Fields is an elite prospect too

One other usual variable to add into assessing the value of the number 2 pick. Both washington and the Colts will likely be looking for Qbs, and both are very likely to be in the playoffs and picking in the 20s. Thats a ton of Draft capital they would need to pay to move up, and likely would have to include following yrs number 1. Just use the jets trade for darnold  from 6 to 3, as example, trading 3 twos just to move up 3 spots!, 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

They dont know anything. The same one dissing fields now . Will be same one saying how did we pass on him if he becomes successful. Similar to watson , mahomes, allen, jackson ect..  

How do you judge a college QB who's season was postponed for months because of Covid, had very little practice time & continually had high numbers of players not playing around him (22 last week!). 

I saw a throw that was picked in the endzone that could have easily been a TD in the NFL if he was Watson throwing to Hopkins! 

Nitpicking everything a QB does by just stats is fools gold. It's like yesterday's game when Braxton dropped that TD pass, do you know how many elite WRs pluck that out of the air? Theilen does that almost every week for Cousins, this is still a team game & how do we really know that Justin Fields behind a good Oline throwing to Allen Robinson, Mims, Devonta Smith & handing off to Najee Harris wouldn't be successful? 

We have no idea? The Ravens have rarely had high picks & Douglas learned under Ozzie. I'm sure he's not laying in a fetal position in his office crying. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Out of the maybe 6 first round QBs, Lawrence most likely won’t be the only great one. Luck was the guy and Wilson round 3 turned out great. Passing a QB at 2 and playing it safe waiting for the perfect QB is why we passed Watson and Mahomes when we clearly needed a QB. We clearly need a QB, Darnold sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t want any QB not named Trevor Lawrence.

If that ship has sailed, then focus on building up the rest of the roster and add your QB later if Darnold proceeds to fall flat on his face next year.

Look I like Sam and think he’s a great kid and says all the right things. You certainly could go that route and also admit taking any QB ( not Lawrence) could be a half measure. As much as I like Sam- I fairly convinced I’ve ( we’ve ) seen all we need to see of him to know he’s just not who we hoped he’d be. Let’s hope Douglas has the plan. This team needs to get back to respectable and needs to do it a lot sooner than later.

I dont think any of these qbs are the answer, but if you start to project a little, I can see where JD feels he may need to pull the trigger on a Fields or someone else if he likes them.  There will always be prospects that wow you year after year, but how long are you going to have to wait for a QB if you pass on one this year for potentially only 1 more year of Darnold.  

Thats the tough spot

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StrawberryFields said:

Don’t forget this is a 2 QB draft and Wilson and Lance are pretty good too. It is not Lawrence or Bust. 

Reading this board is getting me depressed. Draft Sewell and roll with Darnold??

Trust Douglas to find the next QB. When he talks to Ryan Day about how special Justin is he will see the light. 

yeah but will he be good forever?

Problem with trading back is that, unless the Bengals start winning some games, we'll never get Sewell either.

At best we might get to pick 4 behind the Bengals but then we are looking at taking someone on the defensive side of the ball like Surtain or Parsons.  I'm not ready to spend a top 5 pick on either of those guys.  Otherwise, we take Chase at 4 which is a reach to me.

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How do you judge a college QB who's season was postponed for months because of Covid, had very little practice time & continually had high numbers of players not playing around him (22 last week!). 

I saw a throw that was picked in the endzone that could have easily been a TD in the NFL if he was Watson throwing to Hopkins! 

Nitpicking everything a QB does by just stats is fools gold. It's like yesterday's game when Braxton dropped that TD pass, do you know how many elite WRs pluck that out of the air? Theilen does that almost every week for Cousins, this is still a team game & how do we really know that Justin Fields behind a good Oline throwing to Allen Robinson, Mims, Devonta Smith & handing off to Najee Harris wouldn't be successful? 

We have no idea? The Ravens have rarely had high picks & Douglas learned under Ozzie. I'm sure he's not laying in a fetal position in his office crying. 

My guy, Trevor Lawrence also went through hell this college season with COVID. Don't use it as a crutch to prop up Fields. 

16 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Problem with trading back is that, unless the Bengals start winning some games, we'll never get Sewell either.

At best we might get to pick 4 behind the Bengals but then we are looking at taking someone on the defensive side of the ball like Surtain or Parsons.  I'm not ready to spend a top 5 pick on either of those guys.  Otherwise, we take Chase at 4 which is a reach to me.

The only way the Jets can pick lower than #2 is if they win out.

Who honestly sees the Jets beating the Rams, Browns and Pats consecutively?

EDIT: Totally missed the trade back part. If the Jets want Sewell they’d have to stay at #2.

If they trade back, go get Kyle Pitts/DeVonta Smith.

18 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

My guy, Trevor Lawrence also went through hell this college season with COVID. Don't use it as a crutch to prop up Fields. 

Clemson never had 22 guys out? And the entire Clemson team in general are way more talented than Ohio State!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Do people really think Douglas is going to draft a QB. What are you people smoking. He's going to trade down with the Bengals who desperately need a LT to protect Burrows blind side. 

i think his job depends on it. Woody didnt hire jd. And i dont see jd risking his job for sam who he didnt draft.  But it will be interesting too see how it plays out. 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe, but that means we’d still pick #2.

We are picking 2.  I could see douglas trading back a few spots in certain scenarios, but ultimately ii think douglas trades darnold to a team like the Steelers and drafts his own guy.  Plus you cant pay darnold, he hasn’t shown he deserves a big contract.  

Sign schuster, draft Wilson and build around the new guy.  Fields is very much a product of the ohio state system and elite talent around him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scoop24 said:

i think his job depends on it. Woody didnt hire jd. And i dont see jd risking his job for sam who he didnt draft.  But it will be interesting too see how it plays out. 

Exactly.  Douglas is drafting his own guy.  And based on how he seems to want to manage the cap he’s not paying darnold.

1 hour ago, StrawberryFields said:

Don’t forget this is a 2 QB draft and Wilson and Lance are pretty good too. It is not Lawrence or Bust. 

Reading this board is getting me depressed. Draft Sewell and roll with Darnold??

Trust Douglas to find the next QB. When he talks to Ryan Day about how special Justin is he will see the light. 

Justin Fields is a raw prospect with a lot of talent.

You draft him late first round if he's there. If he's not there you don't sweat it.

Whatever you do, you don't draft him with the #2 pick.  That would be desperate.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Allen has special physical traits, so you can look past a couple of bad games. His arm jumped out at you. Just like Lamar Jackson's mobility jumped out at you.

Fields does nothing that wows you. I don't see the big deal with him.

Fields skill set is right on par with Lawrence . I'd even argue Fields does more to help his team win then TL throwing bubble screens and 5 yard passes and watching his skill position players carry the load. They are both excellent prospects . 

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Darnold will be a top 10 QB, in the next two years. Next year we'll have a training camp, more talent around him, and a chance for him to develop some chemistry with a stable group at WR, and an o- line that gives him a chance at least most of the time to see what's in front of him. Something he didn't have most of this year.qa

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Saturday he was overwhelmingly...average. 

Indiana and Northwestern are two of the best defenses , not just in the Big 10 but in all of college football. If you say Fields sucks because of subpar games( which his team won both) against them, then what about the Savior Lawrence against LSU last year.  

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Fields skill set is right on par with Lawrence . I'd even argue Fields does more to help his team win then TL throwing bubble screens and 5 yard passes and watching his skill position players carry the load. They are both excellent prospects . 

I'm not going to act like I'm an expert. I haven't seen a lot of him. But the little that I have seen hasn't impressed me. I'd rather take the top O-Lineman and stick with Sam.