Jets Sign George Fant

Mo Lew

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also, Wilson holds the ball for an eternity, so I’d imagine any ORT is going to give up a lot of pressures on that team

Who knows.  They've been eyeing the guy for a while so there is clearly there is something they like about him.  I dont think the Jets view this as big of a miss as the fans do, he seemed to be somewhat of a priority.  

Just now, JiF said:

Who knows.  They've been eyeing the guy for a while so there is clearly there is something they like about him.  I dont think the Jets view this as big of a miss as the fans do, he seemed to be somewhat of a priority.  

I am just so pissed the offseason started so quickly and ended so fast and I missed it.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, derp said:

I think in terms of Fant - the Jets were ready to move on from Beachum and want to address the offensive line in the draft but needed an insurance policy at LT. Enter Fant.

Conklin would’ve been awkward as a RT only roster construction wise. Still would need to add Fant as insurance. They want to give Edoga a shot as well and presumably want to take a look at this tackle class. Four guys for two spots doesn’t make sense. Conklin also a run blocker more than pass protector.

Can draft a top four tackle. Guy wins the LT job over Fant? Awesome. Fant and Edoga compete for RT - loser is a solid backup swing tackle. Fant wins the LT job? Rookie and Edoga compete. Edoga wins RT? A few of the top four tackles project well to guard.

This isn’t in any way flashy. But a Fant has upside, is cost controlled, won’t break the bank, should be motivated to exceed the contract because he hits FA again reasonably young, is getting very little guaranteed money so can likely be cut after this year if he’s the backup swing tackle, fits what they want to do schematically, and allows a lot of options for addressing OL in the draft. Low downside, retain flexibility.

Closer to Idzik than Macc. I liked what Idzik did except his talent evaluation sucked. If Douglas is a better talent evaluator - nice balance of being measured but seeking upside. We’ll see. The offensive line should be his wheelhouse.

Great post

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah. Highly athletic, young, starting experience, but comes from a weird team that throws away OL every year and asks Wilson to save the day. Hard to be upset or excited by the move.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The Fant signing should also shed a little light on the type of OT the Jets may be looking to draft.  

Yes, may mean Thomas would not be at the top of our list vs a Wills or Wirfs. If so, and they are gone would be happier to see us go WR in round 1.

everyone needs to CALM DOWN.  There's enough panic going on.  Give Joe Douglas a little space and a little grace to do his job.  We can not have a rotating door every single year like we've done for the past 20 years.  Just stop.

Let it breathe folks!

20 minutes ago, derp said:

I think in terms of Fant - the Jets were ready to move on from Beachum and want to address the offensive line in the draft but needed an insurance policy at LT. Enter Fant.

Conklin would’ve been awkward as a RT only roster construction wise. Still would need to add Fant as insurance. They want to give Edoga a shot as well and presumably want to take a look at this tackle class. Four guys for two spots doesn’t make sense. Conklin also a run blocker more than pass protector.

Can draft a top four tackle. Guy wins the LT job over Fant? Awesome. Fant and Edoga compete for RT - loser is a solid backup swing tackle. Fant wins the LT job? Rookie and Edoga compete. Edoga wins RT? A few of the top four tackles project well to guard.

This isn’t in any way flashy. But a Fant has upside, is cost controlled, won’t break the bank, should be motivated to exceed the contract because he hits FA again reasonably young, is getting very little guaranteed money so can likely be cut after this year if he’s the backup swing tackle, fits what they want to do schematically, and allows a lot of options for addressing OL in the draft. Low downside, retain flexibility.

Closer to Idzik than Macc. I liked what Idzik did except his talent evaluation sucked. If Douglas is a better talent evaluator - nice balance of being measured but seeking upside. We’ll see. The offensive line should be his wheelhouse.

It gives the jets flexibility to draft a LT at 11, a RT at 11 or trade back.  Fant can play either tackle spot.  I’m assuming Anderson will leave, meaning the jets will need as many picks to address offense as possible which suggests a trade back from 11 would also be plausible.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah. Highly athletic, young, starting experience, but comes from a weird team that throws away OL every year and asks Wilson to save the day. Hard to be upset or excited by the move.

So far we're 1 for 2 with Seattle Ol. Breno bad, Carpenter good. Hope this dude is the later.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

No one wants my 02 cents but here it is anyway: 

This was a decent signing. Not amazing not terrible. Underrated and will likely turn out just fine. 

George Fant is a starting caliber left tackle, and a schematic fit for Gase zone. He's what they are looking for: Tall, athletic, former TE plus 70 pounds of muscle. They aren't looking for Jack Conklin/Big V maulers who can win a battle in a phonebooth (especially after seeing how bad KO worked out here). The Jets offensive line will be a bunch of finesse Dbrick types - George Fant and Edoga aren't all pro's but could be an adequate starting pair. Im more worred about Edoga than Fant. 

Beachum is/was a good player but he played on 2 bad legs last year and is essentially done in the league as a starter. Fant has way less mileage than Conklin and will have a longer career. 

For what's next I hope they bring back Alex Lewis at LG and take a look at Connor McGovern at C. They shouldn't go into the draft with open starting positions on the line. 

If you’re correct here, then the jets would then not be interested in a guy like wills, rather preferring a guy like josh jones.  If they’re intent on drafting a tackle in the first round, this could be a trade back scenario, or, they could draft Jeudy or lamb.  Completely changes how the jets view offensive players.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to be upset or excited by the move.

Yeah, this.

Just because it happened on day one doesn't mean it's a day one featured signing like the other moves.  He has a role.  There's no reason to be anything but pretty neutral on this one, and I'd be shocked if the 30M number isn't totally inflated by the final year which, in the best case, he'll get an extension, and in the worst, or even neutral case, he'll be let go.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

If you’re correct here, then the jets would then not be interested in a guy like wills, rather preferring a guy like josh jones.  If they’re intent on drafting a tackle in the first round, this could be a trade back scenario, or, they could draft Jeudy or lamb.  Completely changes how the jets view offensive players.

players the Jets probably like: Becton, Thomas and Josh Jones

players the Jets probably don't like: Wirfs, Wills or any "undersized" players.  Look at the bums they brought in like Conor McDermott and Tom Compton they want tall cheap goatherders. Gase is not going to pound the table for a bulldozer inside his scheme demands wide splits and getting to the second level ... "getting in the way" not pancakes 

Just now, bitonti said:

players the Jets probably like: Becton, Thomas and Josh Jones

players the Jets probably don't like: Wirfs, Wills or any "undersized" players.  Look at the bums they brought in like Conor McDermott and Tom Compton they want tall cheap goatherders. Gase is not going to pound the table for a bulldozer inside his scheme demands wide splits and getting to the second level ... "getting in the way" not pancakes 

Hopefully this also means they’re going to target quality rb slashers to get through the holes quicker.  

• Upvote 1

It’s usually these guys though that are the market inefficiency that can be exploited. Back up tackle/guards trained to play the position at the end of their rookie contracts. Like that guard that Chicago stole from us after his contract was up here. Forgot his name

43 minutes ago, derp said:

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No one wants my 02 cents but here it is anyway: 

This was a decent signing. Not amazing not terrible. Underrated and will likely turn out just fine. 

George Fant is a starting caliber left tackle, and a schematic fit for Gase zone. He's what they are looking for: Tall, athletic, former TE plus 70 pounds of muscle. They aren't looking for Jack Conklin/Big V maulers who can win a battle in a phonebooth (especially after seeing how bad KO worked out here). The Jets offensive line will be a bunch of finesse Dbrick types - George Fant and Edoga aren't all pro's but could be an adequate starting pair. Im more worred about Edoga than Fant. 

Beachum is/was a good player but he played on 2 bad legs last year and is essentially done in the league as a starter. Fant has way less mileage than Conklin and will have a longer career. 

For what's next I hope they bring back Alex Lewis at LG and take a look at Connor McGovern at C. They shouldn't go into the draft with open starting positions on the line. 

2 very good perspectives.  Especially re; Conklin being a weird scheme fit.

I doubt they're done.  Plenty of 2nd tier guys who are instant upgrades to be signed.  I like McGovern, Erving, Leary, Gilbert, Bulaga, Williams there are even some longer in the tooth hold the fort guys to be had as well. 

5 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

It’s usually these guys though that are the market inefficiency that can be exploited. Back up tackle/guards trained to play the position at the end of their rookie contracts. Like that guard that Chicago stole from us after his contract was up here. Forgot his name

Matt Slauson.  Good player, who got stiffed by the obsession with Vlad DuCasse.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I'm fine with this signing.  The Jets have obviously been interested in him for some time, as Tony Pauline mentioned the Jets' interest in Fant back at the Senior Bowl.  So it's not like this is a knee-jerk signing, but a guy they have been targeting for quite a while.

Yes, other bigger names - some of whom were linked to the Jets - have signed elsewhere. But it looks like Douglas is targeting guys, setting a price he's prepared to pay, and isn't going to pay more than he thinks guys are worth. Maybe this is a wise strategy, maybe it isn't - only time will tell.

I don't get the impression that this is an Idzik type situation where there is no plan when you get outbid on guys. The Jets seemingly liked some of those bigger name guys, but at a price - and they had a plan for other guys to target if the price got too high.

Also, it looks like the Jets plan to play Fant at LT, at least initially.  Can anyone name another LT who has agreed a FA deal that the Jets have missed out on, or been outbid on?  A big name RT signed elsewhere, a big name Guard got franchised, and a biggish name C/G signed with another team. But the Jets got the LT that they wanted, and they signed him over other options such as Beachum or Peters or a trade for Trent Williams.

The price the Jets paid is extremely reasonable in the current market.  If Fant starts, and plays well, at LT then this is a great value deal.  If he starts, at plays well, at RT then it's a good value deal. In the event that he doesn't live up to expectations, it appears as though it should be easy to move on after 1 year with minimal cap impact. But, if he is a keeper, then you have a starting Tackle signed up for 3 years at a nice price.

The Seahawks, and their fans, also clearly liked the guy. He was viewed as a starter at LT for them until he got injured, leading to them trading for Duane Brown. A lot of Seahawk fans wanted him re-signed over Germaine Ifedi as the RT for now, at potential LT of the future once Brown's contract is up. The Seahawks opted for the 2nd round tender (at a cost of $3.1M) to prevent Fant from leaving last year, to ward off potential suitors. So the team that has worked with him most closely saw value in him as, clearly, did Douglas.

This also gives us flexibility in the draft not to force a pick at Tackle, unless the value is there. It might allow the Jets to pick a guy like Wills (if he is there) and play him on the right side, with a long-term view to developing him as a future LT.

Douglas was always going to take a methodical approach to team-building, rather than looking to make big splashes on day 1 of Free Agency. He's got a 6-year deal for a reason, and he's looking to build through the draft and complement that core with value free agents. He may make a splash or two if he sees value - I anticipate he may look to spend big money on a pass-rusher if he really likes one - but, for the most part, he's going to take the Ravens/Eagles approach of building through the draft.  It's that pedigree that attracted us to sign him as GM in the first place.

Hi Coops.  The problem I have is that all the top OL signed contracts much lower than projected.  If we couldn't sign them at the lower projections then we were never in it to begin with.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, derp said:

Every once in a while JN provides a football post that's actually worth reading.

29 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

everyone needs to CALM DOWN.  There's enough panic going on.  Give Joe Douglas a little space and a little grace to do his job.  We can not have a rotating door every single year like we've done for the past 20 years.  Just stop.

Let it breathe folks!

We're Jets fans; panic is our middle name...?

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Why are we always the ones hoping to find "a diamond in the rough"?  For once, please just give me a friggin' Harry Winston, Richard Burton giving Liz Taylor a massive diamond broach with matching earrings and ring-type player.  

Wow dating yourself a little with those references. I’m over 60 though so I’m with you!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mudcat22 said:

Hi Coops.  The problem I have is that all the top OL signed contracts much lower than projected.  If we couldn't sign them at the lower projections then we were never in it to begin with.

This, I think. Heard too many rumors that top FA's don't want to come to the dysfunctional Jets (can you blame them?). Would probably have to pay much more to get them to come here. And I like the idea of not going crazy spending on FA's. We need to fill many holes; fill some of them with good value FA's, and fill others with top talent by drafting well (something Idzik/MacMoron never did).

This team is not going to be fixed in 2020. If this team is a Super Bowl contender by 2022 or 2023, and remains a contender after that, I will be happy. I've been a fan for 50 years; I can wait a couple more IF we show serious improvement year over year.

1 hour ago, derp said:

If Fant was signed to be a swingman and not necessarily counted on to be a starter, great, although he's not getting paid backup money., he's getting paid 2nd tier starter money.  If this move means the Jets pass on an OT in the 1st or 2nd round, I hate the move. Want to see what else Douglas does with the O line before the draft to really make a legit judgement.

17 minutes ago, mudcat22 said:

Hey, 'Cat.  This could be true, although I have also read that the Jets weren't as hot on Conklin as many assumed, and Thuney obviously got franchised by the Cheats.  We probably did lose out on Glasgow, but these things happen in FA.

It's early, so I'll wait a few days and see what transpires before getting too worried.

15 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Beachum and Shell graded out better than him via PFF in 2019. Take that for whatever it is worth. He’s better than Edoga though!

So put him on the right side and draft Andrew Thomas or Wirfs or whoever falls to 11. I was hoping Fant would hold down LT and allow the Jets to take Jeudy or Lanb at 11, but if this guy is no better than Beachum then maybe Jets should re-sign Beachum for a two year deal and then take Jeudy or Lamb.

8 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Fant was signed to be a swingman and not necessarily counted on to be a starter, great, although he's not getting paid backup money., he's getting paid 2nd tier starter money.  If this move means the Jets pass on an OT in the 1st or 2nd round, I hate the move. Want to see what else Douglas does with the O line before the draft to really make a legit judgement.

If Fant is NOT a true LT and Douglas doesn't draft a true LT then he is no better than Maccagnan, who was also terrible at judging offensive linemen.

• Upvote 1