Is JD Living in the Present?

Maybe. The NFL now is based on two simple factors: an-time offense and a great pass rush.

The only way you're defeating the AFC's best is with a 33ppg offense and an exemplary pass rush.

So I am unhappy JD drafting Davis 3rd, Morgan 4th.

Instead load up on offense and pass rushers on defense.

• Thumb Down 14
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

In real-time wasn't a fan of Davis or Morgan picks either.

I loved!!! everything else from the get-go.

---

after Beckton & then the Mims rollercoaster ride, I was ready to jump up and down yelling like a madman if we'd picked any WR or OL with that 3rd pick.  I was ready to be cool with any CB or OLB ... when I saw S my heart pulled a crash & burn.  ...  I can get onboard after hearing everything about him & positioning us for the future at the position etc ... but it was a punch to the gut when it happened.

Morgan is also a "best thing moving forward" pick rather than a "best thing now" ... I understand both ... and loved everything else so much, I'm cool  ... but if either of these guys had been a second WR this would have been my "oh $h*t my alarm clock's about to ring" dream draft 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Maybe. The NFL now is based on two simple factors: an-time offense and a great pass rush.

The only way you're defeating the AFC's best is with a 33ppg offense and an exemplary pass rush.

I'm liking the Davis (S) pick a lot more now than I did originally. With him and Maye, two guys with a nose for the ball, floating around high and Jamal playing closer to the line with Zuniga rushing along side of Mosely and Williamson, I can see this D being fierce. Especially if big Q takes a step forward along with Phiilips and Shepherd. This is essentially a young D with a high level of athleticism. That's not a bad thing. And Davis adds to that without question. 

Morgan? I'm with ya man. While I get the idea, I still don't like it and I don't really like the player all that much.  So many of "my" guys were sitting there staring us in the face. Gandy Golden, Gabriel Davis, Biadasz, Driscoll... Heck, even Charlie Heck was taken one pick later. :) 

but I can't let it taint a draft where we nabbed Becton, Mims, Zuniga, Hall and Perine. And grabbed Lamar Jackson as an UDFA.  Such a solid group. Morgan or no Morgan! 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

The NFL is a tricky thing.....

in the regular season having a good offense takes you a long way...but..and it’s a big but..in the playoffs team are all of sudden allowed to play defense (hence our two AFC championship games)

They let the games go..

So a good GM should absolutely be focused on offense (that’s what gets you in the tournament) but you damn better have a good enough defense if you want to win that tournament (the Super Bowl(

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Youre right, there's no room for defense and depth in todays NFL. ?

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Those seem to be the 2 picks that everyone has the most issue with, I can see why. Are you also unhappy about the rest of the draft? 

No I’m not. I’m cautiously happy with the Becton and Mims picks. And Zuniga. 

The bottom line is the Jets offense and pass rush aren’t scaring anyone. The NFL requires both of those units to be feared. I want JD to create it. He’s taken some steps but I have my concerns. 

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm liking the Davis (S) pick a lot more now than I did originally. With him and Maye, two guys with a nose for the ball, floating around high and Jamal playing closer to the line with Zuniga rushing along side of Mosely and Williamson, I can see this D being fierce. Especially if big Q takes a step forward along with Phiilips and Shepherd. This is essentially a young D with a high level of athleticism. That's not a bad thing. And Davis adds to that without question. 

Morgan? I'm with ya man. While I get the idea, I still don't like it and I don't really like the player all that much.  So many of "my" guys were sitting there staring us in the face. Gandy Golden, Gabriel Davis, Biadasz, Driscoll... Heck, even Charlie Heck was taken one pick later. :) 

but I can't let it taint a draft where we nabbed Becton, Mims, Zuniga, Hall and Perine. And grabbed Lamar Jackson as an UDFA.  Such a solid group. Morgan or no Morgan! 

The initial “not another safety!” feeling seems to be going away, when you do a deeper dive the pick makes sense in a few different ways. I don’t mind the jets picking up a Morgan or Fromm, I would’ve just liked it a bunch more if it happened in round 5/6.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

JD has his plan...and he carried it out to near perfection.  It was not designed to please us fans.  It was to make the Jets as competitive as possible...with as many players he could get his hands on. 

He read and played this draft as I thought he would.  Trading down for extra picks to restock this team with players that were a balance between BPA and positional need.   

He passed up my man Mims at #48.  I'm mumbling "WTF was that!?!".   He passed on a Tall athletic speedy wideout that Jets sorely needed for another 3rd round pick.   That was his plan.  Then Mims...comes to him at #59.  Like some card counting professional gambler at blackjack...playing the percentages...knowing he could take that hit at 16...and ends up with a 5...for 21!   Only a legit GM could feel that kind confidence...that he had a good shot of coming away with Mims...11 picks later. 

That cinched  it for me...JD had a plan.   He was prepared to deal with the variable draft situations that may arise.  Then make his moves with a pick or a trade.   Ended up with drafting 9 players and exchanging a 6th pick for a for a young veteran CB that still had promise.  10 players altogether  he came away with from this draft.  

It was a draft that made you think.  At least it did for me. And more I looked at what he did.  The more sense it made to me.  In one FA-Draft-UDFA process...JD covered almost every facet of this team.  Establishing a foundation that he can continue building on in the next succeeding years.  With his guys.  Based on his vision...of what this team should be. 

Just like you can feel real good about a player Jets pick.  I feel that way about this NYJ GM.  This is the last dance for me.  JD...the last one I'll put my trust in.

I was telling everyone this before the Draft, this guy looks like Einstein compared to the stooges we had at GM previously.

Through F.A and the Draft, he’s filled a lot of holes, much more than I thought was possible in one off season. Spending his formative years working for Ozzie Newsome is clearly paying off. I think we hit lucky and got a good one for a change, about time.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Davis looks phenomenal and Jabari has some absolutely fierce footage to look at.    I'm pretty confident JD has a good idea of what he's doing.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre right, there's no room for defense and depth in todays NFL. ?

Lol, even though the Pats vs Eagles Super Bowl was high scoring, it was a DEFENDER that knocked the ball out of Brady’s hand to win the game. 
your right, DEFENSE STILL MATTERS! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JetsLife said:

If Davis is what the scouting report says he can be then he basically can help wreck a game like a pass rusher.  Also the Florida kid also has some serious athleticism and same if he is closer to the ceiling then floor we have our pass rusher.

You are right it’s not time to celebrate rookies and count on them to fill these roles and fill them as good to great players, it’s to hard to know, or predict.

But also maybe they do come out the gates making plays, being difference makers?

Point is now isn’t the time to get on the soap box, and declare certainties, or outrage over the roster that’s not even finished yet, and has some serious young talent.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Well that is one way of seeing it but maybe center field players like Davis can help hold O's like KC and Baltimore where the point total can be maybe under that. The big thing going forward should be "how do I hold an O to 24-25 points so we don't have to score over 30 points to win the game?". Expecting to build O's that consistently average over 30 points scoring a game is extremely difficult as you see only a few teams a year that can do that, which requires an all world QB along with 4-5 all world skill position players at WR, TE, RB, etc. Never easy to build that.

9 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He’s a trail blazer. Not a follower. When they zig, we zag. Great teams create their own formula for winning. It’s a copy cat league, but the copy cats don’t succeed long term because they don’t understand what it took to devise, create and build what they are copying. You want to be the team being copied. That’s what JD is doing. He is fulfilling his vision (not someone else’s) of what makes a great football team.

Very well said! 
As we all know “Rome wasn’t built in a day” and our Championship run will not be built in one draft. I concur, JD is the guy at the helm creating his vision. Am I afraid the Johnson brothers may hinder that vision? Yes.. who isn’t? 
But all in all I trust that JD is the right man for the job, and will continue to put this Franchise in the right positions to be successful. 
We can sit and argue about what we should’ve could’ve would’ve done during the draft but what’s done is done, we have who we have and I am always a firm believer of the “Jimmy’s and Joes” over the “X’s and O’s” we put the right players on the field and in this “Copy cat league” the exciting 40 points a game rah rah speed kills offenses will soon be figured out. Lucky for us we have one of the best Defensive minds in the game. 

I know hopes are high but I feel confident in what JD and hell gotta give Gase credit as well, I feel confident in both of them moving forward... 

With all that said, I’ll go on JD’s “1 year prove it deals” with Gase! Lol 

• Upvote 1

The safety pick allows our D coordinator another swiss army knife player so that Jamal Adams can be all over the field. The Jets are eventually going to pay JA and when they do they need to keep putting him in position to be a Pro Bowl player. Davis also will be IMO used as a kick returner and hopefully give the Jets a Brad Smith type on special teams. Picking the QB was a gamble but if Sam gets hurt it's always good to have someone to keep the ship afloat until he gets back. Whether Morgan can do that is yet to be seen but theoretically it was the right move, again IMO. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Lol, even though the Pats vs Eagles Super Bowl was high scoring, it was a DEFENDER that knocked the ball out of Brady’s hand to win the game. 
your right, DEFENSE STILL MATTERS! 

Hey, I get that offense is king.  I get Macc ignored it for so long we needed to have an offseason where most of the emphasis needed to be on the offense.  I felt that way too going into the offseason

But if youre sitting at your draft spot and there's a player that you love, that you feel dropped and is a position of need, that your DC will appreciate and utilize to the teams advantage, you jump on it.

• Upvote 1

Experts and fans in general seem to rave about the Jets draft, so why are we then projected to land at the bottom 8 this season? I know we have a tougher schedule with long road trips, but there is no Brady in our division, Patriots, for the first time appear beatable. Tua might not be ready to play for the Fins, Buffalo has a strong team but erratic at the Qb spot. True,we have a lot of new pieces that need to be molded together but still- why such a low ranking? The Gase factor??

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, vic said:

Experts and fans in general seem to rave about the Jets draft, so why are we then projected to land at the bottom 8 this season? I know we have a tougher schedule with long road trips, but there is no Brady in our division, Patriots, for the first time appear beatable. Tua might not be ready to play for the Fins, Buffalo has a strong team but erratic at the Qb spot. True,we have a lot of new pieces that need to be molded together but still- why such a low ranking? The Gase factor??

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

The last 10 years of front office incompetence factor.

I'm envisioning a 4-2-5 defense with Jamal playing a weak side linebacker/safety hybrid.  Then when the offense goes wide they can insert Pool for the 4-1-6.

All three safeties can cover and tackle so the flexibility to disguise and blitz Adams might be very exciting. 

Basically Jamal's flexibility to play the box will allow the Jets to be fast.  

I will say that I wouldn't have drafted the safety or the quarterback, but hopefully they know more than me.

• Upvote 3