HC Robert Saleh mic'd up

Jets’ Robert Saleh breaks down the importance of preseason reps

New York Jets & Philadelphia Eagles joint practice

By Joey Chandler | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

There won’t be any rest for the Jets in Saturday’s final preseason game against the Eagles at MetLife Stadium. While some teams around the NFL have not played select starters, a youthful Jets squad has, and this week’s plan is no different.

“We trust the way we’re going about things. We’ve got a ridiculously young team, and they are growing and learning and all of these experiences are so important to them,” Jets coach Robert Saleh said after Wednesday’s joint practice with Philadelphia. “I feel like they’ve gotten so much better from the first day of camp until now and to pull off now, I think we’d be doing them an injustice.”

Saleh expects his starting offensive line, quarterbacks and the majority of defensive players to compete. Rookie Zach Wilson will not play past the first half.

“These are real reps that you cannot recreate. I don’t care how many times you try in practice, you can’t recreate it,“ Saleh said. “For them to get those moments and see it on tape and learn to adjust for the next time that happens, because it will, I feel that you can’t draw it up any better, except for we wish we still had some of those injuries in check.”

Those moments are what led Wilson to saying he wished he could play an entire preseason game, but he also understands why he isn’t. The more he’s learned in repetitions about the tempo of the game, he said, the more comfortable he’s become on the field.

“I feel like you’re able to kind of ease into it. We play against our defense, you get used to that and then you have some joint practices and it’s just practice, you get used to that and then you have some preseason games against different opponents,” Wilson said. “So, it’s slowly preparing you for what it’s going to be like in a real game and I think that’s why it’s so beneficial, it’s just getting you ready and it shakes off all those nerves, you don’t feel nervous to go out there and play.”

And in preparation for Week 1 against the Charlotte Panthers, Saleh said, those preseason experiences are priceless.

“You’re going to simulate as much as you can but, until you’re actually in it, there’s nothing like being in it,” Saleh said. “I’m sure Formula 1 racers are sitting in their simulators racing cars out of safety but, until you’re actually behind the engine and feeling the roar and the vibration, it’s different.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Jets’ Robert Saleh breaks down the importance of preseason reps

New York Jets & Philadelphia Eagles joint practice

By Joey Chandler | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

There won’t be any rest for the Jets in Saturday’s final preseason game against the Eagles at MetLife Stadium. While some teams around the NFL have not played select starters, a youthful Jets squad has, and this week’s plan is no different.

“We trust the way we’re going about things. We’ve got a ridiculously young team, and they are growing and learning and all of these experiences are so important to them,” Jets coach Robert Saleh said after Wednesday’s joint practice with Philadelphia. “I feel like they’ve gotten so much better from the first day of camp until now and to pull off now, I think we’d be doing them an injustice.”

Saleh expects his starting offensive line, quarterbacks and the majority of defensive players to compete. Rookie Zach Wilson will not play past the first half.

“These are real reps that you cannot recreate. I don’t care how many times you try in practice, you can’t recreate it,“ Saleh said. “For them to get those moments and see it on tape and learn to adjust for the next time that happens, because it will, I feel that you can’t draw it up any better, except for we wish we still had some of those injuries in check.”

Those moments are what led Wilson to saying he wished he could play an entire preseason game, but he also understands why he isn’t. The more he’s learned in repetitions about the tempo of the game, he said, the more comfortable he’s become on the field.

“I feel like you’re able to kind of ease into it. We play against our defense, you get used to that and then you have some joint practices and it’s just practice, you get used to that and then you have some preseason games against different opponents,” Wilson said. “So, it’s slowly preparing you for what it’s going to be like in a real game and I think that’s why it’s so beneficial, it’s just getting you ready and it shakes off all those nerves, you don’t feel nervous to go out there and play.”

And in preparation for Week 1 against the Charlotte Panthers, Saleh said, those preseason experiences are priceless.

“You’re going to simulate as much as you can but, until you’re actually in it, there’s nothing like being in it,” Saleh said. “I’m sure Formula 1 racers are sitting in their simulators racing cars out of safety but, until you’re actually behind the engine and feeling the roar and the vibration, it’s different.”

I thought the game was Friday night.  Am I wrong?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I loved Bill Parcells and Rex Ryan but this man Robert Saleh is already my favorite Jets coach of All-Time and he's the perfect coach to replace Adam Gase in terms of a complete culture change because Gase destroyed both our locker room and our fan base. 

Thank you Joe Douglas.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

I like how he is always teaching positively. I'll bet the defense this year is better because they don't have Williams' voice tearing them down after mistakes, and the offense is better just having a plan and an outlook of "we are making this first down," rather than "let's run Gore into the middle on 3rd and six, so our punter has the whole field to work with."

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I know he hasn’t won anything yet but this guy makes such a great first impression. I haven’t been this excited since Parcels and we knew that he wasn’t in it for the long haul. Saleh could potentially be here for a long time and really establish a winning culture. I just watched hard knocks and am so glad we didn’t hire McCarthey, he talks in such cliche like coach speak and comes off so phony sounding compared to Saleh. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I like how he is always teaching positively. I'll bet the defense this year is better because they don't have Williams' voice tearing them down after mistakes, and the offense is better just having a plan and an outlook of "we are making this first down," rather than "let's run Gore into the middle on 3rd and six, so our punter has the whole field to work with."

Its an overlooked quality, but one thats growing increasingly important.  

We have to remember even though these players are massive individuals, many of them are basically still kids. 21-22 year olds still trying to find their way. 

One thing ive learned over 10 years now coaching and my time in education is how dangerous the "coach as you were coached" mentality can be in todays kids. Due to lack of social engagement and other factors, kids have a hard time handling adversity, have extremely low self-esteem, and are prone to giving up when things get too hard.  Many guys take that old approach of beating down on guys 1. because thats how they were coached or taught, and 2. to "toughen guys up".  I am guilty of this many times in my career, but lately I have been more positive, encouraging, engaging.  I yell far less than I ever have in my coaching career now 10 years in why?  because it gets a better response from the kids. 

You still have to preach the core values you are trying to instill (character, resiliency, tenacity ect)  But instead of doing it by yelling, you explain it, explain its value, make connections.  Its a very different world than what I grew up in and im only 34, but you can see that this way of Teaching is more beneficial.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

The Anti-Gase. Or maybe Gase was the Anti-Saleh. Coach Saleh is a fountain of personality, but not in the obnoxious Rex way. The man is a real teacher too, behind the energy and positive interpersonal stuff you see you hear him giving individual pointers to players. This team is going to surprise, first us, then the league. This year the foundation for sustainable success will be laid.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1