Multiple teams have contacted NYJ about Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Multiple teams inquiring about Darnold because he's 23, cheap and has potential. Most importantly he shuts his mouth and plays 

Watson is 25, expensive and has demands about how the team should be run. He's on the verge of a holdout and shooting his way out of town. 

Yes Watson is the guy who is better at football. He's also a high maintenance guy. 

The Jets get paid the same for wins and losses. They don't need to be hassled by qb1 making the most money in team history 

Fans see darnold as a problem but he's actually super low maintenance. Watson is someone else's problem, at least from the owner perspective. The last thing woody Johnson wants to do is talk to an employee about how he should run his business. Woody would rather lose for a decade straight than do that. And in fact he has done exactly that 

C'mon, man! ;) Watson is not a high maintenance guy. The Texans management deserves what they've gotten themselves into. This is just the last straw. Deshaun is a person any community would want to have. I didn't think Jamal was right, but this situation is very different and ex great Houston players can attest to that. Texans ownership is getting what they truly deserve. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

You have a PHD in bad takes.

If the filth you've been spewing for months were even remotely accurate, multiple teams would not be calling about Sam, or we would have already traded him for whatever they could get.

Just like Douglas was going to re-sign Jamal Adams?

I wasn't even predicting what was going to happen in that post, you disgusting creature.  I was saying what the Jets SHOULD do.  As usual, you take the wrong side of the argument.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How do you get there from "this" rumor? This is what was posted:

Teams that have no interest in trading their existing QBs don't call the Lions to inquire about their QB, then field calls about the existing one, then generate a buzz by leaking that multiple teams have already called in so far. 

They tend to leak nothing and tell every team - followed by a formal statement - that Darnold is not for sale & is one of the team's "untouchable" players.

This 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's unbelievable to me that Sam Darnold is a hot commodity.

Where is he an upgrade? 

Just because multiple teams are inquiring about Darnold doesn't mean he'll go for a 1st rounder.  All these calls may well be serving to up his value from a 4th rounder to a 3rd, for all we know.  I firmly believe he's viewed to be a project around the league, not someone who you acquire and say "OK, we're set at QB in 2021".  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

unless they think he can be a true system qb and is cheaper than alternatives, i just don't see it either.  

Sure but again, where?  I legit cant think of one team where he'd be an upgrade and if by chance he does fit this system,  you're going to have pay him very soon anyway.  Strange to me....like even the teams who are QB needy, I'd rather have their back ups.  lol   Colts - Brissett.  Saints - Winston.  I guess San Fran but when Jimmy G. is healthy, they're winning % is ridiculous...maybe as a backup?

idk - cant imagine anyone trading to start him and I cant imagine getting anything more then a 3rd/4th round pick.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just because multiple teams are inquiring about Darnold doesn't mean he'll go for a 1st rounder.  All these calls may well be serving to up his value from a 4th rounder to a 3rd, for all we know.  I firmly believe he's viewed to be a project around the league, not someone who you acquire and say "OK, we're set at QB in 2021".  

Oh, yeah, for sure....0% chance he goes for a 1st.  see my post above.

It may have been just to see what it costs...who knows, but I just cant see any team wanting to start Sam Darnold.  Maybe take a flier as a back up but start?  Only the Jets are dumb enough to do that all over again.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but again, where?  I legit cant think of one team where he'd be an upgrade and if by chance he does fit this system,  you're going to have pay him very soon anyway.  Strange to me....like even the teams who are QB needy, I'd rather have their back ups.  lol   Colts - Brissett.  Saints - Winston.  I guess San Fran but when Jimmy G. is healthy, they're winning % is ridiculous...maybe as a backup?

idk - cant imagine anyone trading to start him and I cant imagine getting anything more then a 3rd/4th round pick.

i'm with you, i think he's a marginal upgrade in most situations, but maybe teams figure they can use his mobility and get him on the cheap.  i think there's interest if he can be had cheap, in terms of draft capital.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

jeff george syndrome and egotistical coaches who believe they can be the one to “fix” him 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Multiple teams inquiring about Darnold because he's 23, cheap and has potential. Most importantly he shuts his mouth and plays 

Watson is 25, expensive and has demands about how the team should be run. He's on the verge of a holdout and shooting his way out of town. 

Yes Watson is the guy who is better at football. He's also a high maintenance guy. 

Watson has both some Revis and Jamal in him..:eek:

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

jeff george syndrome and egotistical coaches who believe they can be the one to “fix” him 

I guess and maybe they're thinking backup/or competition in camp.  Idk when I see "multiple" teams maybe that's just throwing me off, like he's a hot commodity or something.  idk.  He sucks, hope they can get something. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just like a few here (including myself) that see the Jets have done their absolute best to ruin the kid.  Definitely still legitimate hope for Sam.

Which is why I was very happy to keep Sam and finally build around him.

Watson is just too damn good to pass on though if really available. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's a good call.  Just take a year off and come back fresh in 2022.  Maybe go find Jeremy Bates and join him on the Appalachian Trail.  

50 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There may come a day when I don't turn on the game, but there will NEVER be a day when I change my allegiance. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I hear ya Munch. I have never turned off so many Jet games in my life. The most annoying thing about Darnold last year was his lack of ability to just make the SIMPLE PLAYS! Drove me nuts! And I had NFLGAMEDAY so I could go back, watch the all 22 & it just amazed me how little this guy developed in 2 years. 

It started right out of the gate in game 1 vs the Bills, we had 3 drives in a row, all 3 & outs where he was asked to hit a simple out pattern for 7/8 yards & he missed them all. 2nd & 3rd and long after that. It was maddening. Plus he lost his feel that he had as a rookie for taking an easy 8 yards with his feet, so he was totally discombobulated in his mind. Gase just sucks so bad & his scheme was horrible. Sam was freaking lost last year.

As fans of the Jets, it feels like we're all Aron Ralston, our lives hopelessly doomed by a boulder (the team), the climber/adventurer in movie 127 days.   How many times have we figuratively contemplated sawing off our limbs and moving on to another team?  Or just giving up watching altogether?  Yet, most of us continue under the massive weight of the boulder--somehow defying the medical certainty--surviving season after season.  Why, sweet Death, have you abandoned us?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Where is he an upgrade? 

I think the Jets might just be fortunate with good timing.

1) Old guard is retiring

2) Cap crunch forcing fringe playoff teams to maximize their windows.

3) Unlikely the top qb prospects in the draft make it past pick 10 and its harder to scout them because of Covid.

4) Jets might actually be helped by putting out a JV supporting cast the last two years and Adam Gase being a notoriously incompetent head coach.

That being said, i have no idea who even wants him. Probably a team that finds trading up or trading for Watson cost prohibitive. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Where is he an upgrade? 

It's the NFL "label" thing. Sam Darnold was number 1 on many if not most teams QB boards. He was drafted at #3 but was expected to go #1

He has the "high first round draft pick" label as well as the "potential FQB label"

Teams very much value their initial evaluations of players, so many teams will just think that Sam is a victim of horrible coaching but under "our better" coaching he will see his potential. I would not be shocked to see a first for Sam if there is a few teams involved.

Remember Sam Bradford?

He had the #1 pick in the draft label and was able to get several really big contracts despite being made of glass and really just being a complete JAG

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Stark said:

high maintenance... where you get this?

Texans first mistake was allowing a stupid trade of Hopkins and Watson finding out on social media. 

Then proceed to fire Billy O, which is not a bad move... however they come around to Watson and ask his opinion on coaches and tell him he's going to be involved.... only to not involve him. That is on the Texans. They should not have taken Watson to dinner and told him they want his input/value his opinion and then go dark.

Texans ownership and FO screwed it up. By all accounts, everywhere Watson is not what you are painting him to be. He is obviously frustrated and tired of being lied to. 

Can't blame him at all. Also factor in previous players from the organization backing Watson and casting the Texans FO as a sh!t show. Its pretty obvious who's to blame.

He signed this contract in September 2020. He's shooting his way out of Houston in January 21.

That's a pretty fast turnaround for a 30 million dollar dude to get unhappy 

The owners do not care about public relations. Woody wasn't even in the country for a while. They don't even care about winning. All they want is slow and steady paychecks from the TV deal 

At no point does trading for Watson make the Johnsons more money 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The fans care about the quality of the product. 

The owners don't. 

This is wrong but I doubt there's any point in debating it with you.  If you are willing to claim all owners don't care about winning, then you are a very lost lamb.  

Don't confuse ignorance and incompetence with indifference.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is wrong but I doubt there's any point in debating it with you.  If you are willing to claim all owners don't care about winning, then you are a very lost lamb.  

Don't confuse ignorance and incompetence with indifference.

There are degrees of caring. If we are talking in proportion to how much they care about money, it is absolutely a true statement that all owners don't care about winning.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

He signed this contract in September 2020. He's shooting his way out of Houston in January 21.

That's a pretty fast turnaround for a 30 million dollar dude to get unhappy 

The owners do not care about public relations. Woody wasn't even in the country for a while. They don't even care about winning. All they want is slow and steady paychecks from the TV deal 

At no point does trading for Watson make the Johnsons more money 

yeah he signed his contract in September. Its clear that you have not a single clue of anything that has been going on in Houston with the owner, FO, and team.  He isn't Jamal Adamsing himself out of Houston. Houston extended him and he was extremely grateful and then Houston went and did what they do and have done historically.

-----------------

he was already unhappy before he signed his extension... Hopkins trade. Houston offered his extension and of course he's going to sign it. what you think he would say. "uh, hold on guys $40 mil a year is great and all but..."

actually it would make the Johnsons more money. Watson would be the most marketable player on the team since I can remember. High character, team mates like him, media likes him would be all over every JETS advertisement in all media forms and markets. 

Just the initial injection of fanfare that comes with Watson increases the Johnson's bottom line. Not to mention the potential desire for other players to want to be here. JETS are already always in the news everywhere, its just for the wrong reasons. Add Watson and if he plays at only his current level the media alone is going to eat that up. Fans are going to buy his apparel, tickets, team paraphernalia. 

Oh and on top of all that the team would have a top 5 QB that is better than any qb in the draft and better than Sam. Jets have plenty of money and draft picks to build the team even with acquiring him. Therefore more wins. More wins = more eyes on the product = more primetime games... more $$$$$$

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That's called "due diligence"... Bill Walsh called the Colts about trading Joe Montana to acquire the rights to their 1st pick in the 1983 draft (1st overall) where the 49's would take John Elway... This, 1 season after Montana won SB XVI... ALL Successful Teams Test the Waters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

I guess and maybe they're thinking backup/or competition in camp.  Idk when I see "multiple" teams maybe that's just throwing me off, like he's a hot commodity or something.  idk.  He sucks, hope they can get something. 

Because I'm sure teams see the Jets situation and think, well, he had the worst coach ever along with not really providing much around him. So maybe if he comes here with our coach and our oline and WRs he'll turn out OK.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets get paid the same for wins and losses. They don't need to be hassled by qb1 making the most money in team history 

Fans see darnold as a problem but he's actually super low maintenance. Watson is someone else's problem, at least from the owner perspective. The last thing woody Johnson wants to do is talk to an employee about how he should run his business. Woody would rather lose for a decade straight than do that. And in fact he has done exactly that 

given that ownership isn't going to change - and your intense hatred for how they operate - you are torturing yourself by being a jet fan.  this is entertainment..  find a team and owner that provides this for you.