Crowder when targets are up

AFJF

29 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I remember an awful lot of drops from Crowder.  

Everyone is stroking this jag.  

There's real talent on the team now.  

How many is an awful lot?  Herndon led the team with 4 drops.  Is 2 or 3 an awful lot if he even had that many?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I remember an awful lot of drops from Crowder.  

Everyone is stroking this jag.  

There's real talent on the team now.  

You’d think Jets fans would realize by now it’s not wise to count chickens before the eggs hatch…

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

How many is an awful lot?  Herndon led the team with 4 drops.  Is 2 or 3 an awful lot if he even had that many?

His 2020 drop rate was 3.4%. Only three teams had a lower drop rate. His drops were absolutely not a problem last year.

He did have a drop rate of 6.6% in 2019, though. 

• Upvote 2

WRs generally get hurt a lot, and the WRs on the Jets have injury histories.  Crowder has actually been pretty healthy.  So I think keeping Crowder, for less money, was an insurance policy by JD to make sure that Wilson and the offense can develop if the WRs they like better get injured.  My guess is that is also why they are looking to sign Moses. 

This thread, is ground breaking and has me really thinking hard on this topic.

If WR's produce more, with more targets then one could assume, if a RB gets more carriers, his chances of having more yards and TD's go up?

Does this bleed over to other sports? If a Basketball player shoots more, does he have a chance to score more points?

Mind blowing topic! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This thread, is ground breaking and has me really thinking hard on this topic.

If WR's produce more, with more targets then one could assume, if a RB gets more carriers, his chances of having more yards and TD's go up?

Does this bleed over to other sports? If a Basketball player shoots more, does he have a chance to score more points?

Mind blowing topic! 

Gase disproved this theory by his usage of Frank Gore.

• Upvote 3

Crowders first four games of the year were all double digit target games. Those four games accounted for almost half of his receptions, more than half of his yards, and two of his six touchdowns. The first three were all over 100 yards too, fourth was a pedestrian seven catches for 48 yards and no touchdowns on 13 targets.

Only had three games with more than seven targets the rest of the year, none were double digit target games. The Browns game was nice, 7 catches for 92 yards and a TD. Other two were fine, 6 catches for 66 yards in one and 5 for 47 in the other (but with two TD’s). 

Whether it was usage or him being banged up or something else, Crowder went off a cliff after the beginning of last year.

Also for all the making fun in this thread, AFJF would’ve been better off posting per target stats because those are oddly different between the two groups. Granted it’s a pretty small sample in the low target games.

Jet fans have been so deprived of anything that actually resembles a real NFL offense that a guy like Crowder becomes so incredibly overrated.   The Jets WR room was not only bad but historically bad, and that’s not an over exaggeration.   Of course even an average slot receiver is going to look an All-Pro against the dregs of humanity that we’re playing receiver for the Jets.  JD, Saleh and LaFleur know this, thus the huge pay cut.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

One of the few things that I am sure about on the 2021 Jets is that Crowder's targets will be down.  

Think his 50% pay cut reflects his targets this year. 

And he understood that. My feeling is that he’s a major candidate to be traded before the deadline as long as the rest of the corps is healthy and there’s a buyer. I think a fifth or sixth round pick will do it. Otherwise, they’re just hoping for a comp pick in 2023. No way he’s on the team next year. 

• Upvote 3

Admittedly a bad job on my part.  Was starting this thread while at work and got called away from my desk before including all of my thoughts and just threw the stats up there.

Yes, of course Crowder's production was better when he had more targets, buy my point was going to be not just the increased production but the level of production.

I mean, do we honestly believe that if they threw the ball to any receiver on the team as many times as they did Crowder that they'd get the same results?  

His targets will go down in 2021, but hoping LaFleur sees what type of asset Crowder can be and finds a way to get him involved in the offense.  

Would be nice to help the team and increase his trade value as the deadline approaches.  Games with 2 targets for 24 yards won't do that.  A few games with 8 or 9 catches for 100+ yards will.  He gets open...take advantage.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Admittedly a bad job on my part.  Was starting this thread while at work and got called away from my desk before including all of my thoughts and just threw the stats up there.

Yes, of course Crowder's production was better when he had more targets, buy my point was going to be not just the increased production but the level of production.

I mean, do we honestly believe that if they threw the ball to any receiver on the team as many times as they did Crowder that they'd get the same results?  

His targets will go down in 2021, but hoping LaFleur sees what type of asset Crowder can be and finds a way to get him involved in the offense.  

Would be nice to help the team and increase his trade value as the deadline approaches.  Games with 2 targets for 24 yards won't do that.  A few games with 8 or 9 catches for 100+ yards will.  He gets open...take advantage.

Got it.  Makes more sense now but ofcourse we had to bust your balls.

I think Crowder is a fine player and Im glad they restructured.  Zach needs insurance policies and guys he can trust to be where they are supposed to be. You cant rely on young what if players and because of that, you cant afford an injury to one of the veteran WR's, especially if something happens early in the year, you want Zach to be able to start his career with experienced targets.  Davis, Cole, Crowder are a solid veteran group for any QB and if Moore and Mims step up and prove themselves, then I think you cant think about moving on from Crowder.  Otherwise, I dont think a 5th or 6th round pick is worth taking chances with Zach's development.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

As you pointed out Crowder's production wasn't consistent.  Interestingly Jets fans were in a panic when Robbie looked like a top NFL reciever after half a season only to fall off a cliff and revert back to the norm.

The NFL is a game of adjustments and attrition.  Crowder's numbers were above the mean because of his high productivity at the begining of the season. It may wll be his tape created an adjustment by the opposition that brought him back to the mean.  It's also likely that there was an element of attrition, Crowder may well have been banged up and less productive which also might have something to do with both his targets and productivity.

Crowder is what he is.  He's a good not great WR.  On the Jets the last few years being good not great put him in rarified air.  It's likely on a better team with more options he will be targeted less.  It also might mean teams will adjust by leaving him open more and he also may be healthier?  

There is simply no argument that he should be our go to WR unless our WR corp sucks or is on the shelf with injuries.