Pats bring back Cam Newton on 1 year deal

• Patriots re-signed Cam Newton to a one-year contract worth around $14 million. 

It marks a huge increase over the $1.1 million the veteran made with the Patriots in 2020. Newton's first year with the Patriots was an unmitigated disaster, thanks largely to the circumstances of the NFL's COVID-19 season. Newton, who had to learn a new offense in a shortened offseason program, said he never recovered from missing multiple weeks on the COVID list following a promising start to the year. "I was behind and I was thinking too much," Newton said in February. “The offense kept going and I was stagnant for two weeks." Newton's return to New England seemed possible after the Boston Globe reported in February that head coach Bill Belichick had "done nothing but rave" about Newton. The team adopted a massively run-heavy offense with Newton under center, resulting in a shockingly low eight touchdown passes in 15 games for Newton (to go along with 10 interceptions). The Pats are reportedly interested in drafting one of the top QBs available in this spring's NFL Draft -- an essential move since they clearly see Newton as a bridge quarterback. 

Mar 12, 2021, 8:24 AM ET

•  
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

1 million heads exploding in New England right now, I can tell you for a fact the majority of the fan base didn’t want cam back

??????

Cam is the skid mark on the underpants of the Patriots.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Best news, ever.

This also means that Jimmy G is staying in San Francisco.  So the worry now is the Dolphins.  Gotta pray they stick with Fitztua.

SAR I

Smart $ says they go QB. All this BS lately from them talking up Tua is just that. They know they picked a lemon.

Wild that the Pats just spent $14M in cap space on cam and the bucs just saved $19M in cap space on tom brady.  "Tom Brady cheat code on the cap because his wife is one of the richest women in the world asterisk" on every one of his championships.  If he was really the GOAT he could win taking up 20% of his team's cap.

/s

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

No chance he makes it to 15, and I struggle to see Belichick spending the draft capital to move into the top 8.

They have 9 picks in this draft.  I can definitely see them doing this or waiting for either Fields, Jones or Lance to fall to them.   I believe you can now trade using comp picks.