Chiefs WR Watkins on pay cut: 'How much money do I need?'

@Jamal Adams

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-wr-watkins-on-pay-cut-how-much-money-do-i-need

Chiefs WR Watkins on pay cut: 'How much money do I need?'

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Sammy Watkins took a pay cut to stay in Kansas City in 2020 and make another run at a Super Bowl.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Watkins said that he prioritized sticking with a winner over chasing more money if he'd have been released by the Chiefs.

"I'm at the stage of my life now to where, at first I was like 'Man, I want to get paid big money again," Watkins said. "But then I realized, how much money do I need? My family's taken care of well. Do I want I go to a team and lose, and get 1,000 yards or go to a team that's sorry, whatever the case may be. Or do I want to come back with one of the best coaches, the best quarterbacks, the best organizations, the best team, the best wideout group -- arguably -- and come try to fight for another championship?

"I sat my agent down, and we was trying to shoot for these big (contract) numbers. And I'm like, 'Man, let's just take heed of winning. I've been on a winning team within three years. I know how it felt to win. Shoot, I'd rather win another championship than go get another whatever type of crazy extension or crazy contract."

Watkins earned 673 yards on 52 receptions with three TDs in 14 regular-season games. The middling regular season gave way to a big playoff run in which Watkins earned 288 yards on 14 catches with a score in three postseason tilts. He went 5 for 98 in the Super Bowl, with a huge catch to help spur the comeback against San Francisco.

A first-round pick, Watkins has earned $52.5 million in six years in the NFL, per Over The Cap, making it more palatable to prioritize where he plays over how much he plays for in one season. Set to earn $9 million in 2020 with incentives that could push it to $16 million is nothing to sneeze at either.

Watkins clearly loves playing for Andy Reid and is comfortable in K.C. Those are bigger factors than money to him at this point in his career.

The wideout's comments mesh with those from Patrick Mahomes after signing his new 10-year extension. Mahomes could have pushed for more money by trying to get to free agency or doing a shorter deal. But the MVP cited his desire to play for the Chiefs organization he trusts to continue to build a winner as the reason for leaving money at the bargaining table.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Imagine how nice it would be to root for a team like the Chiefs?

What is it about men and the teams we root for?

We can change jobs, houses, even our women, and it’s not a problem. But we stick with the same sports teams for all our lives.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

This is better than getting cut. He probably had the worst WR contract in football and this still gives him a shot at getting his original 16 mil with pretty achievable incentives. He's still being overpaid for his production but this was easier for both side. He's been paid as a top 10 WR and will still be right there if he hits incentives. He hasn't had more than 700 yards in a season since buffalo in 2015.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

We can change jobs, houses, even our women, and it’s not a problem. But we stick with the same sports teams for all our lives.

it's a vestigial loyalty/tribalism thing....

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Much respect though he’s probably just saying that because he had zero offers elsewhere 

It's also easier to play for wins when you have 100 million in the bank.

and,  you know, a lack of other big offers.

• Haha 1

This dude has made a small fortune on a bum foot for years. No one even pays attention to him with all of the weapons KC has. 
Watkins catches are like 7 on 7 with no defender on the screen for 2 Mississippi’s. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Speaking of annual reviews, I'm about two weeks late for mine.  What's the appropriate time before you start to complain?

Can't fire you for performance if they don't give you a performance review.

smart lanny poffo GIF

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Ive always thought it had something to do with a past life and some sort of work we needed to do here.  That helps a little 

8 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

It’s a mystery. Sucks. 

15 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

So true, how did you become a giants fan?

• Haha 1