Texans hire “Character Coach”

Rhg1084

The craziest thing about Easterby is that he’s a Christian Minister that was brought in by the Pats in 2013 as the “character coach” after the Aaron Hernandez incident to help the players. Now he’s the head guy in charge for the Texans! Talk about a snake oil salesman this guy is lmao. And the owner, Cal McNair, has to be one of the worst owners in football! 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The craziest thing about Easterby is that he’s a Christian Minister that was brought in by the Pats in 2013 as the “character coach” after the Aaron Hernandez incident to help the players. Now he’s the head guy in charge for the Texans! Talk about a snake oil salesman this guy is lmao. And the owner, Cal McNair, has to be one of the worst owners in football! 

What happened to the Patriots - character-wise - after Hernandez? I mean, Hernandez was already there & was who he was, and it’d have taken more than a character coach to change him. Plus was anyone really going to predict murder, to the point a coach should have seen that coming?

I don’t know how this will end - better or worse - for them. But I’ll be watching with my bucket of popcorn like many others lol. I tend to think it’ll be a notable positive that does have a positive influence or it’ll be a stupid flop with the players tuning him out.

Anyway using faith to stay on the stright & narrow isn’t my thing, but it is for a lot of players in the league. It’s just a guess, but as such my guess would be more players in the league are churchgoers than not. You might roll your eyes at it, but that doesn’t mean they do.

Easterby or McNair may be too sucky in their respective positions to overcome. At some point the team needs smart player acquisition & smart football coaching. Admittedly I’m a skeptic who thinks that doesn’t get solved with the power of positive thought or faith. All the well-meaning decisions (assuming that coincides with well-meaning as they see it) won’t erase poor judgment in drafting, other player acquisition, and coaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anyway using faith to stay on the stright & narrow isn’t my thing, but it is for a lot of players in the league. It’s just a guess, but as such my guess would be more players in the league are churchgoers than not. You might roll your eyes at it, but that doesn’t mean they do.

American life is largely based on puritanical Christian principles. Even those that aren't card carrying Christians live their lives according to 'Judeo Christian' values. 

The NFL is basically just a reflection of American society. Keep in mind that a lot of these players are from the south and Midwest, this is what they grew up up with. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Can't quite put my finger on it.

Hysterical - great post.

The thing to remember is that Watson only has $10.5 million in pay this season after making $29 million last year (signing bonus for this contract).  Im not saying it would be easy to walk away from as a regular person, but given his overall situation, walking away from one year at $10 million to force your way out of what is clearly an absurd situation when you have four years after that of $35, $20, $32 and $32 million coming to you, is great leverage.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What happened to the Patriots - character-wise - after Hernandez? I mean, Hernandez was already there & was who he was, and it’d have taken more than a character coach to change him. Plus was anyone really going to predict murder, to the point a coach should have seen that coming?

I don’t know how this will end - better or worse - for them. But I’ll be watching with my bucket of popcorn like many others lol. I tend to think it’ll be a notable positive that does have a positive influence or it’ll be a stupid flop with the players tuning him out.

Easterby or McNair may be too sucky in their respective positions to overcome. At some point the team needs smart player acquisition & smart football coaching. Admittedly I’m a skeptic who thinks that doesn’t get solved with the power of positive thought or faith. All the well-meaning decisions (assuming that coincides with well-meaning as they see it) won’t erase poor judgment in drafting, other player acquisition, and coaching.

While I dont disagree that many players are heavily into faith, church, I think there is a big difference between going to Church willingly as part of your personal life vs your employer becoming a psuedo-church and forcing people into this kind of stuff.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While I dont disagree that many players are heavily into faith, church, I think there is a big difference between going to Church willingly as part of your personal life vs your employer becoming a psuedo-church and forcing people into this kind of stuff.

I think it's most of them, not merely many.

Just because it's not your thing (nor mine either) doesn't therefore mean players view this negatively. I tend to think the opposite. Likewise, I also don’t expect it’ll go over so great with everyone, and IMO it’s not exactly team-building to make individuals on it (perhaps some of their better players) feel like they’re outsiders who aren’t fully part of it.

I'd like to take this time to say I've already had to remove a nasty post here. It's one thing to discuss this as an NFL news topic or how the players might or might not respond. It's quite another to make bigoted remarks about someone’s religion.

Believe or disbelieve what you want; it’s none of my business & I don’t care what anyone here believes. But this website isn’t the place to detail or brag how negatively (nor how positively) you feel about a religion - one that’s frankly shared by a good many (and perhaps most) people here - no matter how strongly you feel it’s a thing to be mocked or derided. Do that on your own time if that’s your thing; just not here. 

This shouldn’t need to be a thread/topic that has to get closed.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's most of them, not merely many.

Just because it's not your thing (nor mine either) doesn't therefore mean players view this negatively. I tend to think the opposite. Likewise, I also don’t expect it’ll go over so great with everyone, and IMO it’s not exactly team-building to make individuals on it (perhaps some of their better players) feel like they’re outsiders who aren’t fully part of it.

It feels like a huge leap to say that many players are “religious” and also that those players would really like their otherwise terrible boss to make “religion” a foundational part of their workplace practices.

• Upvote 1

and?  so the texans hire a character coach.  does the guy do bugs bunny imitations?i don't know what's going on with the texans but maybe the jets needed one in 2016 when geno/hitman et al tore the team apart, at least in my opinion.  and then there are guys like wilky who certainly didn't have a lot of character once he signed his big contract.

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It feels like a huge leap to say that many players are “religious” and also that those players would really like their otherwise terrible boss to make “religion” a foundational part of their workplace practices.

Yep, and I’m not saying it is; I’m saying I don’t know how that’ll go over with them.

I don’t think it’d make most players as uncomfortable - let’s use that word ;) - as it’d make you (or me, for that matter) to have prayer sessions at work.

This is also a group - I’m talking about the players here - who foster an environment that still makes coming out still a big deal. You think there are zero gay NFL players? I don’t. Meanwhile the last - and to my knowledge, the only - active one who’s openly outed himself was Michael Sam and that’s 7 years ago already. Sadly it’s my guess that it’s still a big no-no if a gay player values his career, no matter what type of special, positive media treatment he’s guaranteed to get in the short term. So being straight sure seems like a foundational part of their workplace practices, no matter how irrelevant it is to the game.

One thing doesn’t therefore mean the other, of course, but for many there’s an obvious overlap. When it comes to tolerance of what others are, I think you’re giving a good amount of still-undue credit to NFL players as a group. 

But admittedly, it’s just a guess. I’ve spent zero time in an NFL locker room. So unless any recent ex-players want to chime in, maybe ask JW where the Porky’s shower hole is to find out what he’s overheard.

• Upvote 1

Actually having a guy that can talk to players going through different difficulties and challenges is not the worst idea in the world.  As a player, it would be nice to have resource in house.  I agree that since it’s an Easterby move, it comes with a degree of faux motivational Christianity and has a certain creep factor.  I also don’t love the title of the position.  But the concept isn’t the worst thing.

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile, Easterby is out here firing the equipment manager and PR lady cause they’re not “cultural fits”.  Seems to be that the Texans definitely have a certain “culture” they are trying to promote. JJ Watt is not happy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1