Day 2 strategies - get it out of your system!!!

I'd love Jenkins, to me that would theoretically solidify our offense line for years to come, and next draft we can use all those picks on weapons and defense. 

But I am good with JOK as well, if Saleh loves him and feels he is a perfect will LB for his system, then by all means.

If we do decide to trade down, I would prefer if they didn't drop down too far as I feel the first half of this 2nd round still has a lot of premiere talent available

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, OMA said:

Trade with Raiders..   they have back to back 3rd round picks and need the LB from Notre Dame.  Move down in the 2nd and pick up a third.  

Washington works, too, with two thirds of their own. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Washington works, too, with two thirds of their own. 

I really hate the idea of trading down. Loved moving up for the top guard. Take BPA at 34 and leave the draft with 3 instant starters with first round grades. Rounds 4-6 are good for depth and fliers.

If we leave the off-season with Lawson, Davis, Wilson, AVT, and (JOK, Moore, Humphrey, Jenkins), plus the later round guys? Huge success. Upgraded 20% of our starting positions and have massive draft capital next year too

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think we're sitting pretty at #34. There's some "name" players that "dropped" into R2, which will present the Jets with opportunities to trade back if they should so choose.

The big opportunities, as I see them:

• Impactful defenders: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Trevon Moehrig, Azeez Ojulari, Christian Barmore, Asante Samuel Jr. and others are all there. I'm not tripping over myself to spend #34 on any of them, given our plethora of needs - but there's plenty other teams that have fewer needs that may see these guys as "final pieces". Take advantage, JD.
  • Where's the beef: Tevin Jenkins, Jalen Mayfield, Creed Humphrey, Landon Dickerson, and more. There's a LOT of OL talent here at the top of R2. Given that the Jets have locked down the left side of their line. They can now bring their focus to the C and right side. With this amount of options available, there's now "pressure" to spend #34 on any of them. You can move back 5-10 spots here and still get great value - equal value to be honest. The key here is to look at the teams drafting behind us, and the way they didn't protect their new QB investments in R1: Cincy melted brains taking Chase over Sewell, here is there chance to balance it out. Philly, Carolina, Denver are all others that could use help on the OL here.
  • Scoring points: Elijah Moore, Javonte Williams, Terrance Marshall, Pat Friermuth. Here's where the depth dwindles a bit more. If JD's goal was to get an offensive playmaker - the better bet might be to stay put. This is sort of the end of the top 50 picks offensive inclusions. Doesn't mean there isn't value later, but this is just based on perceived value. This is a place where I'd rather trade back and get 2 other players than any one of these guys.
  • Secondary: This class of DBs has some good value here in R2, but it really does keep steady thru round 3 and 4. Deep class. I'd capitalize on teams that want to move up, get my corner 5-10 picks later - or later in the draft. 

My biggest take-away in this sort of mental exercise is to realize, there's no 1 player at #34 that I love so much that I'd stand pat and not try to get back into the 3rd round. There's too many players I like thru rounds 2-6. Set yourself up to get some. In my opinion.

I would love Creed Humphrey and Javonte Williams. Humphrey would just be the icing on the cake for a OL that could hopefully be like what we had with Mangold

2 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

I really hate the idea of trading down. Loved moving up for the top guard. Take BPA at 34 and leave the draft with 3 instant starters with first round grades. Rounds 4-6 are good for depth and fliers.

If we leave the off-season with Lawson, Davis, Wilson, AVT, and (JOK, Moore, Humphrey, Jenkins), plus the later round guys? Huge success. Upgraded 20% of our starting positions and have massive draft capital next year too

I went to bed last night thinking that they had to trade down, and kinda woke up feeling the same way but, honestly, I'm torn on it. If they see a guy there who they believe will be an impact starter -on either side of the ball!- they should probably just take him. But if they have a handful of guys rated closely, and can move down a handful of picks, I like that, too. 

Now that I've had my coffee, I'm thinking that if he does trade down it'll be because he got an offer well above the infamous draft pick trade charts. I wouldn't mind that, either. 

I do expect him to figure out a way to get at least one more pick in between #34 and #107, though, and I don't think he'll want to trade future picks to do it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

I went to bed last night thinking that they had to trade down, and kinda woke up feeling the same way but, honestly, I'm torn on it. If they see a guy there who they believe will be an impact starter -on either side of the ball!- they should probably just take him. But if they have a handful of guys rated closely, and can move down a handful of picks, I like that, too. 

Now that I've had my coffee, I'm thinking that if he does trade down it'll be because he got an offer well above the infamous draft pick trade charts. I wouldn't mind that, either. 

I do expect him to figure out a way to get at least one more pick in between #34 and #107, though, and I don't think he'll want to trade future picks to do it. 

Agreed. My instinct says we should trade down because there are a bunch of good prospects that will fall to us later in the 2nd and it hurts not having those 3rds....but if JD loves a player at 34 I am ok taking that player if it also fills one of our glaring holes (OL/WR/Rb/Edge/CB). 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i feel like the Jets should sign Richard Sherman and Brian Poole this afternoon and they’ll have more than enough at CB  I’d really like to see them draft Jenkins or Humohrey at 34 and just roll with the super-unit. **** the retreads they have playing guard right now.
I’d also like to see them pick up a viable quarterback at some point in this draft. 

Oh, and I was so happy that you were showing signs of recovery...

DC1A0DF5-3CE5-40A0-A956-DC27BDB5A77C.gif

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d also like to see them pick up a viable quarterback at some point in this draft. 

JD must have someone on his radar Hoyer,Mullins or he decides to roll with White and Morgan. 

No way he's drafting another QB at any point in this draft. 

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Teven Jenkins or Elijah Moore works for me. Teven being my first choice

These are 1A (Moore) and 1V (Teven) for me. I think I am more in favor of just getting  I could see trading down with Cinncinatti and still getting Moore but no lower than that. Cincinatti gets their choice of T and we can get our playmaker. Moore is likely Top 20 maybe Top 15 on our board.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think we're sitting pretty at #34. There's some "name" players that "dropped" into R2, which will present the Jets with opportunities to trade back if they should so choose.

The big opportunities, as I see them:

• Impactful defenders: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Trevon Moehrig, Azeez Ojulari, Christian Barmore, Asante Samuel Jr. and others are all there. I'm not tripping over myself to spend #34 on any of them, given our plethora of needs - but there's plenty other teams that have fewer needs that may see these guys as "final pieces". Take advantage, JD.
  • Where's the beef: Tevin Jenkins, Jalen Mayfield, Creed Humphrey, Landon Dickerson, and more. There's a LOT of OL talent here at the top of R2. Given that the Jets have locked down the left side of their line. They can now bring their focus to the C and right side. With this amount of options available, there's now "pressure" to spend #34 on any of them. You can move back 5-10 spots here and still get great value - equal value to be honest. The key here is to look at the teams drafting behind us, and the way they didn't protect their new QB investments in R1: Cincy melted brains taking Chase over Sewell, here is there chance to balance it out. Philly, Carolina, Denver are all others that could use help on the OL here.
  • Scoring points: Elijah Moore, Javonte Williams, Terrance Marshall, Pat Friermuth. Here's where the depth dwindles a bit more. If JD's goal was to get an offensive playmaker - the better bet might be to stay put. This is sort of the end of the top 50 picks offensive inclusions. Doesn't mean there isn't value later, but this is just based on perceived value. This is a place where I'd rather trade back and get 2 other players than any one of these guys.
  • Secondary: This class of DBs has some good value here in R2, but it really does keep steady thru round 3 and 4. Deep class. I'd capitalize on teams that want to move up, get my corner 5-10 picks later - or later in the draft. 

My biggest take-away in this sort of mental exercise is to realize, there's no 1 player at #34 that I love so much that I'd stand pat and not try to get back into the 3rd round. There's too many players I like thru rounds 2-6. Set yourself up to get some. In my opinion.

From what I see, there's still a handful of 1st round talent there, including at positions of need.

I don't think I'd trade down far enough that it would likely net me a 3.  Maybe 1-3 slots is all.

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are far more options that will make my happy rather than sad with what we do in the 2nd round.  Only a few things that I would be unhappy with.  (Crosses fingers)

It is weird how the draft works. Pick 23 was in no man's land with a real risk that if the Jets stayed there they would have to reach for a lineman worthy of being a first round pick, but pick 34 is at a point that there is so much O line talent available and worthy of a second round pick that trading back makes perfect sense. It is nice to see that we now have a GM that understands how the draft works.  

I fully expect pick #34 to be an O lineman or a trade back with an O lineman picked next by the Jets. No repeats of the Darnold debacle. If Wilson fails he will have no one to blame but himself because JD intends to put the kid behind a wall.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I mean honestly there are a lot of guys left who would help. It’s possible they love *one* or think one position needs to be addressed but it’s certainly pretty straightforward to just keep things flexible and trade down. 

I do think if they move down they’re probably okay kicking the OL and defense down the curb since the elite defensive options are going to get snapped up and there’s a chance they get sniped on the OL too. And I’m honestly not sure that if they get a later two and a three, something like Pat Freiermuth and Drew Dalman or Kendrick Green is much worse than Tevin Jenkins or Creed Humphrey.

And there’s no guarantee they couldn’t get one of those guys in the 40’s anyway. There are going to be a bunch of guys who aren’t on that short list of targets for the Jets who go in the 30’s and 40’s.

If Douglas doesn’t trade down folks will point to someone they love he could’ve gotten at 50 and if he does they’ll bemoan losing the guys who are gone by the time they pick.

Good news is, lots of good players left.

• Upvote 1

I'd be happy with any of the following in this order:

1) JOK - I would've hated this 2 days ago, but with no 3rds we can't get Werner, Bolton, Moses, McGrone, Surrat and JOK wasn't a realistic option before - but he's perfect for this team, legit probowl potential who has maybe fallen into our lap. JAX will probably pounce.

2) Jenkins - because I was ok with him at 23 and this super unit would be awesome

3) Javonte Williams - because I would enjoy a "fun" pick for once

4) Trade down and target Best Available Offense - Moores, Marshall, o-line

5) Freiermuth - because I like TEs and we need one

6) Ifeatu - sneaky good option for this team, but too rich with the likes of Trill Williams available in the 4th/5th.

• Upvote 1