Why does everybody think this move was so unusual for Gregg Williams?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

The whole thing is so dumb.  Total clown show. He dropped 4 deep on the play before, Maye got beat, Angholor was open, Carr missed the throw vs the prevent you from winning D everyone loves to criticize. 

Please, that was a horrible play and even worse execution. They didn't  even rush 8. A LB looked like he was spying Carr from the midddle on the field. If the guy rushed, Carr probably.gets sacked because Carr stepped up in front of him. And Jackson has to know you can not let your man get behind you, you take the penalty if does. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Please, that was a horrible play and even worse execution. They didn't  even rush 8. A LB looked like he was spying Carr from the midddle on the field. If the guy rushed, Carr probably.gets sacked because Carr stepped up in front of him. And Jackson has to know you can not let your man get behind you, you take the penalty if does. 

It was a terrible call, but what’s the narrative if Carr hits the play before? This is dumb 

• Upvote 1

It was an absolute horrible play call.

He didn't even have to go "prevent" he could've simply played a deep cover two with only two Safety's playing over the top; but lining up a mediocre Rookie CB with 4.59 40 speed while one on one on an island (as if he's Revis) against a blazing fast 4.27 type of Cheetah in Ruggs (with no Safety help over the top) was absolutely idiotic on GW's behalf. 

What made it almost as bad was using a QB spy on Carr lol instead of sending him along with everyone else on his all out blitz call. 

But nonetheless I'm so thankful and happy he dropped the ball there because I was sitting at home watching the game in disbelief I was so frustrated how we just lost out on the #1 overall pick and Trevor Lawrence. It was a disgusting feeling for me as a Jet fan to watch us go 1-11;

but then it happened. Magic happened. I haven't celebrated like I celebrated Ruggs TD since eliminating N.E 2010 I could've ran through windows I was so thankful to see 0-12...

But yes it was an absolute bad call. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And Jackson has to know you can not let your man get behind you, you take the penalty if does. 

Knowing and being able to in a track meet are two separate things. Jackson runs a 4.59. Ruggs runs a 4.27. It was physically impossible for Jackson to not get smoked by Ruggs and no amount of DB technique could've saved Jackson in that situation; which makes GW not having two Safetys over the top in deep zone coverage so mind boggling to me; Jackson didn't have a prayer against Ruggs without Safety help. 

Nonetheless I'm so happy that it happened how it happened because 1-11 would be a Jets nightmare for us all right now. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Knowing and being able to in a track meet are two separate things. Jackson runs a 4.59. Ruggs runs a 4.27. It was physically impossible for Jackson to not get smoked by Ruggs and no amount of DB technique could've saved Jackson in that situation; which makes GW not having two Safetys over the top in deep zone coverage so mind boggling to me; Jackson didn't have a prayer against Ruggs without Safety help. 

Nonetheless I'm so happy that it happened how it happened because 1-11 would be a Jets nightmare for us all right now. 

Lamar should have given the "revis-cushion-against-buffalo".

Dumb, stupid play by Lamar.   

Bad play by the fat guys too getting no pressure on a 7 man blitz.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The "spy" LB everyone keeps talking about was Matthias Farley. He wasn't spying Carr, he was man to man with Waller. Carr knew that GW was bringing the blitz (since this is something Gregg is KNOWN for) and kept Waller in to block the extra rushers. Farley waited to see if Waller was going to run a route but by the time he realized he was just blocking it was too late to get to Carr. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

Objectively terrible call but Gase avoiding shared responsibility for it is a joke

He doesn't really take responsibility for anything at all. For the most part all he does is shift blame around; except for his recent weak "admission" that he hasn't "helped" Darnold much. Kick him in his ass. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

The "spy" LB everyone keeps talking about was Matthias Farley. He wasn't spying Carr, he was man to man with Waller. Carr knew that GW was bringing the blitz (since this is something Gregg is KNOWN for) and kept Waller in to block the extra rushers. Farley waited to see if Waller was going to run a route but by the time he realized he was just blocking it was too late to get to Carr. 

Yeah, he should have blitzed. He was standing there for a while and was walking forward. Rex for all his shortcomings as a HC I a damn good DC and he said mot only was that the wrong time to run cover 0, they didn't  even run ot right and was talking about Farley. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

The whole thing is so dumb.  Total clown show. He dropped 4 deep on the play before, Maye got beat, Angholor was open, Carr missed the throw vs the prevent you from winning D everyone loves to criticize. 

Exactly man.  This is not how everyone is making it out to be. The Jets got beat and only an overthrow by Carr saved that play. All GW did was reverse it to try and get the job done. 

This is all a gimmick.  Gase had better get fired 

Gase is an idiot! 
Every good coach in this league doesn’t run to the locker room with a TO in his pocket in that situation! 
You’ve got rookies all over the place in that secondary so you call the Time Out get the defense together & do a little of what your PAID TO F*CKING DO, COACH! 
I lived in New England for all 20 years of the Belichick/Brady run. There is no effing way on gods green earth that BB doesn’t use that TO with 13 seconds left & 1 play to win from the 46 yard line that he goes to the locker room with that TO in his pocket. 
The defense/pass rushers get a breather, they just ran a deep play already, the coaches coach, DO NOT GO FOR DIG FAKES keep running! Just brutal coaching, and the Head Coach should take all the heat & instead fires Williams. So JETSY!

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Exactly man.  This is not how everyone is making it out to be. The Jets got beat and only an overthrow by Carr saved that play. All GW did was reverse it to try and get the job done. 

This is all a gimmick.  Gase had better get fired 

Gase was distracted, so he couldnt take a time out and change the call and that's ok all is forgiven if you're Adam Gase.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JiF said:

It’s a clear tank job by Williams 

I saw a tweet that I can’t seem to find now that pretty much said the following:

Greg Williams zero blitz call was the only time in NFL history that a team did this (somewhere around last 15 years). Tweet mentioned something about leading by 8 or less points and something along the lines of 10 seconds left in the game. Wish I could find it but nevertheless, no other team in a similar situation has ever made that call...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JiF said:

Except he shouldnt have played prevent, he would have been better off rushing two and dropping 9 into deep coverage and just tackling anyone if they caught the ball and watched the clock run out.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Yeah that works maybe if you have any pass rushers but we don’t 

Regardless of players, situation, implications, down and distance...Gregg Williams knows how to do one thing and that was figured out years ago. It's why I was so confused when this board was so excited to have him.

Terrible, terrible call for the situation. But, I would note for those getting on Jackson, I think he had it right. You expect the pressure to get to Carr and the ball to come out quick, so biting on the hitch is correct because if Ruggs catches a short pass and Jackson is not right there to tackle him, Ruggs likely scores. While there was poor execution on the play, it was by whoever was at MLB, who was the eighth blitzer i.e. the extra man who could not be blocked.

The MLB inexplicably waits forever to rush the passer. When Ruggs is 13 yards downfield and Carr is already 7 to 8 yards deep in his drop, the MLB has not yet even crossed the line of scrimmage. Remember, he is the free rusher. The Raiders have 7 blockers and the MLB is the 8th pass rusher.  While there is some value in delay because it makes it more likely that the MLB will not have a blocker, he waited way too long. So, terrible call, which probably would have worked if properly executed and the player who failed to execute was the MLB.

jet.jpg

• Upvote 1