Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Don't be surprised to hear that the Jets had a few offers out on the receivers, but Corey Davis was the first to accept. Apparently there was a lot of differing opinions on how the WRs should be ranked. I'm still holding out hope that they will add Curtis Samuel. 

After signing Davis, if they added Samuel, I assume they cut Crowder, no?

Just to address the 50 people in this thread that keep mentioning it. This offense doesnt have a #1 really. Each WR will play all three positions in order to create mismatches. Someone will obviously lead the WRs over the course of the year - but this isnt a situation where they will has the same guy lining up in the X position every snap.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Don't be surprised to hear that the Jets had a few offers out on the receivers, but Corey Davis was the first to accept. Apparently there was a lot of differing opinions on how the WRs should be ranked. I'm still holding out hope that they will add Curtis Samuel. 

I know it might be weird to double up on a FA WR, especially with crowder but Samuel is more of a hybrid player who actually meshes well with a group of Crowder, Mims and Davis.  Would love to have samuel here.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Just to address the 50 people in this thread that keep mentioning it. This offense doesnt have a #1 really. Each WR will play all three positions in order to create mismatches. Someone will obviously lead the WRs over the course of the year - but this isnt a situation where they will has the same guy lining up in the X position every snap.

Great point.  Another available pass catcher that might make sense is Hunter Henry.  Don't need a "true #1" if every guy out in the route is a legitimate threat.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

pff.com

BIGGEST STOCK RISERS IN 2020

WR Corey Davis, Tennessee Titans

The Tennessee Titans are once again deeply regretting their fifth-year option decision on a former first-round pick. Last offseason, the Titans elected to decline the fifth-year option for 2016 No. 8 overall pick Jack Conklin. The right tackle had a career year and signed a sizable deal with the Cleveland Browns.

Flash forward to the 2020 offseason, and 2017 No. 5 overall pick Corey Davis had his option declined, as well. Davis isn’t just having a career year compared to his own prior seasons, he’s having a career year at the wide receiver position, period. His 89.5 offensive grade ranks third in the NFL among wide receivers, and his 90.8 receiving grade on snaps lined up out wide is the best mark in the league.

After much discussion of Davis converting to more of a slot wide receiver, he’s excelled in the “Z” role as the outside wide receiver off the line of scrimmage. He’s been dominating on in-breaking routes and crossers all year because defenders can’t get a hand on him to jam him at the line, and he’s obviously a great athlete in space considering he was a top-five pick.

Tennessee may try to work out an extension, but A.J. Brown will be eligible for an extension after 2021 and will probably be looking for $20M per year at a minimum. That could be on the Titans' mind as they set their price point for Davis.

PFN rankings:

Top NFL free-agent wide receivers in 2021

1) Kenny Golladay, Detroit Lions
2) Will Fuller, Houston Texans
3) Corey Davis, Tennessee Titans
4) Curtis Samuel, Carolina Panthers
5) JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
6) T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts
7) Nelson Agholor — reportedly agreed to a two-year, $26 million with the New England Patriots.
? Rashard Higgins, Cleveland Browns
9) Antonio Brown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
10) Marvin Jones Jr., Detroit Lions

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Well, okay.

Good player at a major position of need.

Smelling more and more like the Jets are keeping Darnold.

Now sign a legit EDGE and trade down, add to your assortment of picks and still take a guy like Slater in the Top 10.

How does this mean anything for darnold? They needs wrs for a rookie qb also. Lmao 

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

AJ Brown got the heat last year, made it easier for Davis. Won't happen on the Jets.

Davis put up similar numbers in 2018 when he was the #1 option across from Taywan Taylor and Tajae Sharpe.  65-980-5 last year with Tannehill and 65-891-4 in 2018 with Mariota.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Agreed.  Too many fans obsessed with a “number 1 receiver”. I’d rather just have a real good overall corps 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1