Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

22 mill over 2 years.  Poor guy.  We should start a gofundme page to help him.

How is that relevant? To the guy living under the bridge, a McDonald’s fry cook who asks for a $0.50/hr raise is a greedy, ungrateful SOB.

• Upvote 1

Good. 

He's damn near 30 years old and as a supposedly "ball hawking Free Safety" he's only recorded a whooping 6 career interceptions (now heading into year #5).

We've got two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks along with a 3rd round pick in order to draft an actual ball hawking FS next year who will replace "Marcus Maye" without missing a single beat. 

If he's holding our front office hostage and pulling a "Jamal Adams" while demanding to be paid as a top 1-5 Safety (when he's not) well then he can go fk himself for all I care.

With all of our draft ammo plus A+ available salary cap the awesome news is that he's easily replaceable and far from a future HOF player. He's not even All-Pro worthy let alone Pro-Bowl worthy...

Just now, GreenFish said:

I’m guessing this is a power play by Maye’s agent. He’ll sign before the deadline.

Who really cares if he doesn't? 

Just another Maccagnan draft pick on his way out before Joe Douglas not only replaces him but also upgrades over him come 2022. 

For a supposedly ball hawking FS he's only recorded 6 career INTs (now heading into year #5), 0 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro's and to make it worse he's already pushing 30 before his 2nd NFL contract. 

I actually can not wait until he's gone in order to watch JD use a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on his future replacement (and with coach Saleh developing the kid too).

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because that's what good GM's do.  Lie.  Remember when Douglas wanted Jamal Adams to be a Jet for life?  And how the plan was for Darnold to be the team's QB in 2021?

Why do some people always seem to have a problem with this when it comes to Douglas?  Do they not want the Jets to be a well run organization or something?

Just another logical knot Darnold defenders twist themselves into. JD traded Darnold for like 15% of the draft capital used to acquire him because he secretly knows he will be a stud. The code has been cracked because Douglas said some generic nice things about a former employee as maintenance was scraping Darnold’s name off his locker.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

We're probably not winning a SB this year so I'd love to trade Marcus Maye for a 2nd or even 3rd round pick if possible.

Jamal = two 1st round picks (Macc pick) which has already resulted into Alijah Vera-Tucker @ LG. 

Sam Darnold = 2nd round + 4th round picks (Macc pick).

Marcus Maye = 2nd/3rd round pick (Macc pick).

Get all of these Maccagnan picks out of here (outside of Quinnen Williams) and build a true Joe Douglas led locker room.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joejet said:

JD drafted 12 safeties this year. Maye would have to sign a team friendly deal to go past this year. You save your cap space for OL, QB, DL, CB, and pass rushers. The other positions can be replaced with draft picks and low cost free agents.

This.  They’re going cheap on safeties from here on in.  They’re going to finally draft and pay premium positions.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maye is a transition girl. Good for the moment, but not part of the long term plan. They'll get what they can out of him, he'll get paid charmingly, and both parties will move on next year. They aren't going to load up a contract at safety knowing they'll have to pay other more important players soon enough, unless it's a team friendly contract. Safety is a short term mercenary position not a corner stone build around position.   

This is exactly right.  Maye is exactly the type of player that a good team lets a bad team overpay.

The problem is, we aren't a good team yet - so I guess we'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That deal was the equivalent of hitting the lottery. “ All you need is a malcontent box safety and a dream!” 

Exactly like hitting the lotto!

I swear I’d love to play back the tape Evan and Joe who screamed about “not extending our best young player in Jamal”. 

Give me a break. JD robbed Seattle. I don’t care if both SEA firsts end up in the 20s. He robbed them blind. And skipped on paying an in the box safety $16m per. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is exactly right.  Maye is exactly the type of player that a good team lets a bad team overpay.

Have to act like a good team until you become one.  I can't imagine Douglas overpays Maye simply because the roster still isn't good yet.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Can't tell if Maye's people pulled their proposal or if the Jets pulled theirs

Why would Mayes people pull their proposal?

If they made a proposal and the Jets didnt accept, why would they have to pull it?

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If they made a proposal and the Jets didnt accept, why would they have to pull it?

I don’t know if it’s because they felt disrespected, but that is what they did.

Probably went like this:

Jets sent an offer, Maye’s camp countered.  Jets didn’t respond, Maye’s camp took that as “yeah, nah, we’re not giving you that” and said “fine, we were willing to budge a bit, but now we’re requesting more money and pulling our current, cheaper, rebuttal.”

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t know if it’s because they felt disrespected, but that is what they did.

Probably went like this:

Jets sent an offer, Maye’s camp countered.  Jets didn’t respond, Maye’s camp took that as “yeah, nah, we’re not giving you that” and said “fine, we were willing to budge a bit, but now we’re requesting more money and pulling our current, cheaper, rebuttal.”

Sounds like Maye is now doing to NY what Jamal is doing to Seattle (demanding to be paid). 

Fk Marcus Maye.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Maye and his agent appear to be letting their emotions get in the way of business while Douglas isn't. Emotions make you do stupid things. Reminds me of when I got my first bonus on Wall Street out of college.  I was so pissed off on how little it was I told my boss to tell the company to freakin keep it because it was so insultingly low. He said you can be angry and even quit if you want, but if you let them keep it you are only hurting yourself.  He was right lol.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maye is a transition girl. Good for the moment, but not part of the long term plan. They'll get what they can out of him, he'll get paid charmingly, and both parties will move on next year. They aren't going to load up a contract at safety knowing they'll have to pay other more important players soon enough, unless it's a team friendly contract. Safety is a short term mercenary position not a corner stone build around position.   

Dont say that Todd Bowles....   

Maye and his agent appear to be letting their emotions get in the way of business while Douglas isn't. Emotions make you do stupid things. Reminds me of when I got my first bonus on Wall Street out of college.  I was so pissed off on how little it was I told my boss to tell the company to freakin keep it because it was so insultingly low. He said you can be angry and even quit if you want, but if you let them keep it you are only hurting yourself.  He was right lol.

Reminds me of Leon Washington in 2009

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Oh and also Marcus Maye has stopped following the Jets on social media

Relations are ”not in a good place”

0B8F4A4F-59E5-4DF6-B325-29811A39F59D.png

Wow. He's becoming more of a social media drama queen than Jamal Adams and he's also older than Jamal and should be a lot more mature; Marcus Maye should be ashamed of himself for his recent social media behavior (LOL).

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall during these negotiations!! I would love to know exactly what Maye's camp is looking for because, quite honestly, resigning Maye feels like a MUST for where this team is right now. 

Adams was a completely different situation. That cancer needed to go. Maye is the complete opposite of Adams as a professional in every possible way. Not only is he one of our very few good players, he is a leader in that locker room and everything you hear about the guy, it's easy to see why he was voted team MVP. 

I want to know what Maye is asking for because outside of it being an Adam's-like demand, he needs to be resigned! Outside of demanding to be the highest paid safety over the next 6 years, resigning him is a must and there is no excuse for not getting it done! This roster has very little talent. Not only is Maye on the short list of talent on this team, right now he is literally the only known, dependable member of the entire secondary. With Quinnen and Mosley, Maye gives us an above average talent on every level of the defense. 

Even after free agency, we are still among the top of the league in cap space and we are projected to be among the top in cap space next year even AFTER the cap goes up significantly! On top of the cap space, outside of QWill, we have no one coming up worth resigning. Because we don't have any stars at premium positions, this team is in a place where it completely has the flexibility to be able to spend premium money on a safety for the next couple seasons.  RESIGN MARCUS MAYE FOR F*CK SAKE!! 

Give the man a 3 or even 4 year extension and front load the hell out of it. Give him a salary that matches Simmon's avg over the 1st and 2nd year and it will do nothing to hinder the continued building of this roster over that time. Hell, since Maye is pretty old to be coming off his rookie salary, maybe he thinks he's got another pay day in him. If that's the case, give him a 2 year deal and guarantee the sh*t out of it lol. To be honest, I don't give a sh*t, JUST GET IT DONE!! Don't repeat the mistake made with Anderson. WE HAVE THE MONEY AND NEXT TO ZERO HOMEGROWN TALENT TO RETAIN!!! 

Please, PLEASE get this done!? I really do trust JD and love 95% of what he's done, but if I watch Maye walk after this season for the hope of a comp pick, I'm going to be very, very unhappy and will almost certainly start to question his decisions as it pertains to his use of cap space. I don't mind the fact that he stays true to the value he places on a player and is disciplined when it comes to not "overpaying" and sticking to what he believes someone is worth. As a matter of fact, I think that's absolutely an asset. However, that inflexibility when it comes to spending can go from an asset to a HUGE hindrance if you're being CHEAP and that number in his head, the number he refuses to go above is consistently less than what it takes to sign or resign talent. I didn't mind trading Leo Williams - He never lived up to what he was drafted to be here (although imagine him inside next to Q!). I LOVED trading Adams - I fu*king hate Jamal Adams. I was disappointed at not resigning Anderson for what he eventually signed for, but far from losing sleep over it. I could just never get over how freaking dumb the man was and I doubted his ability to be a complete WR. In hindsight, he should have been kept but far from the end of the world. Those 3 I was okay with but at some point, you need to start holding onto the little talent this team has and it needs to start with Maye!!!! 

Get it done Tann - My bad, wrong era... Stop dicking around and SIGN THE FU*KING MAN JOEY D!!!!!! 

On 7/13/2021 at 4:17 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Douglas could still tag Maye next year too. Ball would be in his court if he wants to hold out at that point. I don’t think he’s gonna hold out now.

With how frugal he is, I absolutely can't see JD doing that. Doesn't the 2nd franchise tag go up to the rate for QBs?  Whatever the specifics, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the number is much higher than the first year, no?

Franchising him this year made all the sense in the world because of how low the tag number is for safeties and we ended up tagging him for probably at least 4 mil less than he's asking for. 

If we absolutely can't get Maye resigned either because his demands are Adams-like or JD is being cheap (what I fear the problem is) I can't see him keeping him for just another year at the cost of that tag next year. 

IF he is willing to pay that amount, I can't understand why you don't extend him and front load the hell out of it - Which is what I've been yelling for JD to do in this situation. Give him a 3 or 4 year extension and give him 75% of the contract in the first 2 years. You could give him a total salary of 16-17 mil (or whatever it takes, tbh) in his 1st and 2nd year and not hinder rebuilding this roster one bit. We have the money right now, pay him!

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:01 AM, David Harris said:

Oh and also Marcus Maye has stopped following the Jets on social media

Relations are ”not in a good place”

0B8F4A4F-59E5-4DF6-B325-29811A39F59D.png

This is exactly what I've been afraid of. If this is true it's absolutely disgusting and this would be the first move (or non move) of JDs that I adamantly hate. His tag number is 11 something, right? So you mean to tell me that JD holding firm to an offer that could possibly average less than 10 a year?! 

If this is true, it's absolutely negligent on the part of JD! And that's coming from one of his biggest supporters to this point. Losing Maye because of sticking to that kind of cheap-a$$, lowball offer while we continue to sit on all this cap space would be fu*king criminal 

• WTF? 2

This is exactly what I've been afraid of. If this is true it's absolutely disgusting and this would be the first move (or non move) of JDs that I adamantly hate. His tag number is 11 something, right? So you mean to tell me that JD holding firm to an offer that could possibly average less than 10 a year?! 
If this is true, it's absolutely negligent on the part of JD! And that's coming from one of his biggest supporters to this point. In all seriousness, if this is actually true I might seriously start to give some thought to the whole, "JD makes moves to save Woody money" conspiracy BS lol. Losing Maye because of sticking to that kind of cheap-a$$, lowball offer while we continue to sit on all this cap space would be fu*king criminal 

JD didn’t draft him and maybe saled told him to find someone on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, slats said:

They got back two firsts and a third and had some solid safety play in the meantime. Not too shabby! 

Also, yeah, I like Marcus Maye and all, but I’m cool with him making $10M to play on the tag this year. Hard to cry about that being unfair. 

Look at the trade comp for Darnold vs Adam’s ?

I like JD he seems to maximize each move but not get hung up on “what if “

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Who really cares if he doesn't? 

Just another Maccagnan draft pick on his way out before Joe Douglas not only replaces him but also upgrades over him come 2022. 

For a supposedly ball hawking FS he's only recorded 6 career INTs (now heading into year #5), 0 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro's and to make it worse he's already pushing 30 before his 2nd NFL contract. 

I actually can not wait until he's gone in order to watch JD use a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on his future replacement (and with coach Saleh developing the kid too).

Dude this is almost the same post you just made

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Before it can be a good team, it has to be run like one.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2