Jets sign WR Corey Davis from Titans

The guy was drafted 5th overall however many years back. That may not mean much but it does show that this guy had some impressive tools coming out of college. Last year he finally started to show some life. Maybe a late bloomer? I like the upside here and he was a big part of the Titans offense last season. The kind of guy that can take a short route and turn it into a TD. Could be a nice option in this née offense. I like the price, I like the signing. 

• Sympathy 1

Just my two bits but to all the cut Crowder guys, isn't this the reason why Darnold sucked in the first place?

Let's get rid of the last guy he had chemistry with? New head coach, new offensive system, new wide receivers new running backs every year.

Still no O'line 

Yep... Status quo!

Sorry Sam...

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

After signing Davis, if they added Samuel, I assume they cut Crowder, no?

I don't understand the obsession with cutting crowder, but even with all 3 of them, they'd probably only be looking at 20% of the cap going to those guys. That doesn't seem crazy for your "whole WR" group. If you want to throw in the 1-2 mill Mims is making as well, go ahead. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Just my two bits but to all the cut Crowder guys, isn't this the reason why Darnold sucked in the first place?

Let's get rid of the last guy he had chemistry with? New head coach, new offensive system, new wide receivers new running backs every year.

Still no O'line 

Yep... Status quo!

Sorry Sam...

Yeah, don't get the folks who constantly want to get rid of good players. It's OK to have more than 1 good WR, people.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

How does this mean anything for darnold? They needs wrs for a rookie qb also. Lmao 

If the Jets were committed to taking a young QB at #2...why wouldn’t you be willing to go the extra mile to land a Joe Thuney or Corey Linsley?

The current OL is below average at best. And who are you bringing in at this point who would be even a moderate upgrade?

Are you going to cut George Fant just to bring in what could be a slight upgrade in Riley Reiff?

Do you think that someone like Nick Martin is enough of an upgrade over Connor McGovern to warrant signing and then sliding McGovern over to RG?

Can the Jets rely on someone like Alijah-Vera Tucker falling to #23?

I’m sorry, but I’m not nearly as sold on dudes like Zach Wilson and Justin Fields like many of you are.

Fields felt the need to transfer to Ohio State after he couldn’t beat out a 5th round, career gamemanager like Jake Fromm and Zach Wilson is a narrow shouldered Amanda Bearse whose 2019 season in college looks a helluva lot like Sam Darnold’s 2020 season in the pros.

Hell, forget the potential trade down, after today’s news of both Thuney and Linsley going elsewhere...I’m even more on the Penei Sewell bandwagon than I’ve ever been.

And for the people who want to scream about “omg what about when they need to be paid and they both want franchise LT money?!”

I say stuff that sh*t in a sack and worry about it half a decade from now.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s not a horrible signing, but JD certainly has a hard on for former first round reclamation projects.   Now he needs to find this offense some speed at the receiver position.  

I mean he's a JAG. Pedigree you could say is there as a former first rounder, but he's just been kind of a meh player. It's an upgrade for the Jets as their receiver depth stinks, but expecting Corey Davis to be some playmaker just isnt realistic.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hm. I really would have preferred that random offensive lineman whom I couldn’t pick out of a police lineup who played for a team whose quarterback got the ball out quickly on a consistent basis, but I guess this will do. 

**** lineman Corey Davis is lit I picked him up on waivers in fantasy football once.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I mean he's a JAG. Pedigree you could say is there as a former first rounder, but he's just been kind of a meh player. It's an upgrade for the Jets as their receiver depth stinks, but expecting Corey Davis to be some playmaker just isnt realistic.

That’s the spirit. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I don't understand the obsession with cutting crowder, but even with all 3 of them, they'd probably only be looking at 20% of the cap going to those guys. That doesn't seem crazy for your "whole WR" group. If you want to throw in the 1-2 mill Mims is making as well, go ahead. 

It's not obsession, I'm just curious what the Jets are thinking/how much they're willing to allocate to vet receivers and @football guy has the 'sauces'. 

Sounds like a locker room leader.  Douglas looking to build this locker room/culture with veteran leadership.

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/news/wr-corey-davis-grew-as-a-player-and-a-leader-for-the-titans-in-2018

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Corey Davis more than doubled his rookie total in receiving yards in 2018, during a season when all of his numbers jumped by a wide margin.

The Titans receiver made game-winning catches, and also proved he could stay healthy for all 16 games.

Another positive for Davis: Teammates and coaches say he developed into a quiet leader.

"He is the guy who sets the tone for the room," Titans receivers coach Rob Moore said of Davis. "It is a responsibility he is growing into, being a young player. But Corey regularly does the things we ask him to do as far as being accountable.

"... Corey is driven, and he is passionate about getting every ounce of ability out of himself and he wants to help others do the same."

Davis, the fifth overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, finished the 2018 season with 65 catches for 891 yards and four touchdowns. He caught the game-winning touchdown in overtime in the team's win over the Eagles, and he caught another game-winning touchdown pass in the team's win over the Jets.

Davis led the team in catches, receiving yards, and touchdowns, and his 13.7-yard average per catch led all receivers.

Along the way, Davis helped set a tone in the classroom, and the practice field.

"He's our leader in the room," receiver Taywan Taylor said of Davis. "He's the one bringing us together. … He's always carried himself like a professional, and he's someone I look up to as a brother, as a teammate."

Titans receiver Tajae Sharpe said Davis is an encourager, and a student of the game.

"He picks out certain things, and certain things he sees from defenses, and shares them with the rest of the group," Sharpe said.

As Davis wrapped up his second NFL season, he acknowledged he's tried to do more.

During the 2018 season, the team's receivers were young, from second-year players like Davis, Taylor and Darius Jennings to Sharpe, who was in his third season (including one year spent on Injured Reserve). Cameron Batson was a rookie.

Davis knows more will be counted on him moving forward, heading into Year 3.

"I am not very vocal; I don't really say much," Davis said. "But a lot of times it is not really about that. I need to get out of my comfort zone to help the team. That's what it's about, helping others, and I try to take it upon myself.

"I'm not a cheerleader, but I'll encourage a guy, talk to him, whatever it may be. A lot of the guys do the same thing."

Davis credited veteran receiver Harry Douglas for helping show him the way when he first entered the NFL.

It made an impact on him.

"Harry helped me not only in football, but life, family, and how to handle things," Davis said. "I was a rookie, and didn't really know much. So he took me under his wing and helped me out a lot.

"So anything I can do to help a guy, I'm willing to do."