Jets Sign LB DelShawn Phillips

3 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

The Jets have signed first-year free agent linebacker Del'Shawn Phillips.

Phillips (6-2, 230) was signed as an undrafted free agent by Atlanta after the 2019 NFL Draft but was a final cut in late August. He then was signed to Buffalo's practice squad in October, signed a reserve/future contract with the Bills in January 2020, and made his pro debut in the Bills' opener against the Jets last September. He suffered a quadriceps injury in that game and twice went on injured reserve. Buffalo waived him on Jan. 19. He played in only two NFL games, all 14 of his snaps coming on special teams.

Phillips traveled an interesting collegiate route to get to the NFL. Coming out of Cass Tech in Detroit, he had committed to play at Western Michigan but was ruled academically ineligible. After spending a year away from football and taking community college courses online, he enrolled at Garden City (KS) CC, where he emerged on defense with 7.0 sacks as a freshman and 95 tackles as a sophomore to help the Broncbusters win the 2016 NJCAA national championship.

After committing to transfer to Arizona for his last two seasons of college ball, Phillips sight-adjusted for the University of Illinois. He led the Illini in tackles in both 2017 and 2018 and also led the defense in '18 with four interceptions. After beginning his senior season being voted a team captain, he ended it with All-Big Ten honorable mention recognition.

Was about to post, "Who the "f" is Del'shawn Phillips?"  No I don't have to.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Someone help me out....who is he

9 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Phillips (6-2, 230) was signed as an undrafted free agent by Atlanta after the 2019 NFL Draft but was a final cut in late August. He then was signed to Buffalo's practice squad in October, signed a reserve/future contract with the Bills in January 2020, and made his pro debut in the Bills' opener against the Jets last September. He suffered a quadriceps injury in that game and twice went on injured reserve. Buffalo waived him on Jan. 19. He played in only two NFL games, all 14 of his snaps coming on special teams.

Phillips traveled an interesting collegiate route to get to the NFL. Coming out of Cass Tech in Detroit, he had committed to play at Western Michigan but was ruled academically ineligible. After spending a year away from football and taking community college courses online, he enrolled at Garden City (KS) CC, where he emerged on defense with 7.0 sacks as a freshman and 95 tackles as a sophomore to help the Broncbusters win the 2016 NJCAA national championship.

After committing to transfer to Arizona for his last two seasons of college ball, Phillips sight-adjusted for the University of Illinois. He led the Illini in tackles in both 2017 and 2018 and also led the defense in '18 with four interceptions. After beginning his senior season being voted a team captain, he ended it with All-Big Ten honorable mention recognition.

11 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

This reads like a primer on "Who Not to Sign If You're An NFL GM". 

• Haha 2

Del'Shawn Phillips shines with 'big-time' Pro Day performance

ByISAAC TROTTER Mar 12, 2019

CHAMPAIGN – Monday was a big day for Del'Shawn Phillips. It was his chance to shine in front of 29 NFL representatives at the Illinois Pro Day.

Phillips wasn’t nervous. He was cool, calm and collected and went out and had a terrific day. Phillips ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds according to one scout in attendance. After Phillips’ run, the Illinois coaching staff was pumping their fists and congratulating their linebacker.

“That was big-time,” Phillips said. “That was one of my goals getting a 4.5, keeping a 4.5. I’ve ran it before, but I wanted to maintain it for Pro Day, so that was big-time for me.”

Phillips’ time would’ve ranked 11th among linebackers at the 2019 NFL Combine. Phillips was one of seven former Illini to get after it on Monday. Not only did he have the best 40-yard dash, but Phillips finished first in the vertical jump (37 inches) and the broad jump (10 feet, 1 inch).

Phillips’ impressive 37-inch vertical would’ve ranked eighth at the NFL Combine. Phillips also cranked out 20 reps at 225 on the bench press, second to Nick Allegretti’s 22 reps.

“I didn’t hit all my goals, but it was a solid day for me,” Phillips said. “I am grateful for the day I had.”

For the past couple of months, Phillips has been training with Miami-based trainer Pete Bommarito. He maintained his weight at 225 pounds and stripped off fat thanks to a strict diet of rice and vegetables.

It all paid off on Monday.

“Lot of (scouts) like my speed and the way I move out there,” Phillips said. “Lot of scouts told me I was fluid, and they obviously liked my 40 time. That was big. I put a lot of work into that.”

Just a couple years ago, Phillips was toiling in junior college football. Now, he’s in position to land on an NFL roster. Lovie Smith gave him the opportunity to play Big Ten football, and Phillips took advantage. During his two-year stint at Illinois, Phillips racked up 180 tackles. Phillips led the Illini with four interceptions last fall and was named honorable mention All-Big Ten.

“These guys taught us what it is to be a professional,” Phillips said. “Not just in the NFL, but professional at life. How to care about others. That grew me as a man, so I’m appreciative of that.”

Next step for Phillips is a heavy dose of film plus time in the weight room. He will also seek out mentors to get advice about the transition to the NFL.

The 2019 NFL Draft will take place on April 25-27 in Nashville. Phillips has an outside chance to get drafted in the later rounds, but it’s most likely that he’d sign with a team as an undrafted free agent and have a chance to compete in training camp.

5COMMENTS

What makes him different than the rest of the linebackers?

“I’m just fearless as a competitor,” Phillips said. “I always want to win. If it’s a one-on-one battle, I feel like I have to win. If not, we have to go again until I win, and I can go all day.”

• Sympathy 1