Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, I think this is a bit much

I think he’s just one of those guys who struggles to consistently make good decisions. Usually those guys never put it all together, but occasionally they do after moving around the league and continuing to develop.

But, barring a miraculous turnaround,  he’s done here. 

I said in another thread...

Darnold's best chance is to backup Goff.  Put his fragile psyche back on the "la dee da" West Coast... and let McVay work with him.

And the next QB the Jets draft?!? Better damn well be from the South, or the Rust Belt.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Appreciate the kind words regarding me as a poster.

It isn’t the first time that a GM has done something like this, and it won’t be the last time.  I’m not a fan of it, but the truth is Joe Douglas fought for that 6 year contract because he knew that this wasn’t a “blow your load on FA and give Gase and Sam all the weapons” type of fix.  It’s going to take a lot more than that.

The fact of the matter is this: no GM candidate, especially one of Douglas’s league wide reputation, was taking this job knowing that he wouldn’t be allowed to pick his own QB or his own Head Coach.  Douglas will be given free reign to do what he wants and, quite frankly, if he gets one of the top tier coaches and a top tier QB prospect that he builds around...2020 will be a blip on the radar.  He’s, rightfully, thinking long-term.  We can not like it all we want.  His seat is the only one that is ice cold right now.

Lastly, Adams was wrong in every way shape and form of the word “wrong”.  The fact that Douglas got two first for him was nothing short of a miracle.

I sure hope you are right and that he can turn this around but so far he’s responsible for an absolutely desultory roster that is an embarrassment....I don’t want to wait 6 years to be competitive and I want to see the evidence that he has the ability to build a roster and out all those pieces together....the early returns are mixed at best and troubling at worst 

16 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I am not giving up on him just yet but he really doesn’t look like a QB that can lift his team     with that being said Would like to see what he can do when the starting receivers get back on the field to make a fair accurate decision but as of now he looks gun shy and doesn’t have what it takes to be a franchise QB here in NYC 

It was ugly for sure but come on...we had a 2nd/3rd tier WR corp to start the season and they are all out. I just don't know if the backups are running the right routes/out of position? Sam is running for his life again; which means the GM did nothing to help him. Is it Sam's fault or the fact that we have some god awful WRs who can't get seperation? Our #1 RB is 100 years old. This is just a trainwreck. It can and will get worse. This team is a disaster and you can't fire 53 guys so you start with one; Adam Gase.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Mogglez I think you are one of best posters on here but I can’t agree with this overly optimistic appraisal ...you can’t simply sacrifice a season like that, the way to build is not to put out abject and inept and to deliberately sabotage yourself with players that would be laughed out of a replacement team tryout ....that simply is not a plan.
His much hyped revamp of the OL came at the expense of almost every other position on the roster and that OL is either unable to get on the field or is as bad as it was last year(which he also had a hand in) stock piling draft capital or cap space is only ever any good if you actually do something with it.
I get that the cap ramifications MIGHT make things interesting next year and I love that he got what he did for Adams but he was almost entirely to blame for Adans discontent in the first place and our defence is being gashed and exposed because it’s far and away best player got traded and we once again have absolutely ZERO pass rush. I’m sorry but Douglas needs his feet held to the fire over this too. His failures leave both Gase and Darnold legitimate excuses and we really need to know what we have here and his failure to put an even remotely competent level of talent out there cannot be just passed over IMO. At some pint we need to get over Maccagnan and accept that JD has had ample opportunity to shape this team and world beating culture he claims to want to foster and as of now he’s miles off. The jury remains out 

This is a good point. JD promised us the best culture in sport. How can you claim that is your aim if you let Gase run one more practice here?

9 minutes ago, usapaw said:

It was ugly for sure but come on...we had a 2nd/3rd tier WR corp to start the season and they are all out. I just don't know if the backups are running the right routes/out of position? Sam is running for his life again; which means the GM did nothing to help him. Is it Sam's fault or the fact that we have some god awful WRs who can't get seperation? Our #1 RB is 100 years old. This is just a trainwreck. It can and will get worse. This team is a disaster and you can't fire 53 guys so you start with one; Adam Gase.

You are correct but I would like to see if he has what it takes to be at the very least a serviceable QB with marginally better wide receivers coming back Same thing goes for Gase.He shouldn’t get fired now for the same reason as they both are saddled with well below average offensive players, but with Gase     even with less than stellar talent he should be able to scheme them open that’s why I do believe he has to go but not at this point of time 

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

I sure hope you are right and that he can turn this around but so far he’s responsible for an absolutely desultory roster that is an embarrassment....I don’t want to wait 6 years to be competitive and I want to see the evidence that he has the ability to build a roster and out all those pieces together....the early returns are mixed at best and troubling at worst 

Therein lies the problem my friend.  Our organization has always operated with this same exact mindset and it’s exactly why we have always half-assed the rebuilds necessary to change everything and beckons a consistent winner.  

His first draft pick was a high upside prospect at a premium position that already looks like he can be something special.

His second draft pick was a high upside WR who was looked at by many as a first rounder.  Another premium position too.

Perine looks like he could be a player.

Bryce Hall is a guy I predict will be a fantastic pick when we look back on it.

My point is, for the first time in my years as a Jets fan, I walked away from the draft without scratching my head and hoping that the guys in charge knew better than me.  Gone are the days of not taking a fantastic prospect at a premium position because the safe/low upside  “BPA” is there.  That, alone, is enough to get me pumped on what JD can do over the next few years. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Just watched Adams with a huge grin on his face as Seattle went 3 and 0. And he is thinking how fortunate he was to get out of the rubble.

Darnold is trapped in the carnage.

The JETS will ruin any star.

Name one player that if added to this roster would have us with a win?

I would say maybe Russel Wilson or Mahommes.   Two players we passed on because we had a mediocre QB.   

Friggin' Russell Wilson is incredible.   Top level player I ever saw play.   Beyond gifted, elusive and as accurate as possible.  The difference between Wilson and Darnold is eye popping.   Darnold looks like Bambi hoping to somehow get a completion.   Russelll Wilson is so far beyond confident that he always expects to complete the pass and is stunned when he doesn't.   What an amazing talent.   Plus--and this is big--he gets to f*ck Ciara.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't think it'll make a difference TBH. The dream is dead.

Probably wouldn’t help        but at this point have to try something to get his head out of his butt. As he does show flashes of ability at times but also makes more incredibly dumb decisions than flashes of brilliance. Try everything you can to get him to play better and draw talent out then make informed decision 

Just now, CSNY said:

Probably wouldn’t help        but at this point have to try something to get his head out of his butt. As he does show flashes of ability at times but also makes more incredibly dumb decisions than flashes of brilliance. Try everything you can to get him to play better and draw talent out then make informed decision 

Every NFL QB except the Curtis Painters of the world have flashes of ability. Benching him won't help him learn consistency...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

All of us have had moments at work or life where we doubt ourselves and have those panic moments, "Am I a fraud? Do I belong here?"

It's painful to watch a 23-year old go through this on live TV.

yeah. no pleasure in that.

i dont like this whole stoopit press requirements...  its garbage. 

ffs, wait til monday at least...      

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

This is on CJ. Darnold was the best QB prospect  we have had in 20 years. CJ put an organization  around him that failed him miserably.  Darnold can rebound from this but that is very unlikely considering what we have on this team.

Darnold is toast.

People have always poked a little fun at the Jets here and there - but we’re officially now the team that QBs will avoid like the plague. Eli dodging SD type sh*t. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Every NFL QB except the Curtis Painters of the world have flashes of ability. Benching him won't help him learn consistency...

You are probably correct but like I said have to try something and everything to get the light bulb turned on to get him to play better before we give up on him  if everything they try doesn’t work move on 

One thing that I did notice is that he Did throw the ball away a number of times today instead of throwing an ill advised pass or taking a sack 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

People have always poked a little fun at the Jets here and there - but we’re officially now the team that QBs will avoid like the plague. Eli dodging SD type sh*t. 

Only hope is make Dabo the highest paid HC in NFL history. Obviously, never happen with Johnsons at helm.

• Upvote 1

My ego and self respect aside, I didn't think what had just happened over the last 3 weeks was even possible? I don't believe anyone saw it even being possible that he could play as badly as he has. His prior two seasons he started slowly, but he always got better throughout the season and finished playing very well. So what he's going through right now would tend to be understood by his first two seasons? But who really knows? I have a few theories not necessarily in the right order:

1) Darnold was never that good. In year 3 he's being exposed as a Sanchez type prospect. We'll need to move on from him after this season.

2) Adam Gase has ruined Sammy. Something about his inability to teach has taken all of Sammy's good instincts for the game away?

3) The JETS entire management team has ruined Sammy. It's no secret Mac was a terrible GM. His neglect of the OL is almost criminal. Joe Douglas, although the jury is still out, has NOT pulled his weight in giving Sammy a supporting cast that's more conducive to learning and building confidence.

4) Sammy is actually FINE? He's just going through a phase due to so many injuries on the team. He'll certainly recover but it'll take time for the GM to start to do his job.

I prefer to believe #3 is the cause and #4 is the truth further on down the line? But at this point I really am wondering and quite frustrated about the situation.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Friggin' Russell Wilson is incredible.   Top level player I ever saw play.   Beyond gifted, elusive and as accurate as possible.  The difference between Wilson and Darnold is eye popping.   Darnold looks like Bambi hoping to somehow get a completion.   Russelll Wilson is so far beyond confident that he always expects to complete the pass and is stunned when he doesn't.   What an amazing talent.   Plus--and this is big--he gets to f*ck Ciara.   

he was at NC State when my daughter was there.  I watched him for 3 years and KNEW he was special.    BUT NO.....  FUKKIN JETS suck my cock. 

• Haha 2