Zach Wilson - 9/11 - 128 Yards - 2 Touchdowns - 0 INTs

Ghost

7 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

One thing that really impressed me was on the 2nd drive on 2nd and 2 he threw a bad pass at the feet of Davis and on the very next play he calmly stands in the pocket and finds the open guy to convert on 3rd down. Seems like nothing on the surface but it says a lot to me about his mental toughness. Next level stuff.

I remember that. I was in the middle of posting about the first pass not being good when he ninja'd me with the next throw.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

I think he's just taking what the defense gives him man. He's not going to chuck up a ball just to "show the NFL what I can do." When it's there, we are going to see it.

Its there when they call the play. those plays he will have to make alot during the season, shouldn't we see him do it once in preseason?  

that was Sams problem. he never went deep.  he lived in the 5-10 yd range. and defenses played up because of it.

our WRs should have no problem blowing past there backups to give the kid a target. its preseason, your suppose to give the kid reps, i just thought at least one pass would be a home run pass

• WTF? 1

For a rookie, what more can you ask playing in his second NFL preseason game?

What blew me away is that he is already used his eyes to help his receivers get open on a couple of plays. And, he has three weeks to improve for his next real test.

The Panthers are supposed to have a decent defense with a really good pass rusher. If Zach and the offense plays well in that game, then I’ll start guzzling the Zach kool aid. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The kid has come out of the gate looking like he belongs.  That in itself is better than anything we’ve EVER had.

There will be growing pains and off games, but the long search for a quarterback is over.

Your avatar gives me anxiety.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I’d be be ok if that’s the route they went, but I would like him to get some reps against Philly’s 1s if they actually play them.

Me too, but I just wonder if the need for that outweighs the injury risk. There is not a lot in terms of live game play to be seen as something he really needs to work on. He has command of the huddle., offense, is calm and poised and despite it being the "2nd team" he seems pretty adjusted to the speed of the NFL. 

4 hours ago, ultraJETfan said:

One thing that really impressed me was on the 2nd drive on 2nd and 2 he threw a bad pass at the feet of Davis and on the very next play he calmly stands in the pocket and finds the open guy to convert on 3rd down. Seems like nothing on the surface but it says a lot to me about his mental toughness. Next level stuff.

You know looking back on that play the CB had great position to undercut it. He may have dirted that on purpose.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Joejet said:

While you take everything with a grain of salt because of the competition I was excited to see how comfortable he was looking off defenders and putting the ball where it needed to be placed. On the 2nd touchdown pass he hit Kraft in stride which allowed him to get all the way to the end zone.

This.  You cant take anything away from what you're seeing because this sh*t is literally absolutely meaningless but Jets fans should be encouraged by the level of comfort he's displayed and his ability to flawlessly execute a script.  As we've seen before, that can come easy for QB's (Sam Darnold on opening drives w/ Gase for example) it's when the play caller and the QB are having to adjust to a real defense when we know what we have in Wilson but so far, I dont see how any cant be overjoyed by what they've seen thus far.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, doitny said:

Its there when they call the play. those plays he will have to make alot during the season, shouldn't we see him do it once in preseason?  

that was Sams problem. he never went deep.  he lived in the 5-10 yd range. and defenses played up because of it.

our WRs should have no problem blowing past there backups to give the kid a target. its preseason, your suppose to give the kid reps, i just thought at least one pass would be a home run pass

Hes a rookie with under 2 quarters of football under him, playing with a lot of backups on his side of the ball again, had a great day and we're supposed to complain because you think he is somehow like Sam?  

He was 3-3 I believe in passes over 10+ yards.  In one half.  Are you serious?

9 hours ago, Wit said:

It’s ok to be hopeful, but it’s going to be a rocky road this season. As long as you can ignore the SAR “JD should get nine wins” contingent, it should be fun watching him develop.

Its a one man contingent that is saying that because anything less you allow him to go back to his Gase is the football man of Florham Park schtick

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We need to temper this a little bit...

Yes, he looked great.  Yes, he can only play against what he was seeing...

But putting the fact that he was against 2nd stringers aside, he was also against vanilla defenses, with no game planning and little to no blitzing.

Again, he looked great - but we shouldn't expect this type of performance in his early games.  He's going to struggle a lot.  A lot more than what we saw yesterday.

With that said, watching him though - you can see it's all there - and the future is really bright.  The way he goes through his reads, the arm strength, the release, the arm angles etc....It's ALL there - it's just going to take time.  

We have our guy - but we're going to need to be patient still and not start calling him a bust after a bad practice or a even a few games.

Well said, due optimism tempered by the facts of preseason.

Like you, I'm very happy with what I've seen so far.  

Like you, I expect that won't be enough to avoid the usual abuse from the Hyperbolic contingent, lol.

Week 1 can't get here soon enough, gonna be very exciting to see Wilson play a real game against real #1's and real schemes.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like you, I expect that won't be enough to avoid the usual abuse from the Hyperbolic contingent, lol.

Week 1 can't get here soon enough, gonna be very exciting to see Wilson play a real game against real #1's and real schemes.  

Agree with tempered optimism. He does have a lot more going for him, though, than any of our previous high pick qb prospects. Seems smarter than Darnold with a more natural throwing motion and no history of wreckless type turnovers. More importantly he has a coaching staff that seems much more in tune with how to lower expectations and develop a prospect, and putting him in  a situation to succeed. The front office seems totally committed to bringing in players to support the process. It’s hard not to be giddy over how good he looked, but I’m ready to be patient, I’ve waited over 50 years for a successor to Joe anyway. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

This.  You cant take anything away from what you're seeing because this sh*t is literally absolutely meaningless but Jets fans should be encouraged by the level of comfort he's displayed and his ability to flawlessly execute a script.  As we've seen before, that can come easy for QB's (Sam Darnold on opening drives w/ Gase for example) it's when the play caller and the QB are having to adjust to a real defense when we know what we have in Wilson but so far, I dont see how any cant be overjoyed by what they've seen thus far.

Other thing that’s nice with the kid is he seems to be steadily improving week to week adding different aspects to his game. It’s like for everything the coaches teach him he works  at it and makes it his own. Yet, none of this means anything until live action and he may be seeing ghost after we face Belicheck week two. So might as well enjoy it now I guess. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the best you can say about Wilson is that he looked how you'd expect a quality starter to look against those looks. Stayed composed, went through his reads and made the right decisions. 

Darnold definitely goes for a dance out of the pocket on the Davis throw.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We need to temper this a little bit...

Yes, he looked great.  Yes, he can only play against what he was seeing...

But putting the fact that he was against 2nd stringers aside, he was also against vanilla defenses, with no game planning and little to no blitzing.

Again, he looked great - but we shouldn't expect this type of performance in his early games.  He's going to struggle a lot.  A lot more than what we saw yesterday.

With that said, watching him though - you can see it's all there - and the future is really bright.  The way he goes through his reads, the arm strength, the release, the arm angles etc....It's ALL there - it's just going to take time.  

We have our guy - but we're going to need to be patient still and not start calling him a bust after a bad practice or a even a few games.

Agreed.  Love what I have seen so far in two presesason games.  The pre-season is pass-fail, and he has passed his two tests. 

The real grades come in a few weeks, so he still has a lot to prove.  But as of today, he has done everything a fan could ask for.  He is accurate, poised, makes reads and good decisions, gets all his receivers involved and is consistenlty moving the ball against the guys he lines up against.   He has also seemed to be at his best on 3rd down.  Very impressive.  I am encouraged and excited by what I have seen, but I am not ready to rejoice that we have finally found our savior, as some have done.  Lets see how this coming season plays out first.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Boner Central.. Wilson was sharp. Do not give a sh*t who it was against.

These 2nd team players are still NFL players and better than the competition he faced while at BYU which he dominated in his last year there. He’s on the right track. Doesn’t look lost, jittery or confused. Is making quick reads, nice touch and looks poised in the pocket. It’s everything and then some for a rookie QB to show off the bat. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Boner Central.. Wilson was sharp. Do not give a sh*t who it was against.

Exactly. The people even bringing up the level of competition never seem to mention Zach was without AVT and Elijah Moore. I'm fine without facing every starter until all of ours are ready too - it works both ways.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ultraJETfan said:

I actually think that pass was intended. The db was in great position to step in front

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The deeper receiver was wide open behind Davis.  

When WIlson released the ball, Davis was WIDE open but that WR was in stride with a defender that shifted to Davis when the ball was thrown. 

On 8/22/2021 at 3:13 AM, Warfish said:

Reality Check:

Tua Tag put up 16-23 for 183 Yards and a TD (no INT) tonight (107 QB Rating).

Mitch Trubisky put up 20-28 for 221 Yards and a TD (no INT) tonight (106 QB Rating).

And most here think both these guys are utterly horrible.

I do like what I'm seeing so far from Wilson, and a 154 QB Rating is nothing to sneeze at, but remember, it's still just Preseason.  Vanilla play-calling, playing against backups, and more.

Week 1 is going to be VERY informative for us I think.  I can't wait for games and snaps that count vs. legit #1's trying to win.

Sacrilege to say such a thing about Mitch "Baby Tannehill" Trubisky.