Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

31 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

... because of SF's 'Electric' passing game ?

They beat the Jets with half their starters injured & Garapolo playing on 1 leg. Oh, let me rephrase that they kicked the Jets azz in all 3 phases of NFL football with a bunch of backups all over the place! 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and is dc of a team with some pretty darn good players like donald.  he might be a fine hc but lets see him have a defense with ordinary players.  and for all of the 49ers ahievements last year they finished 6-10 this year.  oh i get the whole excuse thing about injuries but they still should've done better.

i must have missed the trade of aaron donald to the niners...

yes, SF had a tough year this year.  they were ravaged by injuries/covid and played their 2nd and 3rd string QB most of the year.  almost their entire d-line was on the IR at some point, along with their starting QB, RB, top WRs and all pro TE.

it's odd you focus on a covid-ravaged 6-10 but ignore that they went to the super bowl last year.  if not for that extended playoff run, saleh very well would be a head coach already.  the guy is one of the hottest candidates on the market, that seemingly every team with an opening wants to talk to.  i can't say i know enough about him to properly opine, and i grant all this demand does not mean he will be successful.  but he seems like one of the top candidates out there

7 minutes ago, heymangold said:

You also liked Adam Gase, so maybe I’ll change my stance on Saleh.  Also, what makes Glenn attractive?

Glenn is one of the only candidates that might actually want to come here:

Worst roster in the NFL.
Last HC saw all impact players shipped out and blamed for losing.
Difficult Darnold decision dumped immediately in lap.
Fanbase who ran respected coach out of town after 4 games.
Vicious media who've made an industry out of HC mob rule.
Uncertainty over who is acting as owner in next 2 years.
Missing out on generational quarterback prospect.
Little brother in own market.
Less than 3 playmakers on the entire squad.
28 players on expired 1-year deals.
Share division with Belichick, McDermott, and Flores.
No prior HC had any success thereafter without a decade of rehabilitation.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Not sold on him.  He works for arguably the best young HC in the league.  SF has an enormously talented defense filled with lots of talent and veterans.  He would have to have an amazing interview for me to even consider hiring him.  

And half of them missed the whole season as they were crippled with injuries. I was super impressed by what they did on defense this year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Surprised he’s even interviewing with us.

• Surprised he’s even interviewing with anyone after Detroit...shows he’s open-minded maybe.

• If you like him, offer him the yacht and the chopper. 

Yes!  Get him to the CHOPPAAAAHHHHH!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Glenn is one of the only candidates that might actually want to come here:

Worst roster in the NFL.
Last HC saw all impact players shipped out and blamed for losing.
Difficult Darnold decision dumped immediately in lap.
Fanbase who ran respected coach out of town after 4 games.
Vicious media who've made an industry out of HC mob rule.
Uncertainty over who is acting as owner in next 2 years.
Missing out on generational quarterback prospect.
Little brother in own market.
Less than 3 playmakers on the entire squad.
28 players on expired 1-year deals.
Share division with Belichick, McDermott, and Flores.
No prior HC had any success thereafter without a decade of rehabilitation.

SAR I

But, but.....5-0.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

But Detroit doesn't have near the assets the Jets do or the #2 pick in the draft. If I'm looking for a coaching job, I'm looking at if I can (with my GM), mold a team in my image of what type of team I'm looking to build. 

With 18 picks this year + next including 4 first rounders + almost 100 million in free agent dollars + a slew of late rounders to use for players that teams bleeding with the cap would want to move players, the Jets are right up there. I also see Joe Douglas as a smart football guy, team player that potential Head Coaches would love to work with. 

Even when compared to Jets, Detroit is an awful team/organization. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I like the Youth and Energy ... tbh don't know enough about him to make an educated opinion.  I don't remember hearing anything stellar about SFs passing game. 

But hey if the Football God's respect him we could do worse.

I am interested in the Fitzgerald interview more. But am open to something like this. Shannahan's Offenses typically put up points.

So your bashing Saleh for SF's "stellar" passing game but want Fitzgerald  . 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Or he could say that someone like Zach wilson is an ideal person to build an offense around a quick tempo play action scheme and is much better suited to do it that jimmy g ever was out there.

Then we will be in prime trade down territory as long as we understand how the draft will play out. Requires steel balls but can set us up with significant draft capital for a couple of years.

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They beat the Jets with half their starters injured & Garapolo playing on 1 leg. Oh, let me rephrase that they kicked the Jets azz in all 3 phases of NFL football with a bunch of backups all over the place! 

I can’t remember the last time the Jets out coached another team.   Seems like a dream.  

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i must have missed the trade of aaron donald to the niners...

yes, SF had a tough year this year.  they were ravaged by injuries/covid and played their 2nd and 3rd string QB most of the year.  almost their entire d-line was on the IR at some point, along with their starting QB, RB, top WRs and all pro TE.

it's odd you focus on a covid-ravaged 6-10 but ignore that they went to the super bowl last year.  if not for that extended playoff run, saleh very well would be a head coach already.  the guy is one of the hottest candidates on the market, that seemingly every team with an opening wants to talk to.  i can't say i know enough about him to properly opine, and i grant all this demand does not mean he will be successful.  but he seems like one of the top candidates out there

my bad.  it shows how much i follow west coast teams.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I assume everyone is talking about Matt LaFleur's BROTHER. Mike who is the SF Passing game coordinator.  He would be ok, but I think Mike McDaniel would be a stronger candidate for OC and currently serves as the run game coordinator.

Saleh would be an excellent hire, has been with a good HC for 3 years, and has always been praised for his leadership.

What about Mike’s brother, Matt McDaniel?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Dude darnold is the bottom ranked QB due a 25 million dollar extension in May. This is so backwards why wouldn’t he come in with a fresh start?

Holding onto Darnold for the 2021 NFL season costs the Jets an additional 5M.

You know that May is the deadline for Darnold's fifth year rookie contract (2022) option.

Trade or no trade, no NFL franchise on planet earth, including the Jets is picking up Darnold's fifth year option.  

Where ever Darnold plays, if he holds onto a starting job, if he manages to compete for a starting job elsewhere...Darnold will be playing out his rookie deal under his forth year contract in 2021 this upcoming season.

If Darnold is traded or cut , the Jets  will still be paying him 5M for the 2021 season.

If Darnold remains on the team for his final year in 2021, the jets are on the hook for the prorated bonus of 5M  plus a 5M  salary for 2021

January 2022 Darnold will be a free agent and will  

A. sign a new contract with an NFL team or

B. Go surfing a very rich man.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I don’t know why I have always had a bad feeling about him as a potential coach. Just a gut instinct.

seems like a great guy and I have absolutely nothing to base it on, just was always a “I have a bad feeling if we get him” kinda guy. 

Wouldn't say I have a bad feeling about Saleh, more curious as to why he seems to be more highly-rated than say Eberflus, who has had much less talent to work with. 

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The issue is that he is the favorite for the Detroit job (childhood team, the team wants him) and other teams are looking at him as well.   Even if we like him, i find it hard to believe JD wanting to be as thorough as possible would pass up opportunities to interview the other candidates he requested to sign him right away.  I am not sure he will still be around by the time we finish interviewing candidates next week.  I could be wrong however, just my gut feeling. 

Mac and Fredo Johnson are not running the search.  Douglas will stay on top of what’s happening with the other searches and if he finds his guy, he will make his move.