Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetster

What type of RB will JD be looking for?

Recommended Posts

With 2 third round picks, I'm thinking he's going RB with one of them. I'm not a college watcher so I'm curious what guys you draftnicks think will fall into the 3rd round? 

I'd like to take a look of a few the tapes on the guys that will be in that range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have Bell on this team making a ton of money. He's a 3 down RB. With all of the holes on this team I'd be very surprised if used a 3rd round pick on a running back. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id take an Anthony McFarland in the 5th. 

I wouldn't go RB in the 3rd though.  To high for us, have more pressing needs at 3

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Edwards-Hilaire in the 3rd

 

5' 7" RB in the 3rd?  

Who ran a 4.60 at the combine?

Doubt it

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

None. 

He's got Le'Veon Bell.

And all Le'Veon Bell needs in front of him is an improved (Joe Douglas) O-Line...

Because behind an offensive line, LeVeon Bell is one of the greatest RB's of All-Time, durable and still within his prime. 

Even as a 1st year Jet (behind an atrocious O-Line) Bell still recorded 66 receptions coming out of the backfield last year. 

• Holes and needed everywhere @ O-Line for both Darmold and Bell. 

• Lack of WR options for Sam Darnold. 

• More question marks than answers @ CB.

• Have not featured an athletic outside pass rusher @ OLB since dating back to John Abraham. 

But yet you're calling for a 3rd round running back? Mind boggling. 

I wouldn't draft a RB to backup Bell (still only 28) until the 7th round. And then draft DeeJay Dallas out of Miami Hurricanes. 

 

Hopefully he will return to his prime.  It was fun to watch him play, a game-changer. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

None. 

He's got Le'Veon Bell.

You do realize this is likely Le'Veon's last year as a Jet regardless, right?

I agree that it's not necessary to go as high as a 3rd on a RB.  But a 4th/5th?  Why not?  You need a stable of backs in this league.  

You claim RB isn't a hole, but currently Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell are UFA's and we haven't brought in any RBs of significance.  That makes RB2, and future RB1, an absolute need.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone who can smash through a tiny gap. 
 

Bell excels at being patient and waiting for something to open up. Which is why he failed last year. Nothing ever did. 
We need someone who can just run through the group for a few yards. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

We have Bell on this team making a ton of money. He's a 3 down RB. With all of the holes on this team I'd be very surprised if used a 3rd round pick on a running back. 

Bell is finished.  He has no burst left.  

We need a back that can hit the hole hard and get yards.  I’m hoping we take one in the 3rd.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

None. 

He's got Le'Veon Bell.

And all Le'Veon Bell needs in front of him is an improved (Joe Douglas) O-Line...

Because behind an offensive line, LeVeon Bell is one of the greatest RB's of All-Time, durable and still within his prime. 

Even as a 1st year Jet (behind an atrocious O-Line) Bell still recorded 66 receptions coming out of the backfield last year. 

He's a 3x Pro Bowler and a 3x All-Pro and also ranks top 5 All-Time in offensive yards from scrimmage per game for a reason (behind an O-Line he's unstoppable). 

• Holes and needed everywhere @ O-Line for both Darmold and Bell. 

• Lack of WR options for Sam Darnold. 

• More question marks than answers @ CB.

• Have not featured an athletic outside pass rusher @ OLB since dating back to John Abraham. 

But yet you're calling for a 3rd round running back? Mind boggling. 

I wouldn't draft a RB to backup Bell (still only 28) until the 7th round. And then draft DeeJay Dallas out of Miami Hurricanes. 

 

I get your argument but the writing is on the wall for Bell. Gase wants no part of him. Seemed like the Jets tried to trade him and are starting to feel like this contract is weighing them down. So you are drafting someone who could potentially take over next year, or at least so that you have young depth for next year. Because next year Bell is a goner. The Jets can cut him without taking a major cap hit.

I don;t dislike Bell at all, that's just how I view the situation. 

So yeah, given the needs maybe not a RB in the 3rd. But in the 4th, 5th or 6th- absolutely. 

A.Gibson (my favorite), McFarland, D.Evans, Perine, AJ Dillon, R.Corbin are all possible targets in the bottom half of the draft. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Some guy on Twitter was swearing up and down that the Jets were absolutely Smitten with Anthony McFarland.  In most mocks I’ve seen, he can be drafted in the 5th round. 

“There is no bigger combine crush than the Jets and Anthony McFarland”

If true, we are looking for a one-cut take it to the house type of runner, which would fit the new blocking scheme. 

 

i was thinking they are looking for the same type of back.  they don't necessarily want a guy who is very patient and waits for the holes to come open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Someone who can smash through a tiny gap. 
 

Bell excels at being patient and waiting for something to open up. Which is why he failed last year. Nothing ever did. 
We need someone who can just run through the group for a few yards. 

like chris ivory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I dont think this is what Gase is looking for.

okay, how isn't ivory this type of back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

None. 

He's got Le'Veon Bell.

And all Le'Veon Bell needs in front of him is an improved (Joe Douglas) O-Line...

Because behind an offensive line, LeVeon Bell is one of the greatest RB's of All-Time, durable and still within his prime. 

Even as a 1st year Jet (behind an atrocious O-Line) Bell still recorded 66 receptions coming out of the backfield last year. 

He's a 3x Pro Bowler and a 3x All-Pro and also ranks top 5 All-Time in offensive yards from scrimmage per game for a reason (behind an O-Line he's unstoppable). 

• Holes and needed everywhere @ O-Line for both Darmold and Bell. 

• Lack of WR options for Sam Darnold. 

• More question marks than answers @ CB.

• Have not featured an athletic outside pass rusher @ OLB since dating back to John Abraham. 

But yet you're calling for a 3rd round running back? Mind boggling. 

I wouldn't draft a RB to backup Bell (still only 28) until the 7th round. And then draft DeeJay Dallas out of Miami Hurricanes. 

 

Hmmmm, DJ Dallas as a late round pick?  I like it, fits Gase's O 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bell is finished.  He has no burst left.  

We need a back that can hit the hole hard and get yards.  I’m hoping we take one in the 3rd.

Not everything is about burst. He never really had a ton of burst. He is a veteran who knows how to play the game, which is important. He is elusive and has great vision. He is big and strong and can make something out of nothing if he has to. This means he can be effective in short yardage situations. He can block, line up as a WR and has great hands- this means he can be effective in long yardage situations. He's overall a very balanced and still very good NFL RB. 

Now, is he a home run hitter at this point in his career? Probably not. He has lost some burst and we haven't really seen some of that long speed that we've seen in the past. Does it make sense to feature him in this offense? Does it make sense to pay him all this money? I dunno. The Jets signed him so they should know what they are doing. They know what they were getting, its not like Bell suddenly fell off a cliff and came to the Jets a completely different player.  

Building a legitimate O-line, putting him in better situations to success and pairing him with an explosive, speedy home-run hitter type RB will help the offense and run game a tremendous amount.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You do realize this is likely Le'Veon's last year as a Jet regardless, right?

I agree that it's not necessary to go as high as a 3rd on a RB.  But a 4th/5th?  Why not?  You need a stable of backs in this league.  

You claim RB isn't a hole, but currently Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell are UFA's and we haven't brought in any RBs of significance.  That makes RB2, and future RB1, an absolute need.

Completely agree and bell may not be here beyond this year and could perhaps be traded during the season.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not everything is about burst. He never really had a ton of burst. He is a veteran who knows how to play the game, which is important. He is elusive and has great vision. He is big and strong and can make something out of nothing if he has to. This means he can be effective in short yardage situations. He can block, line up as a WR and has great hands- this means he can be effective in long yardage situations. He's overall a very balanced and still very good NFL RB. 

Now, is he a home run hitter at this point in his career? Probably not. He has lost some burst and we haven't really seen some of that long speed that we've seen in the past. Does it make sense to feature him in this offense? Does it make sense to pay him all this money? I dunno. The Jets signed him so they should know what they are doing. They know what they were getting, its not like Bell suddenly fell off a cliff and came to the Jets a completely different player.  

Building a legitimate O-line, putting him in better situations to success and pairing him with an explosive, speedy home-run hitter type RB will help the offense and run game a tremendous amount.   

I guess he can still be effective as a receiver out of the back field but he shouldn’t be carrying the ball anymore.

I would not be surprised if he gets cut before the season starts.  He’s just much too slow right now to be an effective RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

okay, how isn't ivory this type of back?

Can't catch,  not really fast enough to run outside consistently,.  Maybe he was fast enough earlier in his career, but he could never catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Can't catch,  not really fast enough to run outside consistently

okay, i'll buy that.  but he certainly hit the hole pretty fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cam Akers with the 79th overall pick

 

If Bell goes down then we'll have an incompetent run game and Sam can't carry a one dimensional offense. Powell is good for what the OL gives him. Fresh legs are neccessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I guess he can still be effective as a receiver out of the back field but he shouldn’t be carrying the ball anymore.

I would not be surprised if he gets cut before the season starts.  He’s just much too slow right now to be an effective RB.

I disagree completely. Last season he was underutilized and running behind a line being pushed back into his face. It was just absurd how bad the run blocking was. We talk about how bad the blocking was for Sam, it was 10x better than for Bell. Still, there were games where he made plays and slashed the defense for chunks. We talk about Powell having more success running directly at the defense. That doesn't make him a better RB, that just bails out a terrible OLine and makes them look like they are better than they are.   

Anyway, he will probably be cut next year anyway b/c the cap hit will go down to 4mil and its clear Gase does not want to pay so much for a RB and can't figure out an effective way to use him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roscoeword said:

We need a Bruce Harper- Leon Washington type.

Trenton Cannon doesn't do it for you?😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JD should not get cute here.  He should take BARB, EDGE or CB with the second pick in the 3rd round, and BA RB with the 4th round pick if he did not pick a RB prior.  

I am assuming the first pick in the 3rd round is another WR.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Some guy on Twitter was swearing up and down that the Jets were absolutely Smitten with Anthony McFarland.  In most mocks I’ve seen, he can be drafted in the 5th round

“There is no bigger combine crush than the Jets and Anthony McFarland”

If true, we are looking for a one-cut take it to the house type of runner, which would fit the new blocking scheme. 

Download video

 

5th round seems right to me for RB this year.  Maybe 4th at best...though Edge-CB-WR-OT could be in the mix in 4th too.

In those first three rounds of the draft...Jets could possibly be taking 2 OT's and 2 WRs.  Not etched in stone...but this is possible.  Jets priority should be more focused on acquiring young studs for protection and receivers for Gase's offense. Which is more focused towards the passing game.

IMO, everything will be contingent on if a "steal" value appears in the 3rd to change JD's priorities over picking a position of immediate need. 

Again...I think JD will pick a RB in this draft.  But I just don't see it occurring in round 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Bell is finished.  He has no burst left.  

We need a back that can hit the hole hard and get yards.  I’m hoping we take one in the 3rd.

Bell needs to be catching the ball more than running with it. He's a better receiver than a runner by a very large margin. I would not mind seeing Bell in numerous positions and have another RB carry the load of running the football. Not only would this be utilizing Bells talents better but it will extend his career.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Some guy on Twitter was swearing up and down that the Jets were absolutely Smitten with Anthony McFarland.  In most mocks I’ve seen, he can be drafted in the 5th round. 

“There is no bigger combine crush than the Jets and Anthony McFarland”

If true, we are looking for a one-cut take it to the house type of runner, which would fit the new blocking scheme. 

 

He has some serious wheels, definitely feels like that style fits better than Bell. I think we will try to trade Bell to a contender at the trade deadline. His contract would be very manageable for a contending team and could be cut with almost no dead cap after this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...