our rbs are trash

kmnj

9 hours ago, Biggs said:

I expect Michael Carter who Douglas drafted this year to emerge at some point as a quality NFL running back.  If he doesn't I'm probably going to have to agree with the premise of this post.   I'm excited to see what this kid brings to the table in both the running and passing game.  

micheal carter runs like blair thomas

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, kmnj said:

our "number one rb" averaged 1.9 yards last year and has run like he had a piano on his back the past few years

our "number two rb" is at best an unknown with under 300 yards and only one td in his brief history

I keep hearing the jets are going to be a run team like the niners were-really who is going to be doing the running?

Perine is trash too

Joe has done nothing to improve our running game vs last year -a washed gore = a washed coleman 

on the plus side Wilson will be throwing all over the place as the passing game is going to be the only thing working for the jets so hopefully is becomes our franchise QB we all hope and pray for

Can we take create a gofundme to have @kmnj travel to the Jets facility, be locked in a room with the RBs and say this to their face? 

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, EM31 said:

Blair Thomas ended up being pretty decent.  Just not for us.

They guy had 7 TD's and 15 first downs in 8 years on active NFL rosters.  In his 4 years as a NY Jets player he had 5 TD's and O first downs.   Perine had 2 TD's and 18 first downs last year.  

The suck was Large in that one.

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

He's only on their practice squad ... they signed Trenton Cannon to their active roster. :D 

They've said right from the beginning that he'll only be on the practice squad until hes in football shape and ready to go, then will be placed on the active roster.  

We shall see.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They've said right from the beginning that he'll only be on the practice squad until hes in football shape and ready to go, then will be placed on the active roster.  

We shall see.  

When was he last in football shape? ;-)  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

His best two years were his rookie and sophomore seasons with the Jets.

Unfortunately 

Wow, you are right! How odd.  Not odd that you are right but that I had him pegged in my mind as one of those guys who was pretty good after he left us. I just checked his stats.

Hrrm... I wonder who I am confusing him with.

In any event I withdraw my original comment.

• Sympathy 1

2.6 yards per run and combined total of under 50  yards vs a panther run defense that is not even good

so looks like u can’t just plug scrub rbs into the @49ers system unless u actually are the 49ers

If u are going to be a run first team u need good run blockers and more importantly actual rbs that can run

so far joe brought in a washed Coleman and a washed Gore 

• Thumb Down 1

1. Tevin shouldn’t be he starter 

2. This system is about the blocking scheme, and our OL looked awful all day - it shouldn’t a surprise that the RBs showed poorly

3. We should have hired Shanny years back, like I said at the time - just like when I wanted Arians

?‍♂️

On 9/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, sec101row23 said:

This is all a bit premature.   

big time,  not many RBs can do anything when the line is getting dominated on every play.  

I will say this though, I think they are going to find out really soon that the top two backs are Johnson and Carter, I'm all for Tevin Coleman but he showed yesterday in short yardage situations he just doesnt have the drive in the legs he used to.  Where as Carter carried guys at the point of attack. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

big time,  not many RBs can do anything when the line is getting dominated on every play.  

I will say this though, I think they are going to find out really soon that the top two backs are Johnson and Carter, I'm all for Tevin Coleman but he showed yesterday in short yardage situations he just doesnt have the drive in the legs he used to.  Where as Carter carried guys at the point of attack. 

The game plan was flawed in the first half but yes i thought they will use the other rbs more.  Need to get them more involved in the short passing game.  More short passes to rbs, fewer wasted runs, make the defenses think more.

11 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Johnson can't block, at all. Jury is still out on Carter.

Perine is the best blocker of the bunch.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

RB's are irrelevant in the NFL haven't you heard. 

I been saying it for awhile this team lacks a decent RB. 

Sad watching a team that doesn't have  RB who can gain 2 yards to get a first down in a crucial part of the game.

The blocking isn’t there.  Vera Tucker oh my God this guy looks soft 

But yeah our rbs are pretty average 

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

RB's are irrelevant in the NFL haven't you heard. 

I been saying it for awhile this team lacks a decent RB. 

Sad watching a team that doesn't have  RB who can gain 2 yards to get a first down in a crucial part of the game.

yep I am a fan-Joe does this for a living- how is it I knew our rbs were total trash  and our line was bad but Joe did not ? It was bad enough Joe thought Gore was the answer last year but yet did the exact same thing again bringing in another washed rb to start in coleman.  

I was bashed by just about everybody in this thread for stating what was so obvious . I get it fans want to have hope before the season starts and my negative posts was not well appreciated but hope is a terrible four letter word

Wislon will get killed back there if teams know we can run the ball.  No more running Coleman out there-let the young guys play all of the snaps so we can see if any of them can actually play

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Agreed, Coleman shouldn’t be getting those short yardage touches.  Carter looked decent and I think once Perine comes back we’ll see him get a lot of those.  

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Johnson can't block, at all. Jury is still out on Carter.

Perine is the best blocker of the bunch.

This team needs a good RB who can do it all. Once Carolina realized we had nothing in the run game they just tee'd off on Zach. This crap is not going to work for any QB we need to show we can run the football. I am so disappointed in Micheal Carter he looked bad in pre season obviously he never stepped up in practice since he was consistently 3rd string and now in the real games he looks just as bad. Coleman Missed hole after hole and as bad as our OL played you have to take advantage when they do open a hole.

Herbert has Eckler

Dak has Elliot

Mayfield has Hunt and Chubb would love one of these guys via trade but that wont happen they in running for SB and 2 backs like that will be a huge help

Big Ben Has Harris

Rodgers has Jones

Tannehill has Henry

RUSHING YDS

Joe Mixon
Joe MixonCIN

Damien Harris
Damien HarrisNE

And the Biggest Impact of all is going to be Sam Darnold Checking down to McCaffery all year long if Christian gets hurt or a team shuts him down Sam will fall flat on his face.

All these teams win and score points, of course yesterday might not be a good example (in all cases) of what a RB means to his QB but we all know that will consistently happen during the season. If this team wants to win we need to spend a 1st round pick (SINCE WE HAVE 2) next year and get a real RB. Sure some teams get lucky in the 3rd or 4th round but that does not mean everyone gets lucky. Put a sure thing back there with Zach and it will not only help with the pressure, it will help with the check downs as well. Mark my words Micheal Carter in NOT the answer he runs scared and its obvious there's a reason he slipped to the 4th round

1) If you think RBs are interchangeable, you didn't watch McCaffrey.

2) Given the complete lack of effectiveness of our RBs, which I will partially lay on the OL, I am banging the desk to give Josh Adams a few carries.  He was the most effective guy last season and during this preseason.  Or do we have to watch a few more weeks of Coleman and Carter running into walls.