McGovern thrilled to join Jets - The Athletic

McGovern is a real quality signing. It's nice to have a GM who is finally prioritizing the offensive Line. I still don't like the Fant move at all but it is what it is. I would have preferred a proven veteran at one of the tackle spots like Conklin or Bulaga. 

McGovern is a building block player on the offensive line who could be hear long term and has position flexibility. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the way JD saw it, if they bring in Conklin they might not be able to give McGovern what he needed to choose NYJ 

I think George Fant will surprise people. Or at least stay mostly under the radar like Beachum. But they still need more long term clearly and Bulaga isn't a long-term kind of name. 

Fair

But sometimes bringing in veterans who can do the job for a few years helps with the younger players we are inevitably going to be adding to the line via the draft. Douglas is taking a somewhat different approach with signing Fant. He's banking on potential while giving himself the ability to move on from him after 1 year if it doesn't work out. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, British Jet said:

https://theathletic.com/1685492/2020/03/18/its-a-home-run-why-connor-mcgovern-is-thrilled-to-join-the-jets/?source=shared-article

It's behind a pay wall - but here are the direct quotes from the article for those who can't see it:

While McGovern was born and raised in North Dakota, his dad was born in New Jersey. His grandparents were born and raised in Brooklyn. He still has a slew of family members in the area.

“For the McGovern side?” he told The Athletic. “It’s a home run.”

Referees didn’t flag McGovern once last year. They’ve gotten him just nine times on 2,510 career snaps.

“That’s something I pride myself on,” McGovern said. “Penalties come when you get beat, you try to counter, and you’re not doing it correctly. You don’t know the proper technique to come back and fix your mistakes early. If you can learn to counter stuff, it’s the best way to unscrew yourself when you get screwed. It comes down to dedication and being able to fix mistakes before they become a bigger issue.

“You might beat me on the first move, but I’m going to counter and do everything I can to win blocks. I’m gritty and willing to do anything I can to block you. It’s not always pretty. That’s something I’ve learned over the years. But you can always recover. You can always come back. I’m not one to take a play or second off. I’m a gritty player through the whistle.”

McGovern said his preference is to remain at center. He believes it’s the best fit for him. Having guards nearby allows his quickness and strength to shine, while masking the fact he’s not the longest-armed player. It’s one of the reasons his play improved so much in 2019 (71.9 PFF grade up from 49.2 and 58.3 in 2017 and 2018). But if the Jets do move him, that’s fine, too.

“Selfishly, I like being the quarterback of the offensive line and having control over what everyone is doing and where everyone is going,” he said. “But wherever the Jets allow me to play, whatever I can do to help the team win the most games, that’s all that matters. I wanted to go somewhere to win. When you’re not winning, it’s not fun. I’m excited to get there and win some games.”

“I wanted to go to a team I thought would win, and a team that wanted me,” he said. “I wanted to go somewhere where I could come in, really help, and keep building a program on the rise. The Jets, in my opinion, are on the rise.

“I’m really excited about this. It’s a great opportunity. We’re going to do some special stuff.”

SEE???  People love the Jets!!! 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, British Jet said:

https://theathletic.com/1685492/2020/03/18/its-a-home-run-why-connor-mcgovern-is-thrilled-to-join-the-jets/?source=shared-article

It's behind a pay wall - but here are the direct quotes from the article for those who can't see it:

While McGovern was born and raised in North Dakota, his dad was born in New Jersey. His grandparents were born and raised in Brooklyn. He still has a slew of family members in the area.

“For the McGovern side?” he told The Athletic. “It’s a home run.”

Referees didn’t flag McGovern once last year. They’ve gotten him just nine times on 2,510 career snaps.

“That’s something I pride myself on,” McGovern said. “Penalties come when you get beat, you try to counter, and you’re not doing it correctly. You don’t know the proper technique to come back and fix your mistakes early. If you can learn to counter stuff, it’s the best way to unscrew yourself when you get screwed. It comes down to dedication and being able to fix mistakes before they become a bigger issue.

“You might beat me on the first move, but I’m going to counter and do everything I can to win blocks. I’m gritty and willing to do anything I can to block you. It’s not always pretty. That’s something I’ve learned over the years. But you can always recover. You can always come back. I’m not one to take a play or second off. I’m a gritty player through the whistle.”

McGovern said his preference is to remain at center. He believes it’s the best fit for him. Having guards nearby allows his quickness and strength to shine, while masking the fact he’s not the longest-armed player. It’s one of the reasons his play improved so much in 2019 (71.9 PFF grade up from 49.2 and 58.3 in 2017 and 2018). But if the Jets do move him, that’s fine, too.

“Selfishly, I like being the quarterback of the offensive line and having control over what everyone is doing and where everyone is going,” he said. “But wherever the Jets allow me to play, whatever I can do to help the team win the most games, that’s all that matters. I wanted to go somewhere to win. When you’re not winning, it’s not fun. I’m excited to get there and win some games.”

“I wanted to go to a team I thought would win, and a team that wanted me,” he said. “I wanted to go somewhere where I could come in, really help, and keep building a program on the rise. The Jets, in my opinion, are on the rise.

“I’m really excited about this. It’s a great opportunity. We’re going to do some special stuff.”

This was a good sign.  To get McGovern oriented, show him this list and let him think...

Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae, Mangold, McGovern

This also frees up Harrison to play one of the guard spots.  IMHO, he is good enough on the inside of the line to be considered starting quality...

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I really think people are selling Fant short, because he isn't a 'name'.

From what I have seen, he has talent. Great mobility and impressive power. Yes, he hasn't played as much as you would like in the pros, but the Hawks valued him and people in the know think he is ready to start. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do as a full-time player.

This is the first I have read of him being good.  Hope it works out.  Barnwell on ESPN gave us a D+ for the signing.

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

This is the first I have read of him being good.  Hope it works out.  Barnwell on ESPN gave us a D+ for the signing.

That makes me feel even better about the signing. TV talking heads grading FA and the draft is always a laughable exercise.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I expect that in a few weeks, we'll have a lot less ESPN 'journalists' to ignore.  I can't imagine those jobs are going to last much longer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

One good lineman makes the others around him look a bit better. 

This is very true. Harrison is a below average center, but after he replaced the completely incompetent Kalil the line got a little better. McGovern should have a much bigger effect.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

McGovern is a real quality signing. It's nice to have a GM who is finally prioritizing the offensive Line. I still don't like the Fant move at all but it is what it is. I would have preferred a proven veteran at one of the tackle spots like Conklin or Bulaga. 

McGovern is a building block player on the offensive line who could be hear long term and has position flexibility. 

that was   gase call. Cant explain crazy eyes. but the guys should be fine.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jedrick Wills - 6 total penalties 
(and a repuation for having them at the worst times). 4 false starts.  

Tristan Wirfs - 2 total penalties - False start vs Rutgers 9/7. False start vs Michigan 10/5

Mekhi Becton - 2 total penalties - no penalties all year until 2 Penalties vs Kentucky 11/30 (false start and personal foul, 13-45 rivalry loss)

Andrew Thomas - 1 total penalty - False start vs Tenn 10/5

I knew Thomas was the best. 

18 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

wait how does that work? Kalil was worse than harrision but the line got better? I lost you there sorry. Are you saying harison or kalil was better? I thought better player made better line...

Harrison was not a good player but played much better than Kalil. When Harrison came in, the whole line looked better.

• Upvote 1