***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

I would argue, yes, injury assessment and projection should be a part of the draft scouting process.

At what point do you stop chalking it up to "bad luck" and start pointing the finger at poor evaluation and process?

as long as you can point to the flaw in the process that would have identified guys were going to get injured, ok. seems like you need a crystal ball to me.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

He got hurt. That’s not a mistake 

JD was the mistake. Imagine if we had a gm who could build an average to slightly above average OL? Rodgers would be killing it.  likely would not have gotten hurt if brown was in there ( he shouldn’t have been ). It’s no coincidence jets and giants had the worst OLines in NFL, and both lose their starting qbs early in the season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

as long as you can point to the flaw in the process that would have identified guys were going to get injured, ok. seems like you need a crystal ball to me.

I'm not privy to the inner workings of the draft scouting and evaluation process. I don't believe it's particularly realistic to expect a layperson on the couch to point out the flaw of a very intricate process.

But lots of people get paid lots of money to figure these things out. Other teams get the job done more or less.  At some point it's not coincidence and bad luck anymore. Something is broken.

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He doing the exact ssme drugs that brady did.  The achilles is a freak thing.  No amount of testosterone or hgh will prevent that.

Brady was doing like stem cells from Germany and experimental what not 

He's the greatest cheater of all time 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

with the offensive line they trotted out in front of Rodgers.. you just needed eyes. 

the o-line was starting to look pretty good before AVT got injured and then the rash of injuries that followed. 

I don't fault the o-line for the Rodgers injury. The play called for a cut block and he held it too long.

15 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm not privy to the inner workings of the draft scouting and evaluation process. I don't believe it's particularly realistic to expect a layperson on the couch to point out the flaw of a very intricate process.

But lots of people get paid lots of money to figure these things out. Other teams get the job done more or less.  At some point it's not coincidence and bad luck anymore. Something is broken.

the problem with that thought process is you're advocating for firing someone for what you're calling a flawed process but have no idea what would resolve it. so you're likely to hire someone else doing the same exact things.

there is also the fact that injuries are random.

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It seems “broken” because they didn’t try and fix it. 

They’re relied on two unreliable tackles in Brown and Becton and paid for it. Brown went down and caused the whole shuffle. Which is a problem in itself. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the problem with that thought process is you're advocating for firing someone for what you're calling a flawed process but have no idea what would resolve it. so you're likely to hire someone else doing the same exact things.

there is also the fact that injuries are random.

The alternative is "I don't know what's broken so I'm just going to continue with the same failing staff and processes."

Injuries are somewhat random. Continually drafting and signing players over a sample size of multiple years who regularly get hurt higher than league average rates is not random.

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The alternative is "I don't know what's broken so I'm just going to continue with the same failing staff and processes."

Injuries are somewhat random. Continually drafting and signing players over a sample size of multiple years who regularly get hurt higher than league average rates is not random.

the guy put together a high end defense that doesn't seem to have the injury problem that you're blaming the process for. Strange how the process only seems to impact the o-line. Or maybe it's random.

• Sympathy 1

Douglas used 1st round picks on a QB, LT and ER none of whom have contributed a thing, in fact the first two are busts.

His only successful 2nd round pick is Breece Hall, who 75% of this board said we should take.

GW and Sauce were excellent picks but also no brainers. (Not to mention the Texans gifted us Sauce Gardner)

FA record and OL construction have been awful.

I’m not going to look it up but his W/L record is a joke. 24-51, I think?

Explain to me why this guy shouldn’t be let go at the end of the season?

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the guy put together a high end defense that doesn't seem to have the injury problem that you're blaming the process for. Strange how the process only seems to impact the o-line. Or maybe it's random.

Riddle me this Barry… What good is a high end defense when he combined it with an all-time level fiasco of an offense this year and a miserable one throughout his tenure?

Do you honestly believe we’re going to fix the OL, rebuild the WR corps all in one offseason and then be lead to a division crown and/or playoff success by a 40yo QB coming off a missed season due to a ruptured Achilles tendon?

5+ years into his stint as GM we’re still a bottom third tier team.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Riddle me this Barry… What good is a high end defense when he combined it with an all-time level fiasco of an offense this year and a miserable one throughout his tenure?

Do you honestly believe we’re going to fix the OL, rebuild the WR corps all in one offseason and then be lead to a division crown and/or playoff success by a 40yo QB coming off a missed season due to a ruptured Achilles tendon?

5+ years into his stint as GM we’re still a bottom third tier team.

The o-line has had awful luck with injures the last 2 years, We were on our 4th string LT and 5th string RG today ffs. The QB he drafted sucks, then the QB he traded for got injured. You don't lure in a 1st ballot HOF QB w/a trash roster. 

I want to see what this offense looks like with a relatively healthy o-line and the QB he traded for.

There are a lot of whiffs but he's done a lot of good things as a GM. I don't think it's likely Woody Johnson hires someone better than him.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I actually agree with this that Douglas has managed to put together a good defence, albeit he spent a lot of money on Carl Lawson for not much return (probably affected by injury). Taking the Jets' official depth chart on defence from their website:

Edge: Jermaine Johnson (Douglas draft), Carl Lawson (Douglas free agent signing), Will McDonald IV (Douglas draft)

DL: Quinton Jefferson (Douglas free agent signing), Solomon Thomas (Douglas free agent signing)

DL: Quinnen Williams (Maccagnan draft; Douglas extension), Solomon Thomas

Edge: John Franklin-Myers (Douglas waiver claim in 2019), Micheal Clemons (Douglas draft), Bryce Huff (UDFA signed by Douglas)

LB: Jamien Sherwood (Douglas draft), Zaire Barnes (Douglas draft)

LB: C.J. Mosley (Maccagnan free agent signing), Sam Eguavoen (Douglas free agent signing)

LB: Quincy Williams (Douglas waiver claim in 2021), Chazz Surratt (Douglas free agent signing)

NB: Michael Carter II (Douglas draft), Brandin Echols (Douglas draft)

CB: Ahmed "Sauce" Gardner (Douglas draft), Bryce Hall (Douglas draft)

CB: D.J. Reed (Douglas free agent), Brandin Echols (Douglas draft), Jarrick Bernard-Converse (Douglas draft)

S: Jordan Whitehead (Douglas free agent), Ashtyn Davis (Douglas draft)

S: Tony Adams (Douglas free agent signing), Adrian Amos (Douglas free agent signing)

Only two hold-overs from the Maccagnan days - Quinnen Williams and C.J. Mosley.

On 11/20/2023 at 12:10 AM, Aussie Jet said:

I actually agree with this that Douglas has managed to put together a good defence, albeit he spent a lot of money on Carl Lawson for not much return (probably affected by injury). Taking the Jets' official depth chart on defence from their website:

Edge: Jermaine Johnson (Douglas draft), Carl Lawson (Douglas free agent signing), Will McDonald IV (Douglas draft)

DL: Quinton Jefferson (Douglas free agent signing), Solomon Thomas (Douglas free agent signing)

DL: Quinnen Williams (Maccagnan draft; Douglas extension), Solomon Thomas

Edge: John Franklin-Myers (Douglas waiver claim in 2019), Micheal Clemons (Douglas draft), Bryce Huff (UDFA signed by Douglas)

LB: Jamien Sherwood (Douglas draft), Zaire Barnes (Douglas draft)

LB: C.J. Mosley (Maccagnan free agent signing), Sam Eguavoen (Douglas free agent signing)

LB: Quincy Williams (Douglas waiver claim in 2021), Chazz Surratt (Douglas free agent signing)

NB: Michael Carter II (Douglas draft), Brandin Echols (Douglas draft)

CB: Ahmed "Sauce" Gardner (Douglas draft), Bryce Hall (Douglas draft)

CB: D.J. Reed (Douglas free agent), Brandin Echols (Douglas draft), Jarrick Bernard-Converse (Douglas draft)

S: Jordan Whitehead (Douglas free agent), Ashtyn Davis (Douglas draft)

S: Tony Adams (Douglas free agent signing), Adrian Amos (Douglas free agent signing)

Only two hold-overs from the Maccagnan days - Quinnen Williams and C.J. Mosley.

Key word for me in this post is good when describing the defense

they are not great, elite or in any way the 85 bears

tgry give up way too many 3rd down conversions and game after game stupid undisciplined penalties

The offense had been so horrifically bad that I think we credit the defense a bit too much

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Joe Douglas had a new record in his sights and he is bearing down in it fast.

He will pass Bigg Macc total games he was the GM, in just losses!

Joe Douglas losses: 53

Mike Maccagnan total games: 64

And both with only 24 wins!

Here is a guy with a worse overall record than Mac with more games under his belt and his seat is supposedly not red hot.  Unbelievable!

• Upvote 3

On 11/20/2023 at 6:59 AM, DoubleDown said:

I would argue, yes, injury assessment and projection should be a part of the draft scouting process.

At what point do you stop chalking it up to "bad luck" and start pointing the finger at poor evaluation and process?

Not to mention training & conditioning or even technique…even the quality of playing surfaces…basic preparation and readiness, all can be a factor in injuries and all are part of the remit of an NFL GM to ensure the best possible outcomes and that the players in your building can stay on the field …in fairness to Douglas our injury situation has been out of hand for so long it pre-dates him, but it’s still on him to rectify that as best as possible, it can’t  all be down to bad luck 

8 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Joe Douglas had a new record in his sights and he is bearing down in it fast.

He will pass Bigg Macc total games he was the GM, in just losses!

Joe Douglas losses: 53

Mike Maccagnan total games: 64

And both with only 24 wins!

Wow….at least Maccagnan had that 2015 season where we were actually competitive and competent 

• Upvote 1