Lamical Perine to be feature back over the remainder of the season

MTJ06

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports Lamical Perine "will be the featured back over the remainder of the season as the organization tries to determine if he can be a future RB1."

Perine has been operating as the No. 2 back behind veteran Frank Gore, which is a classic Adam Gase decision. Like Cimini writes, the Jets need to see if their young players have any juice and times ticking. Perine, a fourth-round rookie, could see double-digit touches down the stretch. Of course, touches in this offense are low value, making Perine only a bench hold in 12-team leagues.

RELATED: 
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Nov 10, 2020, 6:19 PM ET
  •  

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/58453/lamical-perine

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports Lamical Perine "will be the featured back over the remainder of the season as the organization tries to determine if he can be a future RB1."

Perine has been operating as the No. 2 back behind veteran Frank Gore, which is a classic Adam Gase decision. Like Cimini writes, the Jets need to see if their young players have any juice and times ticking. Perine, a fourth-round rookie, could see double-digit touches down the stretch. Of course, touches in this offense are low value, making Perine only a bench hold in 12-team leagues.

RELATED: 
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Nov 10, 2020, 6:19 PM ET
  •  

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/58453/lamical-perine

Again GIF by memecandy

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He honestly looks extremely mediocre. As he did in college. It's easy to blame Gase but there's probably a good reason it's taken so long. 

Was my most hated pick in the draft and that hasn't changed - Especially with a ton of WR's still on the board. Gabriel Davis was the next WR off the board and he's been excellent for the Bills. 

To have the same YPC as our 60 year old is pretty concerning. The speed difference isn't even that noticeable.

Bilal Powell would have been our best running back this season by a lot and we left him sitting on the couch. 

Perine wasn’t pass blocking very well.  The oline seems to be playing better so Perine should also start to look better.  And he seems to be pretty good as a pass receiver.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

What the hell has to happen to get Morgan or White under center? Running old man Flacco out there serves no literal purpose 

I view him not playing as a sign he might actually be considered an elite prospect and they are developing him instead of throwing him to the wolves.   

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I view him not playing as a sign he might actually be considered an elite prospect and they are developing him instead of throwing him to the wolves.   

What a concept right? Joe Douglas knows what he's doing, obviously doesn't mean he's going to hit on every decision but there's nothing wrong with bringing a QB prospect along slowly into the NFL. There was A LOT of speculation that Morgan was on Belichicks radar. 

These things develop over time, similar to most draft picks who unfortunately to fans not going to be Super Stars in their 1st few games in the NFL. I mean seriously, Jet fans were already calling all of these guys busts, lol. Perine to me looks like he's developing nicely, he's a tough runner who needed to learn how to pass block, looks to have soft hands in the passing game & could be a really solid #2 if we land a RB like Etienne or Najee Harris in 2021s draft. 

Its tough because this is our 10th year of suck, it's a long time, but truth is, this really is Joe Douglas 1st year. Even Hall we have no idea & I didn't expect much just for the fact the guy hasn't played in so long. I'm really looking forward to these last 7 games. The losses mean nothing to me, the development of these young guys means everything to me. Others have said this & I totally agree, what do the 2021 Jets get out of a 1 win season when that win had Joe Flacco at QB & Frank Gore at RB? 

Its been a tough year for Joe D but I guarantee you his mentors like Ozzie Newsome are telling him, STAY THE COURSE, gonna take time to scrape the sh*t off the walls there. 

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Luton. Dinucci

rookie qbs who have all started a game this year

that goes from the very top prospect to the non prospect

give Morgan a shot, see what he’s got

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

That is some serious wishful thinking.

It's more likely he's been bad than elite. 

Probably neither is true, but to seriously believe a 4th round pick is on the bench because he's already being viewed as an "elite" prospect is just silly.

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Perine in not a featured #1. 

He seems to be a solid player that will be good for the team - certainly play a role - but not a "Featured" back.  Just not explosive or strong enough.

he appears to suck.... not sure where you get the solid player part his avg is about 3.5 yards per carry

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

he appears to suck.... not sure where you get the solid player part his avg is about 3.5 yards per carry

Nah, he's okay.  3.5 yards per carry with this awful line and the fact that he's had no chance to really get into a groove.  He'll be a nice role player.  Still need a featured back though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He honestly looks extremely mediocre. As he did in college. It's easy to blame Gase but there's probably a good reason it's taken so long. 

Was my most hated pick in the draft and that hasn't changed - Especially with a ton of WR's still on the board. Gabriel Davis was the next WR off the board and he's been excellent for the Bills. 

To have the same YPC as our 60 year old is pretty concerning. The speed difference isn't even that noticeable.

Bilal Powell would have been our best running back this season by a lot and we left him sitting on the couch. 

His leadership was his most attractive quality. Good locker room guy, and competent player. Fills a need. 

You're right about Gabriel Davis though, he's been outstanding. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Perine wasn’t pass blocking very well.  The oline seems to be playing better so Perine should also start to look better.  And he seems to be pretty good as a pass receiver.

They used a completely different pass blocking scheme on Monday which makes it easier for the RB to understand his gap assignment.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Perine is a nice player, but backup-caliber talent.    He lacks the quick twitch feet required to be a starting running back.

I think he is a RB2, I don't see him as a starter. Seems like he can come in and do a decent job. Catch some balls out of the backfield. But they need a more explosive starter next year.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah, he's okay.  3.5 yards per carry with this awful line and the fact that he's had no chance to really get into a groove.  He'll be a nice role player.  Still need a featured back though.

100% agree.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think he is a RB2, I don't see him as a starter. Seems like he can come in and do a decent job. Catch some balls out of the backfield. But they need a more explosive starter next year.

That is, or should be, the definition of a 4th rd running back. Wasn’t Bilal a 4th rounder too? If Perine can do what Bilal did here for 5/6 years, this pick is a HR.

• Upvote 1