Why OT needs to be the pick at 11. Fant and Edoga may not be the guys.

PepPep

It all will depend on how Douglas grades these OTs. I seriously doubt the FO has all 4 OT’s expected in the first round graded the same or higher than Jeudy/Ruggs.

I also doubt the one(s) OT that JD wants will be available to us at 11. Just a hunch.

Given that I doubt one of the OTs worth taking that high will be available I hope we go Jeudy/Ruggs at 11

or

Trade down and take a Cleveland, Jackson, Jones further down in the 1st and double dip at WR with our 2nd rounder and whatever extra pick we acquired from the trade down (low 2nd or a high 3rd).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Stop taking PFF as gospel.

Who is taking it as gospel?  That was the purpose of the "I know, I know."  I know you watched the guy.  I was wondering if you flat out disagreed with their concern, or if you just think it is overblown?  That was  a pretty specific complaint about Becton, it's not like I'm asking what you thought of them giving him a 61.2 or something.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Who is taking it as gospel?  That was the purpose of the "I know, I know."  I know you watched the guy.  I was wondering if you flat out disagreed with their concern, or if you just think it is overblown?  That was  a pretty specific complaint about Becton, it's not like I'm asking what you thought of them giving him a 61.2 or something.

I think Becton is the type of generational type prospect that doesn't come along very often. Does he have holes in his game.....of course he does, they all do. When you look at a prospect you have to try and envision what he will become, not what he is right now. Becton is also very young(turns 21 next month) with no red flags.

And I didn't even read the PFF quote.?

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm just finding it hard to believe that the plan has been to spend $30 mil on a player, $13 guaranteed.  Then draft another player at the same position, play the rookie OT and pass on a WR who could help at a position of need instead of one of the two new OTs sitting on the bench

I fully think Fant is penciled in to start at LT. That doesn't mean the Jets won't draft an OT at 11 and have them compete for the RT spot. Edoga has not shown much IMO. And in the future, if the rookie turns out to be an absolute stud and Fant disappoints, JD is not committed financially to him. If both play well, thats a good thing. The critical thing here is protecting Sam. 

The Jets can add a dangerous WR weapon in Rd. 2 (doesn't have to be a prototypical #1 WR) and with a much improved O-line the offense will be a lot better. The WRs will shine if Darnold gets that extra couple seconds of protection despite not being the Jerry Jeudys, Cee-Dee Lambs of the NFL.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I fully think Fant is penciled in to start at LT. That doesn't mean the Jets won't draft an OT at 11 and have them compete for the RT spot. Edoga has not shown much IMO. And in the future, if the rookie turns out to be an absolute stud and Fant disappoints, JD is not committed financially to him. If both play well, thats a good thing. The critical thing here is protecting Sam. 

The Jets can add a dangerous WR weapon in Rd. 2 (doesn't have to be a prototypical #1 WR) and with a much improved O-line the offense will be a lot better. The WRs will shine if Darnold gets that extra couple seconds of protection despite not being the Jerry Jeudys, Cee-Dee Lambs of the NFL.  

I agree.  I think the same thing, theyll go with him as their starter and go for depth/eventual replacement lover in the draft, opening up the 11th for the much needed stud WR.  

If one of the top guys fall, could be a different story but I just cant wrap my head around the idea that we go for a guy with the 11th pick who duplicates a player at a position we thought enough of to give 3 for $30 when a player at a position of huge need is sitting there for the taking.  

Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs.  Any of those three, no matter how they eventually rank would be a huge help to Sam and the offense.  I just dont understand the idea of taking a backup OT, or making Fant a $10mil backup and then taking the lower rated WR.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its a 3 year old video.

Its a meaningless breakdown today

I wasn't able to find a current video breakdown of him, in part b/c he did not start until called upon due to injuries on the O-line. I.E he was a backup to Duane Brown. So, not even a starter. Just saying. I'm not hating on the guy. I hope he does well. But a lot of the same issues are there. Has he improved? For sure. He has. Some of the other forum members have posted highlights where he started vs. the Browns. He held his own but also R.Wilson did a terrific job of moving out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly. 

Bottom line is we are talking about a backup who has limited experience with upside. JD is banking on him realizing his potential but he is also not going all in, this is clear b/c of the way the contract is structured. It's essentially a prove it deal. 

Point of the thread is we cannot rely on either Fant or Edoga. And those are the only guys we currently have. So, considering how CRITICAL the position is, we need to draft an OT in Rd. 1. And I get it, the top 4 may be gone, JD may not like all of the top 4, he may like the 5th or 6th or 7th ranked OT, whatever. Doesn't matter. That guy will go in Rd. 1 and we need to get OUR guy. If we move down, we better not miss out on him. Josh Jones will not slide far. Neither will Niang. I think both will go in Rd. 1. And remember, the Jets have the 16th pick in Rd. 2. So they pick a little later. Thats a lot of spots for OTs to vaporize before our eyes on Day 2.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No they really didnt prove they could be anything, never mind decent.  

6 receptions for Berrios doesn't prove he can do anything other than STs

And 17 is hardly better for V Smith

Maybe down the road but to be counted on this season? No

All I'm saying is draft a wr after ot. Period.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I wasn't able to find a current video breakdown of him, in part b/c he did not start until called upon due to injuries on the O-line. I.E he was a backup to Duane Brown. So, not even a starter. Just saying. I'm not hating on the guy. I hope he does well. But a lot of the same issues are there. Has he improved? For sure. He has. Some of the other forum members have posted highlights where he started vs. the Browns. He held his own but also R.Wilson did a terrific job of moving out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly. 

Bottom line is we are talking about a backup who has limited experience with upside. JD is banking on him realizing his potential but he is also not going all in, this is clear b/c of the way the contract is structured. It's essentially a prove it deal. 

Point of the thread is we cannot rely on either Fant or Edoga. And those are the only guys we currently have. So, considering how CRITICAL the position is, we need to draft an OT in Rd. 1. And I get it, the top 4 may be gone, JD may not like all of the top 4, he may like the 5th or 6th or 7th ranked OT, whatever. Doesn't matter. That guy will go in Rd. 1 and we need to get OUR guy. If we move down, we better not miss out on him. Josh Jones will not slide far. Neither will Niang. I think both will go in Rd. 1. And remember, the Jets have the 16th pick in Rd. 2. So they pick a little later. Thats a lot of spots for OTs to vaporize before our eyes on Day 2.    

I was just thinking hes a raw developing OL today it stands to reason that hes very raw on this video.

I do agree we need to pick up a OT.  But the question is who does JD like, will they be there in the 1st or does he have someone in mind for he 2nd

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TNJet said:

All I'm saying is draft a wr after ot. Period.

Actually you said that Berrios and Smith proved they could be decent.  Therefore we dont need to go WR in the 1st.  Thats a different story than we need ether or.  We definitely need a WR because they haven't proven they can be a #4 WR, never mind keep us from drafting a WR anywhere in the draft 

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Serious question - What if Douglas likes Lucas Niang or Josh Jones better than someone like Andrew Thomas or Mekhi Becton?

Exactly. Who dubbed them the big 4 - kind of makes my stomach turn. Many teams will not have all of them in their top 4 because their scheme won't suit each one.

• Upvote 1

Why is it that either Fant or a rookie start at LT.  Who exactly are we etching in stone to start at RT?  Edoga?  If you are lucky enough to get Wills, for example, plug him in at RT for a year.  Or move Fant over since he's played both sides.  Edoga is depth.  

And as to the comparison to picking between blondes and bunettes, as long as JD isn't wearing the same beer goggles that Macc had on for years, we'll hopefully come away with a pretty girl regardless.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually you said that Berrios and Smith proved they could be decent.  Therefore we dont need to go WR in the 1st.  Thats a different story than we need ether or.  We definitely need a WR because they haven't proven they can be a #4 WR, never mind keep us from drafting a WR anywhere in the draft 

Yeah, in a previous post in the same thread I expressed how much more Sam needs time to throw to any receiver. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I hate these threads that insist there is only one path.

We need to improve the offense. That can be OL (my preference also) but giving Darnold an elite WR would help a ton. 

Right worked for Mayfield, just kidding we should get a WR just in the second round 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, adb280z said:

WR needs to be the pick at 11, Crowder, Perriman and Doctson may not be the guys.  Get a plug and play WR in this draft at all costs.  Get one in round 1.  Plenty of OTs to get one in rd 2 or 3.

There's far fewer quality OT's in Rd 2-3 than there will be WR's.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I think you're overthinking this whole idea of pigeonholing a player into a certain scheme. A player like Becton and Wirfs for example are players that are scheme diverse.

It's apparent the Jets want long and athletic types, so tell me how does Becton not fit that profile? He's long and athletic. Just because he's heavier should not preclude him from being what the Jets are looking for.

I don't disagree, but the idea that these 4 OTs are essentially interchangeable doesn't make sense to me.  We won't see the Jets Draft Board, but I still have a hard time believing that Douglas sees these 4 OTs as all perfect fits for what the Jets want to do specifically on offense.  It's like looking at Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Henry Ruggs, Tee Higgins and saying those guys are all kinda the same with each just a slight step down from the one before.  They're not.....they are totally different players from a size, speed, hands, route-running standpoint.

You might be absolutely right.  Becton could be right at the top of Joe D's list...I hope we get the chance to find out and that Becton is on the Board at #11, so the Jets have that choice!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't disagree, but the idea that these 4 OTs are essentially interchangeable doesn't make sense to me.  We won't see the Jets Draft Board, but I still have a hard time believing that Douglas sees these 4 OTs as all perfect fits for what the Jets want to do specifically on offense.  It's like looking at Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Henry Ruggs, Tee Higgins and saying those guys are all kinda the same with each just a slight step down from the one before.  They're not.....they are totally different players from a size, speed, hands, route-running standpoint.

You might be absolutely right.  Becton could be right at the top of Joe D's list...I hope we get the chance to find out and that Becton is on the Board at #11, so the Jets have that choice!

Based on nothing but my own uninformed intuition, i think the jets would take Becton or Wirfs over Thomas or wills.  Whether that’s the difference between taking Jeudy or ruggs over, say, wills, or trading back, we’ll see.  The jets may not think all these OTs are worthy of the 11th pick.  They may value josh jones at 18 more than Thomas at 11.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If you think Fant is a viable full time LT holy cow

If you think the other early draft picks are viable when most high draft picks flop or don’t develop until year 3 then holy cow. If they can find a B- or even C player now vs spending a high pick on a ? Why not?

Oline is hard to grade because it is so dependent on scheme and QB play.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm just finding it hard to believe that the plan has been to spend $30 mil on a player, $13 guaranteed.  Then draft another player at the same position, play the rookie OT and pass on a WR who could help at a position of need instead of one of the two new OTs sitting on the bench

This is true but I also dont think his contract is such that you're afraid to pick the OT and not play Fant, if it came to that.  That said, I think the more likely scenario would be pushing Fant or the rookie to RT.  And that rookie could be taken any round, more so just the overall point, I dont think that contract forces your hand. 

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Right worked for Mayfield, just kidding we should get a WR just in the second round 

We pick at 11. There is no guarantee the OL available at 11 will be guys worth taking at that spot. And trading down is only easy in mock draft threads. 

Some here make it seem like every player drafted in the first round is great or even good. Reaching for an OL at 11 (again assuming we don't love any at 11) is a big mistake when you have a WR, like Jeudy sitting there. 

I hope we end up taking an OL at 11, but only if Douglas thinks that players chances of being very good is high. 

Meanwhile, Mayfied may just suck. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I think the plan has been to improve the overall quality of the OL so that when you are up at 11, you don't HAVE to settle on  a player rather you can pivot to WR.

Spending 30 mill over 3 years on a player isn't really much of an investment in today's NFL when only 13 million is guaranteed. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If you think Fant is a viable full time LT holy cow

I tend to agree. I’m cool with us rolling the dice because there aren’t a lot of other options and I like the way his deal is structured; we can cut him after a year if it fails.

But for sure we need to get one of those top tackles. 

Fant + Chuma is far too big a risk. 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We pick at 11. There is no guarantee the OL available at 11 will be guys worth taking at that spot. And trading down is only easy in mock draft threads. 

Some here make it seem like every player drafted in the first round is great or even good. Reaching for an OL at 11 (again assuming we don't love any at 11) is a big mistake when you have a WR, like Jeudy sitting there. 

I hope we end up taking an OL at 11, but only if Douglas thinks that players chances of being very good is high. 

we all want to fix the OL.  but how many here think that taking a tackle who is, say, the 15th best player on their board is a wiser move than taking a wr who is ranked 5 or 6?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, adb280z said:

WR needs to be the pick at 11, Crowder, Perriman and Doctson may not be the guys.  Get a plug and play WR in this draft at all costs.  Get one in round 1.  Plenty of OTs to get one in rd 2 or 3.

You can get a plug and play WR in the 2nd, even 3rd, round with this class.  The OT drop off is much steeper.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

THE ORDER OF PRIORITY IS: 

OFFENSIVE LINE,  CORNERBACK , EDGE/ RUSH LB,  WIDE RECEIVER!!!!

Its not even debatable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a damn fool!!

If you don't believe me, just take a look at Cleveland!! Now there's a perfect example of how you DON'T DO IT! The Browns loaded up with weapons and somehow they're drafting before we are!?

OBJ CANT help your team when you have NO f****** O-LINE!  NO PASS RUSH and NO CORNERBACKS!!°°°°

DUH!!!!

You can butt fumble me all you want miscreants!! You are only proving that you don't know sh*t from SHINOLA

When it comes to being a GM and building a football team, the premier positions are  QB, OT, EDGE, CB.

You don't draft a wide receiver with your first round pick when these positions are not solidified. Ever! LOL C'mon Man!!

Even more so when the wide receiver depth in this draft class is the deepest it's been in 20 years! There's about twenty five guys in the first three rounds that can start at wide receiver!

I guess you want to see Sam Darnold and whatever 5'10 ,185lb wide receiver you're clamoring for with the 11th pick  ,GET THE LIVING PISS KNOCKED OUT OF THEM ALL YEAR LONG!!?? 

It's a good thing you bunch of deep thinkers are not in charge LOL!

Just ask Megatron and Larry Fitzgerald how that plan worked out for them.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is true but I also dont think his contract is such that you're afraid to pick the OT and not play Fant, if it came to that.  That said, I think the more likely scenario would be pushing Fant or the rookie to RT.  And that rookie could be taken any round, more so just the overall point, I dont think that contract forces your hand. 

I agree, im just thinking more along the lines of what's better for Sam and the offense.  Two LTs no matter who starts, one a $10 mil bench warmer or the other a 11th overall pick sitting on the bench or Fant and a stud WR?

30 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think the plan has been to improve the overall quality of the OL so that when you are up at 11, you don't HAVE to settle on  a player rather you can pivot to WR.

Spending 30 mill over 3 years on a player isn't really much of an investment in today's NFL when only 13 million is guaranteed. 

I've been saying the same and I'd bet JD thinks hes in position now where he doesnt have to go OL no matter what.  

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

OL top 4 verse top 8, probably same chance of hitting. I'm completely  fine with taking the next OL up. But I'm good with WR too. But def OL withsl second  pick

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I want the BoPA (Best offensive Player Available) at #11.  That could be an OT....it could be a WR.  But I do NOT want to reach for either in that spot and simply take the sloppy seconds at a position that's already been drafted 3 or 4 times ahead of us.

Send the me the hottest brunette at the party.....while you guys fight over the 4th prettiest blonde. lol

It seems that one of Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs should be available at 11 (if not all three)  If that is the case, most likely the best available offensive player will be a wide receiver.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The interesting thing is if you read enough rankings of top players regardless of position, Jeudy/lamb are ahead of most of the tackles, and ruggs is right there with those tackles.  Going bpa strictly at 11 would mean taking Jeudy above all these guys.

Exactly. Some folks are setting themselves up to very disappointed come draft day.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Wide receiver only if all 4 tackles have been taken. This draft is loaded at Receiver, so if we take a tackle at 11, lots of options available in round #2.

NFL importance:-

QB.

LT.

Edge.

Corner.

Receiver.

The rest.

Again, that's only assuming the Jets like all 4. What if they LOVE 3 of them but hate the 4th? Do we take that player simply because mel kiper and random pundits have proclaimed the 4th guy good? Injury issues, off field issues, scheme issues can make this more complicated than most here understand.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Based on nothing but my own uninformed intuition, i think the jets would take Becton or Wirfs over Thomas or wills.  Whether that’s the difference between taking Jeudy or ruggs over, say, wills, or trading back, we’ll see.  The jets may not think all these OTs are worthy of the 11th pick.  They may value josh jones at 18 more than Thomas at 11.

Exactly.  We don't know, but the idea that the mainstream sports blogs, ESPN, "expert mocks" all have these 4 guys lumped together seems like a bit of "group think" to me.  Remember last year and the consensus top pass rushers.  Nobody had Clelin Ferrell going 4th in that Draft....except the Raiders who owned the pick.  It seemed to be based on fit despite most people thinking Josh Allen was a better prospect.