

$20 mil is way too much for Trent. I was thinking $16 per for 3 years. This is now a pass.

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

In a world where Robby Anderson is worth 14 mil per, Trent Williams can be worth 20. 

Can you share with the class your thoughts on the 2021 OT draft class?  Reason is: If we decide to afford Trent Williams and draft a tier-1 WR in the first round, we can always dip in the draftee pond next year to get an OT (if Trent isn't the answer). 

[Penei Sewell (Oregon), Alex Leatherwood (Alabama), Sam Cosmi (Texas), Walker Little (Stanford), Cade Mays & Trey Smith (Tennessee), Jalen Mayfield (Michigan)] 

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

And that's a reason to stay away, not a reason to jump in with both feet. 

1. Faneca wasn't worth that $8MM/year when he was here. In his prime, sure, but we got him after that. He is and was given a lot of undue extra credit for the combination of Ferguson - a premiere talent in his own right - getting better after his first 2 seasons (Mangold was already great pre-Faneca), plus credit for not being Adrien Clarke after the infantile Mangini-Tannenbaum handling of Kendall that offseason. 

2. Faneca ended up getting a whole lot more than the $7MM you think it was, that after being cut early (ended up being 50% more than that, at just over $10MM/season). He got $21MM for one pretty good (but hardly great) season, followed by one pretty meh season, before getting cut (with millions guaranteed still remaining). Only makes it worse that it was smart of the Jets to cut him in favor of 2nd year, 6th round Slauson you scoffed at only having value maybe as a backup (and even that, only while he was so cheap). After that final year in Arizona - with the Jets paying the overwhelming bulk of his salary - Faneca was out of the league forever.

It was a tragic contract for the Jets to hand out to Faneca on balance. I'll never understand the romance with it in hindsight, other than points for the effort, let alone use that awful contract as justification to trade for Williams.