O-line was supposed to be Joe Douglas' expertise

freestater

21 minutes ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

The overreaction is even more than I expected.  Chill out, it’s the first game. Did you really expect a 2-14 team to morph into a playoff team in one year?

I expected an NFL caliber offensive line.

Mekhi looked bad and is now probably out for the year.

Fant looked bad on the right side and is now our starting LT.

There was pressure all day from everywhere.  Completely overmatched.  Pressure from the edge. Pressure from the interior.  Free runners all day. Zach got smacked several times.  RB's confused over who to pick up.

Some of this is expected, first game, 5 guys that never played together.  But this was worse than expected.  Zach looked good when given a modicum of time.  Just a disastrous day by the entire offensive line.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

He's put together a line just about as good as Macc did.

The is going to take time we can revisit this 4 or 5 games in , Becton is the real issue he can not handle the outside speed rushers at all and Carl Lawson made that very clear in training camp. Fant and Moses did much better once becton got hurt like I said early when people questioned the Moses signing ...there's a reason we did that and not only is Becton crap vs speed rushers he can't sustain his weight. Turn him into a Guard now

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

This is the youngest team in the league.  The qb and hc are in their first year.  WTF DO U EXPECT???

Wilson shouldnt have been out there today. He should be sitting until this coaching staff and Oline are competent. 

The fact that he was out there, getting killed all game and almost had a concussion - speaks volumes of how green this team is (players and GM/coaching staff).

• Upvote 2

Not going to overreact to AVT getting bulled in his first game.   Derrick Brown was always going to eat McGovern's lunch.  I dont understand not upgrading C and G in free agency but whatevs.  Apparently we like to make it as challenging on our young QB's as possible under JD.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Not going to overreact to AVT getting bulled in his first game.   Derrick Brown was always going to eat McGovern's lunch.  I dont understand not upgrading C and G in free agency but whatevs.  Apparently we like to make it as challenging on our young QB's as possible under JD.

The fact we installed the Shanny system, upgraded our OL, and chose to start Yevin Coleman… and couldn’t impose our will running the ball… with a rookie QB and young defense.

Just game planning 101 fail.

AVT was clearly the pick where the Jets traded up to.  He will get better and needs to practice.  

Something happened to Becton during the off season.  They should use his injury to straighten him out.  

The interior plan was to throw Clark, Lewis, Feeney and GVR against the wall for RG and see who stuck.   It did not work out.   JD should have paid more for Elflein. But just like Vikings gave up draft capital for Herndon to fill a desperate need for their team, JD should have traded to add more OL.  You can’t have enough of them.  Edoga is not an NFL quality player, and he is using up one of the 8 OL spots on the 53.  

This is the last year that JD refuses to overpay more than his “value.”  He will need to pay up for critical players they need.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

I expected an NFL caliber offensive line.

Mekhi looked bad and is now probably out for the year.

Fant looked bad on the right side and is now our starting LT.

There was pressure all day from everywhere.  Completely overmatched.  Pressure from the edge. Pressure from the interior.  Free runners all day. Zach got smacked several times.  RB's confused over who to pick up.

Some of this is expected, first game, 5 guys that never played together.  But this was worse than expected.  Zach looked good when given a modicum of time.  Just a disastrous day by the entire offensive line.

Happy North Carolina GIF by Carolina Panthers

• Haha 2

Becton was a low floor, high ceiling pick. Can't blame JD for shooting for it when he knew the team needed a few years before being competitive. He needed time and didn't get a real OTA or full offseason until this year. While it is easy to mock, last year was not a good year for rookies - especially the ones that needed the most help. You also need to be surrounded with other OL and TEs and you need continuity. He is playing next to a rookie who has missed the past several weeks.

AVT was hurt and didn't practice enough. When Becton and AVT have played together for a season, then maybe it will be fair to judge more harshly. Imagine how much better AVT would be playing if he was playing next to a Mangold then McGovern.

New blocking scheme, new HC, new OC, new ... - anyone thinking this OL was going to be serviceable or even good in the beginning was mostly fooling themselves. Give the OL 4-8 weeks and we can talk - I just hope Zack can survive that long.

4 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

AVT was a first round pick how?

How about we give the O-line some time. This doesn’t happen is one game or two games. 

Yes, they played like trash. But Becton was solid last year, AVT should be solid and hopefully Fant or Moses improve as they get more reps as a unit. 

The silver lining is Wilson looked good when given a chance to make throws.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

This group first played together yesterday.  It will take a little time for them to come together.  If they are still playing like this at midseason then we can bash Douglas but this was week 1 for a group that had since injuries in camp and never really played together.

The problem is - except for AVT, t's the exact same group from last year - tTey've been playing together for a full season.  You should be able to switch out one player and hold it together.

Not having good players is the problem.

• Upvote 2

i don't think many people realize how important it is for the oline to play together as a unit before they can be good.  even during the past two seasons the oline started playing well enough once they had played as a unit over a number of games.  it's the same thing with this one.  they might have been a little surprised at the carolina team speed but they also recovered in the second half.  imo they'll get this straightened out.  the run game needs to work better to give zach the time he needs.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

No pass for JD. No more passes for anyone.

I can understand a young team and growing pains but this line is brutal. It blows!!!!! It would need a drastic improvement to be terrible. Enough passes. JD owns this. 

So you understand a young team will have growing pains, but they're terrible after one game.  Okay.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The problem is - except for AVT, t's the exact same group from last year - tTey've been playing together for a full season.  You should be able to switch out one player and hold it together.

Not having good players in the problem.

Becton on had been out along with AVT and then the RTs were rotating.  They should have been better but I'm not panicking yet.  My biggest concern is the OL looked better when becton left the game.

Is becton miscast in a zone blocking scheme?

and this is last year’s bad O line with AVT swapped for Lewis. So, I’m not sure why anyone expected a huge improvement especially since this was the first game they all played together and it was a trial by fire with constant blitzes.

plus, the o line will be bad so long as it includes Mcgoven at C and Van Roten at RG. They are bad at their jobs and the DCs know it.

• Upvote 1