Steelers GM proposes every team should have 3 extra draft picks

The Daily News' Manish Mehta reports Steelers GM Kevin Colbert proposed that teams should be awarded three extra draft picks to offset any coronavirus restrictions.

Shoot your shot. The league's lack of available private workouts and visits to team facilities have obviously thrown some organizations for a loop, forcing much displeasure behind closed doors. While Colbert's suggestion that a 10-round draft would widen any margin for error isn't exactly false, it emphasizes some front office's prehistoric thought processes and pre-draft preparation when forced to evaluate outside the box. April's draft — a "fully virtual" experience — will undoubtedly result in multiple late-round and undrafted players being impacted by the entire process.

• Upvote 1

Please... these teams have scouting departments, no? Let them earn their money.

What have they been doing all year? Seven rounds are plenty, having more would hurt the guys who go undrafted more than it would help them.

For example, if you were an UDFA wr,  or Er wouldn’t you rather sign with a team like the Jets instead of being a 8th round pick by a team that was loaded at your position?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

What have they been doing all year? Seven rounds are plenty, having more would hurt the guys who go undrafted more than it would help them.

For example, if you were an UDFA wr,  or Er wouldn’t you rather sign with a team like the Jets instead of being a 8th round pick by a team that was loaded at your position?

Well that is good for the player but not the teams.  Each year teams sign maybe 10 UDFA's after the draft, thus talent is still out there and is still needed.  Why not extend the draft.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I may be wrong but I think if you're drafted you would get more guaranteed money then if you're an UDFA. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, KRL said:

Makes sense, with no workouts a lot of players could slip through the cracks.

So you know it won't happen, since it makes sense

Yes, if the NFL opened the last few rounds up for bidding to run it...Networks would fork over top dollar.  With no live sports this will be a major event.  

• Upvote 1

Worth a shot I suppose. 

I think the one silver lining of this entire COVID sh*t show is that the draft will essentially be forced to be the nerdy, niche event that it was in the past. The one we all loved and wasted an entire weekend watching. They can't do the glitz/glam, so they'll be forced to talk about the selections. Can't wait!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Daily News' Manish Mehta reports Steelers GM Kevin Colbert proposed that teams should be awarded three extra draft picks to offset any coronavirus restrictions.

Shoot your shot. The league's lack of available private workouts and visits to team facilities have obviously thrown some organizations for a loop, forcing much displeasure behind closed doors. While Colbert's suggestion that a 10-round draft would widen any margin for error isn't exactly false, it emphasizes some front office's prehistoric thought processes and pre-draft preparation when forced to evaluate outside the box. April's draft — a "fully virtual" experience — will undoubtedly result in multiple late-round and undrafted players being impacted by the entire process.

The nfl was 12 rounds about 20 years ago.  They fought to shorten it, now they want it longer.

• Upvote 1

What don't they know about a late round prospect after watching film, recorded workouts, Combine performances, etc. that they'd learn if they saw "just one more workout" of a guy?

I would fully support this if the coronavirus situation happened earlier and prevented the NFL from holding its Combine in February.  THAT, particularly the medicals, measurements and interviews, would have really clouded the evaluation process.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

What else would they show?  Live Russian soccer?  Ping pong?

As far as I'm concerned extend the draft for as long as they want.

Curling.  A good Curling match might attract like 7 people.  Plenty of space to sit at least six ft apart 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I may be wrong but I think if you're drafted you would get more guaranteed money then if you're an UDFA. 

The most sought after UDFAs get more than the guys at the end of the 7th round. And with all of those contracts being slotted, I’m not sure how you would add more rounds without having everyone picked after, “Mr. Irrelevant,” getting the same deal as him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Well that is good for the player but not the teams.  Each year teams sign maybe 10 UDFA's after the draft, thus talent is still out there and is still needed.  Why not extend the draft.

Because I support the players, not management when it comes to this. The players we are talking about will most likely not make a team's final roster, they aren't top prospects. I think they would be better off negotiating with the team they think gives them the best chance to stick. 

The ****in nerve of some people 

Ruanaidh, the Steelers had rated him as one of the top collegiate receivers as early as 1973. When Chuck Noll first learned of Stallworth, he immediately pronounced him as first round pick and feared that Pittsburgh wouldn’t get a chance to pick Stallworth when the word got out on him.

• By both happenstance and design, the word on John Stallworth never got out

In his self titled autobiography, Steelers Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney recounts how a team of BLESTO scouts had the ill fortune to time John Stallworth on a wet track. Ever wise, Steelers scout Bill Nunn feigned illness and stayed an extra day in Alabama, ran Stallworth on a dry track, and he got the time he wanted.

Nunn, who had extensive connections with the HBC community, coaxed Alabama A&M into sending films of Stallworth to the Steelers. This was long before the days of Mel Kipper and the cottage industry that today envelops the NFL draft.

A single tape on John Stallworth existed, and it was so impressive that Bill Nunnconveniently “forgot” to return it, giving Pittsburgh an effective a monopoly on information about Stallworth. (Art Rooney, Jr. insists that he instructed Bill Nunn and Dick Haley return the tapes, but he’s also clear that he wasn’t overly upset that they didn’t.)

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Because I support the players, not management when it comes to this. The players we are talking about will most likely not make a team's final roster, they aren't top prospects. I think they would be better off negotiating with the team they think gives them the best chance to stick. 

Your salary is guaranteed at a higher level if you are drafted i believe. 

No thank you.

Dan Marino vs Jets: 17-13 (.566%). 5 AFC East Division Championships. 

Dan-Marino.jpg.49bedf81d98e899a35d1581717773135.jpg

Jim Kelly vs Jets: 15-6 (.714%). 6 AFC East Division Championships. 

2118941592_JKelly.thumb.jpg.377825e1034190cee7b34df88d40f858.jpg

Tom Brady vs. Jets: 29-7 (.805%). 17 AFC East Division Championships. 

TB12.thumb.jpg.7c660a610ecda4094fe782c25fbd0bc6.jpg

I rather Miami, Buffalo and New England not have another 3 draft selections - meaning extra chances of landing another Tom Brady, Jim Kelly or Dan Marino (just our luck). 

Dan Marino: 1983-1999 (Miami). 

Jim Kelly: 1986-1996 (Bills). 

Tom Brady: 2000-2019 (N.E).

N.Y Jets: 266-327 (.448%)

Career losing record of 26-61 (.298%) vs. Dan Marino / Jim Kelly / Tom Brady All-Time

(28 AFC East Championships combined between the 3).

We've been humiliated by the hands of 3 legendary NFL Quarterbacks and for pretty much 37 consecutive years too. 

However as of right now, I believe that it's finally our New York Jets who have the best Franchise QB within it's AFC East Division. 

3 extra draft picks? Well, what ever happened to our 3 extra draft picks throughout the course of 36-37 consecutive NFL drafts as we searched for our next Broadway Joe? 

No thank you. 

• WTF? 3

9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No thank you.

Dan Marino vs Jets: 17-13 (.566%). 5 AFC East Division Championships. 

Dan-Marino.jpg.49bedf81d98e899a35d1581717773135.jpg

Jim Kelly vs Jets: 15-6 (.714%). 6 AFC East Division Championships. 

2118941592_JKelly.thumb.jpg.377825e1034190cee7b34df88d40f858.jpg

Tom Brady vs. Jets: 29-7 (.805%). 17 AFC East Division Championships. 

TB12.thumb.jpg.7c660a610ecda4094fe782c25fbd0bc6.jpg

I rather Miami, Buffalo and New England not have another 3 draft selections - meaning extra chances of landing another Tom Brady, Jim Kelly or Dan Marino (just our luck). 

Dan Marino: 1983-1999 (Miami). 

Jim Kelly: 1986-1996 (Bills). 

Tom Brady: 2000-2019 (N.E).

N.Y Jets: 266-327 (.448%)

Career losing record of 26-61 (.298%) vs. Dan Marino / Jim Kelly / Tom Brady All-Time

(28 AFC East Championships combined between the 3).

We've been humiliated by the hands of 3 legendary NFL Quarterbacks and for pretty much 37 consecutive years too. 

However as of right now, I believe that it's finally our New York Jets who have the best Franchise QB within it's AFC East Division. 

3 extra draft picks? Well, what ever happened to our 3 extra draft picks throughout the course of 36-37 consecutive NFL drafts as we searched for our next Broadway Joe? 

No thank you. 

Do you think the NFL is going to be handing out extra first round picks? Your post makes no sense since they would only be adding extra rounds at the end, which is something I've been in favor of forever.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Your salary is guaranteed at a higher level if you are drafted i believe. 

Except you don't know what salaries would be allocated to those extra 3 rounds. My guess, it would be no better than a UDFA contract.

4 hours ago, RobR said:

Do you think the NFL is going to be handing out extra first round picks? Your post makes no sense since they would only be adding extra rounds at the end, which is something I've been in favor of forever.

Your response made no sense to my reply; as Tom Brady was drafted during the SIXTH ROUND (6th). No. Not the 1st round; but the 6th round. 

The players aren't going to magically become more talented.  Give them the opportunity to sign with a team that logically they have the best chance in making depth chart.  My guess is if they try this, BB will find a way to get everybody's extra picks.

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Absolutely agree that there needs to be a way of managing the restricted travel, workouts and health checks.  Not sure that adding rounds 8-10 would actually accomplish that.