Jameis Winston to Saints, one year deal

Report: Saints, Jameis Winston negotiating one-year deal

Michael David Smith

Jameis Winston is preparing to accept a job where he’ll have no chance of starting.

Winston is finalizing a one-year contract with the Saints, according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.

In New Orleans, Winston would compete with Taysom Hill to back up Drew Brees. Last year’s backup, Teddy Bridgewater, has moved on to Carolina, and Winston would have a good chance of earning the No. 2 job, which the Saints seem hesitant to hand to Hill because of his role as a runner, receiver and special teams player.

The Saints don’t have much cap space available, so Winston is presumably not going to be making much money this season. But Winston may see New Orleans as a place where he can learn from Sean Payton and a good offensive coaching staff, and position himself to get a big contract next year — just as Bridgewater parlayed his time in New Orleans into a big contract this year.

A former No. 1 overall pick who was once viewed as the Buccaneers’ franchise quarterback of the future, Winston led the NFL in interceptions last season and will now try to learn the finer points of the quarterback position while backing up a future Hall of Famer.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Great spot for Winston to land. Loaded team, great offensive coach and system, and a QB who's about to retire. They also just helped Bridgewater reestablish himself.

I'm still of the opinion that if Bruce Arians can't make you good nobody can, but Sean Payton will have a chance.

Lol, just about everything I was gonna say. 

Kid needs to humble himself a bit, and playing for an established franchise behind a certain HoF'er can be nothing but good for him. There's no recklessness in the Saints offense. He should learn some good habits there. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting choice by Winston.  He'll have a chance to be the long
term answer after Brees IF he can make better QB decisions.  But 
there's no way in the world Payton is going to put up with 25+
INTS

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was never a viable backup no matter what he said or thought.

Agreed.  But he was the only one who didn't realize that until now.  

What I find interesting about this is there are a few teams that should be looking hard at Winston and Newton and now one of those guys is locked up.  NE certainly should be sniffing around. 

I also think, and this is pure conjecture on my part, that DAL should have been looking as well.  Why sign Dak for $35MM/year with a huge guarantee, when you could have gotten Winston or Cam on a 2-year deal for quite a bit less.  If you think Dak was the beneficiary of an awesome situation and that any number of QBs could have had similar success there, here is your chance to prove it.  Sign Newton for whatever deal Winston signs for and let Dak walk if he won't sign a reasonable deal.  Honestly, where else is he going to get even $30MM/year now?  Well probably NE LOL but honestly, he doesn't scare me.  I think he's a good QB in a great situation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Il Mostro said:

Outstanding decision by both parties.  Gives Jameis a chance to take a breath and re-set, and the Saints get a viable potential successor to Brees.  Could not ask for a better fit. 

Not just that, but the Saints are still 'all-in' and Winston gives them a chance to win games (a la Teddy Bridgewater) if Brees gets hurt for a stretch.  Honestly, if the NFL would stop mis-calling PIs in their games, they might have a chance.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Agreed.  But he was the only one who didn't realize that until now.  

What I find interesting about this is there are a few teams that should be looking hard at Winston and Newton and now one of those guys is locked up.  NE certainly should be sniffing around. 

I also think, and this is pure conjecture on my part, that DAL should have been looking as well.  Why sign Dak for $35MM/year with a huge guarantee, when you could have gotten Winston or Cam on a 2-year deal for quite a bit less.  If you think Dak was the beneficiary of an awesome situation and that any number of QBs could have had similar success there, here is your chance to prove it.  Sign Newton for whatever deal Winston signs for and let Dak walk if he won't sign a reasonable deal.  Honestly, where else is he going to get even $30MM/year now?  Well probably NE LOL but honestly, he doesn't scare me.  I think he's a good QB in a great situation.

All things considered, especially the dollars that Prescott wants, I’d take Winston every day of the week over him, because I think he’s just better, still young, and if he can become more disciplined in not throwing picks there isn’t much of an argument.

I think if you were to put Prescott on the SAME Jet teams that Darnold has been inflicted with his first 2 years....Prescott is just hoping and praying he sees a 2nd contract....forget $40Mill a year.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Outstanding decision by both parties.  Gives Jameis a chance to take a breath and re-set, and the Saints get a viable potential successor to Brees.  Could not ask for a better fit. 

Home cooking too.  Could be a great thing or a negative.  He grew up probably less than an hour away from New Orleans in Alabama.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Interesting choice by Winston.  He'll have a chance to be the long
term answer after Brees IF he can make better QB decisions.  But 
there's no way in the world Payton is going to put up with 25+
INTS

Brees might be done already.  His arm looked dead last year and that was with him playing in just 60% of the games

Great spot for Winston to land. Loaded team, great offensive coach and system, and a QB who's about to retire. They also just helped Bridgewater reestablish himself.

I'm still of the opinion that if Bruce Arians can't make you good nobody can, but Sean Payton will have a chance.

I was of that opinion too until I couldnt think of anyone Bruce Ariens ever made good.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Now , that's a back-up . better than Captain Morgan .

Not even two days and already a negative fan reaction.  I am sure that's not even a Jets fan record.  But it's definitively noteworthy.  Since Mr. Bowling Green hasn't even played a down.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Over 5000 yards passing - leading the league in passing yards, 2nd in passing touchdowns and he can't even get a starting job the next season? I know he led the league in INT's too but geez. Is this guy just a complete turd of a person or something? I don't get it.

There's leading the league in INTs, then there's throwing 30 INT when there's never been an easier time in the NFL to throw the football successfully.

The guy stinks and will be out of the league in 3 years.

16 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

There's leading the league in INTs, then there's throwing 30 INT when there's never been an easier time in the NFL to throw the football successfully.

The guy stinks and will be out of the league in 3 years.

Kind of like a third baseman who can't field and strikes out around 150 times a year. 

"But 25 home runs a year.  How can this guy not have a job?"

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Over 5000 yards passing - leading the league in passing yards, 2nd in passing touchdowns and he can't even get a starting job the next season? I know he led the league in INT's too but geez. Is this guy just a complete turd of a person or something? I don't get it.

he routinely throws really bad decision INTs.  schizoid type performer. 

threw tons last year over 600 attempts. started out the year 2-6 after ging 3-6 the year previous...   w/ Mike Evans...

makes teams wary. thats my speculation.

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he routinely throws really bad decision INTs.  schizoid type performer. 

threw tons last year over 600 attempts. started out the year 2-6 after ging 3-6 the year previous...   w/ Mike Evans...

makes teams wary. thats my speculation.

And yet he’ll be starting for the saints at some point next season once Brees gets injured again

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

whats with the naked dude in your avatar? kinda odd