Joey Bosa Megadeal

SR24

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Disagree.  They're worth every penny.

Which why I hated taking Quinnen when there were Edge rushers on the board. Like Jamal he essentially needed to be one of the top 2 or 3 players at his position in order to be worth the pick. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Man that's a wild deal. I was all for getting Yannick but if that is the type of contract we are looking at I think it's a hard pass for me. If the cap is dipping to $175m next year I don't understand how some of these deals are getting done.

He’s not as good as Bosa. 5/100 would probably get it done, that’s what Frank Clark got

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

AhhHAHAHAHA!!!

Jamal will continue to play on his rookie deal ...with no promises!!?

YO! 

YO...Jamal!!??

Bosa  just "got paid"

marsha.gif

hawks had a bottom half of league d with clowney...  insert adams....       profit

Spanos needs to start winning if he's ever going to build a fan base in LA.  Probably figures Bosa is a good first signing of a bunch of guys up for contracts in '21.  And that defense could be really good with everybody healthy.  The big question is if Herbert turns into franchise QB.  I don't think I've met a single Ducks fan who'd be willing to put money down on him.  Not too promising.  But who knows?  

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Man that's a wild deal. I was all for getting Yannick but if that is the type of contract we are looking at I think it's a hard pass for me. If the cap is dipping to $175m next year I don't understand how some of these deals are getting done.

Per Over The Cap, the Chargers have only 121M committed for 2021. Even if you assumed that the contract was structured with a 27M cap hit next year (and given the cap uncertainty there's no way it would be that high) that would take them only to 148M and leave them with 27M in space. Now factor in that his cap hit for 21 is probably half that, and that they'll also have rollover space, and they'll be fine. 

Moving on from rivers will do that. 

• Upvote 2

Belichick proved OVER & OVER again if you want to win Super Bowls you can’t pay 1 guy that’s not a great QB that kind of coin! 
What’s was the Chargers record last year? 
There are so many things offenses can do to thwart a great pass rusher. 
How did Macks presence affect the Bears overall record? 
This is a “WE HAVE A STAR” moment for the Chargers who literally have no fan base. 
Players expect great QBs to be payed, but these types of contracts seep into the top players at other positions & create jealousy. Keenan Allen? What’s he thinking right now? That guy has played hurt, given his all. 
FACT. Paying a non QB position an astronomical amount of money is never a good idea long term. 
This is a team game, always has been. And as much as people (GMs) talk about the Patriot way (yes, they were lucky drafting Brady) but it’s the way Belichick always traded guys that start squawking that KEPT them successful. 
It started with Lawyer Milloy and continued from there. 
Joe Douglas trading Adams was a BB move. The Jets will have a much higher chance of success with an overall better roster than paying Jamal Adams 20 million per. 
Chargers will NEVER sniff a SUPER BOWL during Joey Bosas tenure, BOOK IT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

47 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Belichick proved OVER & OVER again if you want to win Super Bowls you can’t pay 1 guy that’s not a great QB that kind of coin! 
What’s was the Chargers record last year? 
There are so many things offenses can do to thwart a great pass rusher. 
How did Macks presence affect the Bears overall record? 
This is a “WE HAVE A STAR” moment for the Chargers who literally have no fan base. 
Players expect great QBs to be payed, but these types of contracts seep into the top players at other positions & create jealousy. Keenan Allen? What’s he thinking right now? That guy has played hurt, given his all. 
FACT. Paying a non QB position an astronomical amount of money is never a good idea long term. 
This is a team game, always has been. And as much as people (GMs) talk about the Patriot way (yes, they were lucky drafting Brady) but it’s the way Belichick always traded guys that start squawking that KEPT them successful. 
It started with Lawyer Milloy and continued from there. 
Joe Douglas trading Adams was a BB move. The Jets will have a much higher chance of success with an overall better roster than paying Jamal Adams 20 million per. 
Chargers will NEVER sniff a SUPER BOWL during Joey Bosas tenure, BOOK IT. 

Tom brady and his desire to put his team first was a big reason the pats were able to field competitive teams year in and year out. Looking over on spotrac.com, brady on average, was making about 16 mil a year from 2012 to last year with last year being the only year he made over 20mill. In a league where just about every other QB who was next in line for a contract would make a record setting deal, brady was taking below market deals. Yea, his wife makes prob double what he does, and yes, he has that side deal with the pats for his training company, but for cap purposes, he allowed that team to sign a couple extra players that could make impacts on the pats. Brady gave the pats a huge advantage over the rest of the league. I'll never like the guy, but you cannt deny that he helped his teams out quite a bit by taking less.

With that being said, you mention mack and etc, but when you look at the last 10-15 years, the majority of teams that have won / made it to superbowls are the teams that have had their franchise QB's on below market deals. Because their QB's werent taking an absurd amount of the cap, they were able to invest in other positions. go look at the teams that have gotten to the show....you'll notice that is a common factor on most of the teams.

The chargers are going to put a talented team around Justin herbert. If he develops quickly, the chargers will compete. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Wow. Edge rushers are being overpaid. 

Why do fans think that what a team is willing to pay, what they walk into and gladly hand over amounts to an overpay?  

These monster deals arent for FAs who's price has been driven up by a bidding war.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Tom brady and his desire to put his team first  ABILITY TO GET UNDER THE TABLE COMPENSATION was a big reason the pats were able to field competitive teams year in and year out. Looking over on spotrac.com, brady on average, was making about 16 mil a year from 2012 to last year with last year being the only year he made over 20mill. In a league where just about every other QB who was next in line for a contract would make a record setting deal, brady was taking below market deals. Yea, his wife makes prob double what he does, and yes, he has that side deal with the pats for his training company, but for cap purposes, he allowed that team to sign a couple extra players that could make impacts on the pats. Brady gave the pats a huge advantage over the rest of the league. I'll never like the guy, but you cannt deny that he helped his teams out quite a bit by taking less.

With that being said, you mention mack and etc, but when you look at the last 10-15 years, the majority of teams that have won / made it to superbowls are the teams that have had their franchise QB's on below market deals. Because their QB's werent taking an absurd amount of the cap, they were able to invest in other positions. go look at the teams that have gotten to the show....you'll notice that is a common factor on most of the teams.

The chargers are going to put a talented team around Justin herbert. If he develops quickly, the chargers will compete. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Tom brady and his desire to put his team first was a big reason the pats were able to field competitive teams year in and year out. Looking over on spotrac.com, brady on average, was making about 16 mil a year from 2012 to last year with last year being the only year he made over 20mill. In a league where just about every other QB who was next in line for a contract would make a record setting deal, brady was taking below market deals. Yea, his wife makes prob double what he does, and yes, he has that side deal with the pats for his training company, but for cap purposes, he allowed that team to sign a couple extra players that could make impacts on the pats. Brady gave the pats a huge advantage over the rest of the league. I'll never like the guy, but you cannt deny that he helped his teams out quite a bit by taking less.

While I agree with your premise regarding Brady & his compensation, it was his ability to get the ball out of his hand quickly that led to them winning. 
Once you pay Joey Bosa that kind of coin, on 1 side of the ball, they will never, ever be able to keep a good draft group together. You have to hit on every pick to get some cheap years. 
That team had a lot of 38-30 games last year with Bosa. 
The way to win Super Bowls now is to build your offense, SCORE, Score, score. 
Find out where your weak on defense, buy FAs to fill on short term deals. 
Even the Pats did that with Revis. KC with Jones & Mathieu. 
Pats had the #1 defense but couldn’t  score anymore. Weak offense killed them. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

While I agree with your premise regarding Brady & his compensation, it was his ability to get the ball out of his hand quickly that led to them winning. 
Once you pay Joey Bosa that kind of coin, on 1 side of the ball, they will never, ever be able to keep a good draft group together. You have to hit on every pick to get some cheap years. 
That team had a lot of 38-30 games last year with Bosa. 
The way to win Super Bowls now is to build your offense, SCORE, Score, score. 
Find out where your weak on defense, buy FAs to fill on short term deals. 
Even the Pats did that with Revis. KC with Jones & Mathieu. 

The thing about sacks, is that with all the passing and penalties, you can overcome them if you have a competent offense.  This is why having quality offensive linemen is the key to sustained success once you have the qb.  I’d rather use Seattle’s first rounder on a good center or guard, if that guy falls, he will help the team more than a cornerback.  

If you consider what belichick would do you usually figure out what works and what doesn’t.  Would he have traded Adams for 2 1sts and a 3rd?  Yes, in a second.  Would he have paid Bosa that money?  Nope.  He tagged thurney b/c he’s important, so important to protect the qb.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do fans think that what a team is willing to pay, what they walk into an gladly hand over is an overpay?  

These monster deals arent for FAs who's price has been driven up by a bidding war.

I think edge rushers are being over valued in the NFL. So, I guess I can switch the word overpay to overvalued. Either way, he’s getting payed average QB money. He’s getting paid almost as much per season as Drew Brees who just signed this year. No defender is bringing that much value to a game. I mean, look what happened to the Rams the minute Goff and their offense dipped? They went from power house to average despite having the best pass rusher in the league. I think Khalil Mack may have had just 1 winning season in career. The nfl is treating edge rusher like they almost as valuable as QBs.

I haven’t really seen this being argued by the analytics community. So, I don’t really have data to back my argument. Just my perception.