DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But you can't assume the QB we draft will be elite.  Not at all.  You're talking about something like a 20 % chance at best, with a 50 % bust rate and the other 30 % chance that he'll be good but nowhere near as good as Watson.  So you're right that it's not so simple to value a rookie QB that high.  

Watson >>>>> # 2 pick in value

Again he does not need to be elite. Besides you are taking Wilson only if you actually think the odds are much better than that AND as mentioned for the #2 pick they are. HISTORICALLY. It is directly related to the value of the pic. You are literally 3 times as likely to get a Pro Bowl player at #2 than #19. Is it a guarantee. No. But you could argue that the Jets as a team, might be better with James Morgan than with Watson and losing #2 and several other 1st rounders and high picks.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Again he does not need to be elite. Besides you are taking Wilson only if you actually think the odds are much better than that AND as mentioned for the #2 pick they are. HISTORICALLY. It is directly related to the value of the pic. You are literally 3 times as likely to get a Pro Bowl player at #2 than #19. Is it a guarantee. No. But you could argue that the Jets as a team, might be better with James Morgan than with Watson and losing #2 and several other 1st rounders and high picks.

But he would have to be pretty close to elite in order to justify not making this trade.  Merely being, say, a top 12 or so QB but not a top 7 or so QB would make that a bad decision.

Remember, Watson is only 25.  Meaning he will only continue to get better.  He may well end up having a HOF career.  Are you seriously suggesting that Zach Wilson alone would be worth passing up on that, regardless of how cheap he'll be on his rookie contract?

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think expecting the worst starting QB in the NFL the past three years to be a top 10 QB is quite likely a pipe dream.

He'll be better under someone not names Gase......but if he's ranked 23rd instead of 31st, is that really something to get excited about?

I've asked it now for years:  Is Sam Darnold a 4,500 yard, 30+ TD, >10 INT, 70%+ type of Quarterback? 

Do you really think that Sam is a top 10 QB just waiting to be given.......sigh.......time, and weapons?

32 minutes ago, pointman said:

I'm not trolling, honest question. Have you watched every game since Sam has been here? He is not good. System will help. Sure. He could do better. Sure. The other 31 teams aren't just sitting back and twiddling their thumbs. They watch and learn. Any improvement Sam makes, won't ever make him elite. And the other teams will adjust to his adjustments. I have zero confidence Sam ever becomes anything more than serviceable. He was dead last in several meaningful categories. And he failed the sheeet out of the eyeball test. People worried about him getting traded and being "fixed" by another team and him becoming successful.. aren't living in reality. The chances of that are about as good as Sam becoming a successful pass rusher. 

I have watched every game, although this past year, I did dip out on more than a few games by the fourth quarter. 

And to answer both of your questions at the same time - do I genuinely believe Sam will ever develop into a franchise quarterback at this point?

No, I don't. It could happen. I think we were historically bad in terms of talent + coaching the past three seasons, and he's only 23. But the most likely answer is that dude is done.

That being said, outside of Watson or Trevor Lawrence, I'm not crazy about any other options at that position this year, especially when our offense needs to add more talent - and a lot of it. 

I think the best option going forward, barring the Watson 'Han Solo showing up at the last possible moment during the final Death Star trench run' trade, is to continue the roster building process, roll with Sam for one more year and look to draft a quarterback next year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Shanahan is about to trade for Stafford, soooo so much for that theory.

Is that real or just a rumor?

And I think he was saying Shanahan needs an elite QB to win (just like any coach/system needs in today's NFL).  Not that he would pass on an elite QB because he can win with an average QB. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Difference is there are suddenly two draws to the Jets in Saleh and Watson. It's not nothing. You've got Allen Robinson repeatedly tweeting his approval of (the idea of) Watson to the Jets, weeks before reaching UFA status himself. The Jets - yes, with so much cap room - would have to be considered heavy favorites to land him. 

• But that's not it (or rather, it's not Robinson or just go with Perriman again). There are at least 4 high end WRs due to become UFAs in March and Robinson, while the best of them right now, is just one of them.
  • There are at least three high end iOL players due to become UFAs as well (Thuney Scherff, Linsley). The Jets could use one - ffs they could use two - but the truth is they aren't omg desperate to sign one. I take for granted that Watson buys himself more time than Darnold, especially with pressure up the middle given his pocket presence and how effortlessly he rolls out to still throw downfield or just tuck & run if there's nothing there. There are also others who could fill in for a year or two (possibly more) but depending on who you ask aren't as highly touted right now (Pouncey, L.Taylor, Andrews, Reiter, etc.).
  • Then they just need another body at RB who isn't nearly 40 years old. There's obvious coaching familiarity with Tevin Coleman, Carlos Hyde, and I guess McKinnon; none of whom will be a "top 3 or 4 FA" but one of them plus Perine & Johnson should suffice heading into the draft. 
  • I'd also like to see them add a TE just so the unreliable Herndon has some competition. This is a position they can put off more seriously till next year & could get by with Herndon and a still moderately productive veteran on his career downside (e.g. Cook) or a guy who's not a zero but hasn't nearly lived up to expectations (e.g. Everett).

Players love to 'approve' of the guys they want to play with and then their agent says this other team is offering an extra year and 5 million more in guaranteed money.

Every singe year we have cap space and every year we slobber over all the Fa who are going to make us great and most of them have been utter flops.  Best use of Fa is to add that one or two pieces once you have built a team.

We shall see, I'll be very  surprised if the jets end up with Robinson and even one of the oline guys.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

I have watched every game, although this past year, I did dip out on more than a few games by the fourth quarter. 

And to answer both of your questions at the same time - do I genuinely believe Sam will ever develop into a franchise quarterback at this point?

No, I don't. It could happen. I think we were historically bad in terms of talent + coaching the past three seasons, and he's only 23. But, the most likely answer is that dude is done.

That being said, outside of Watson or Trevor Lawrence, I'm not crazy about any other options at that position this year, especially when our offense needs to add more talent - and a lot of it. 

I think the best option going forward, barring the Watson 'Han Solo showing up at the last possible moment during the final Death Star trench run' trade, is to continue the roster building process, roll with Sam for one more year and look to draft a quarterback next year.

It really couldn't happen. 23 is young. 23 as a human who plays football suddenly taking a massive leap forward usually has shown flashes of exceptional ability. Sam is an old 23 by football standards. He isn't some youngster with a ton of QB pressures who is juuuust not getting to the QB on time. He is a flawed player lacking vision, pocket awareness, has poor accuracy, less than ideal motion, lacks arm strength, can't read a defense, has poor field vision, and just has too many holes with very few upside. We will never ever be champions with him being our starter. And I don't know about you, I am not watching to hope that we are just good and be happy Sam was the QB for a roster that somehow got to 9-7 every year. 

With talent comes other talent. Guys want to play with others that will elevate their game, that will get them wins. You think wide receivers and o linemen won't be telling their agents if its a toss up of playing with Sam here or with Mahomes in Kansas City 'take less and get me to Kansas City.. where is that by the way?' 

Sticking it out with Sam when you yourself have just stated he isn't really 'the man' is silly. This isn't the era of the Ravens that can win championships with murderers on defense and a bum at QB. Sam being the QB here just makes the roster suffer, us suffer, us lose more games, and talent void us like I avoid going to games at the Link (Eagles Lincoln Field).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joejet said:

What makes his argument worse is that 8 games they lost by 8 points or less, they won 4 games, and 4 games they lost by more than 8. They lost to Kansas City by 14, Baltimore by 17, Green Bay by 15, and they were clobbered by the Bears by 29 but Watson only threw for 219 in that game so he certainly wasn’t padding his stats in that game.

Oh god could you imagine the reaction around here if Sam had ONE of Watson’s games from last season? 

• Upvote 3

I like draft picks but a shot at a guy like Watson is worth selling the farm for. I'd keep Darnold as I think he will be one of the best backups before its done and if he has to come in for injury he'll show his stuff and get us some high draft picks back just like Jimmy G did for NE.

I'm a huge Sam fan but Watson instantly becomes the best QB in the division and is already 2nd in the league behind only Mahomes

• Upvote 1

So Watson asked for the trade weeks ago?

If true, that puts everything that has happened lately in a new light.

Did the Jets and Saleh know this when they both decided to work together?  Were all the tweets of Watson in the NY area his way of confirming he's coming here?

There's just way too much smoke here for there not to be a fire.

Watson was not hanging in Miami, Chicago, SF, or Carolina.

At this point you've gotta figure 70% or better chance Watson is our QB soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Michael Kay said he got a DM from a Houston media guy, saying that Watson’s “media manager” pushing him toward it due to the idea he can be the face of the franchise and the endorsement opportunities that NYC has.

He would be an absolute superstar in terms of endorsements and the talk of the town.  And if he wins here, he would be a legend forever; Treated like a god in NY.

4 minutes ago, Team archer said:

Its seems like its a bidding war for 70% of the league. I dont want the jets to overpay a crazy amount even though i love deshaun.

If we have to overpay, **** it man. It's been 50 years since we've had a franchise QB. We would still have enough to build around him.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Team archer said:

Its seems like its a bidding war for 70% of the league. I dont want the jets to overpay a crazy amount even though i love deshaun.

I think nearly every team will inquire, maybe 5 make offers, and then it will be down to 2 or 3 teams bidding. If Jets want him, they can get him. All gonna hinge on Douglas' appetite to lose picks or Watson to put his foot down.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Team archer said:

You forget Deshaun has to approve of the trade.

Just speculating, but he's probably only willing to go to 3 or 4 places that could offer a decent trade package.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Houston has a Lambourgini with no engine and no tires.

So they trade the lambourgini to the jets and it still has no tires and no engine because the money saved for those things was used to buy the Lambourgini.

How many more assets do we need once we have a franchise QB. We have huge FA dollars when hardly anyone else does, pretty much the same amount of picks as everyone else in the league even after giving up 2 #1s and probably more after we get a pick or two for Sam.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So Watson asked for the trade weeks ago?

If true, that puts everything that has happened lately in a new light.

Did the Jets and Saleh know this when they both decided to work together?  Were all the tweets of Watson in the NY area his way of confirming he's coming here?

There's just way too much smoke here for there not to be a fire.

Watson was not hanging in Miami, Chicago, SF, or Carolina.

At this point you've gotta figure 70% or better chance Watson is our QB soon.

Great insights and i fully agree 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, i sat at shea said:

GFYC

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Go fuk yourself, Caren? 

I just looked at this guy's post history.  About a quarter of his posts are him saying "GFYC".  The rest are a fun variety of personal attacks directed towards either SAR, DWC or T0mshane.  lol.  I must admit it's pretty humorous seeing one after the other....

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I just looked at this guy's post history.  About a quarter of his posts are him saying "GFYC".  The rest are a fun variety of personal attacks towards either SAR, DWC or T0mshane.  lol.  

Ahh thanks for the heads up. His back to back repeat posts gave him up. Sad. I like a good 'fuk off'. 

• Upvote 1