Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He put up an Instagram story today with a joke/meme about being outside your house in winter anxiously waiting for your weed guy. 

yea that's not great. 

If he really is lazy and incapable of working hard to keep his weight down, then the Jets have to consider a guy like Neal in the first (who could also probably play inside in a pinch). The Jets have to be honest about what they are seeing. If they legitimately think he is going to work hard to come back better than he was, then he is way too talented to give up on after getting rolled on one time (which, can happen to any OL in the league on any play)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

yea that's not great. 

If he really is lazy and incapable of working hard to keep his weight down, then the Jets have to consider a guy like Neal in the first (who could also probably play inside in a pinch). The Jets have to be honest about what they are seeing. If they legitimately think he is going to work hard to come back better than he was, then he is way too talented to give up on after getting rolled on one time (which, can happen to any OL in the league on any play)

Be nice the next time Douglas comes out from underneath his rock someone asks him how in depth did their scouting team research Becton and Mims commitment to football. 30 seconds of listening to either of them should have put them on the do not draft list. Both are looking like potential career flameouts before their rookie contracts are up. Hard to build a team when the scouting dept whiffs this badly on premium picks. They have gotten basically zero from his first two picks as GM.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Be nice the next time Douglas comes out from underneath his rock someone asks him how in depth did their scouting team research Becton and Mims commitment to football. 30 seconds of listening to either of them should have put them on the do not draft list. Both are looking like potential career flameouts before their rookie contracts are up. Hard to build a team when the scouting dept whiffs this badly on premium picks. They have gotten basically zero from his first two picks as GM.

This is why it will be so painful to go defense 2x in round 1 in 2022, b/c the 3 guys on offense taken in 2020, becton mims and Perine, do not play at all.

• Upvote 4

On 11/23/2021 at 12:45 AM, slimjasi said:

Sanchez debates are my personal favorite of the Jet QB debates. The Darnold debate is too raw and depressing for me personally because I thought he was gonna be good. The Pennington debate grew stale years ago. Fitzpatrick was a flash in the pan on borrowed time. O Brien was good but everyone knows the Jets should have taken Marino. Everyone agrees Richard Todd was a disaster. 

Sanchez is recent enough to still be fresh and not that depressing because at least the team had a few nice playoff runs with him. 

He's not bad in the broadcast booth. Surprised me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I haven't heard him in the booth yet, but he's an excellent radio interview

He's on Fox. A couple of times I heard a voice I didn't recognize that sounded halfway intelligent and it turned out to be Sanchez. Who knew?

• Upvote 4

On 11/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, JetsRay said:

It's going to be so much fun watching Becton develop, grow up, and become a dominant cornerstone LT, forcing so many of you to eat crow.

If only the clueless on here had a little patience to let a player develop.

Why do you hate George Fant? 

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Outside of Fant getting injured, there is 0 chance Becton plays this year.  We are not messing with the oline chemistry and he will be playing RT for us next year anyway.

I'm fascinated to see what happens with Becton. 

He played at a borderline pro-bowl level as a rookie, had a bad camp in a new system, got hurt in the first game of the year, and his replacement has played really well. A lot of people think this means he will be moving to right tackle, but the Jets have said nothing to indicate this at all and I suspect they will still want to play Becton next to AVT. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He played at a borderline pro-bowl level as a rookie, had a bad camp in a new system, got hurt in the first game of the year, and his replacement has played really well. A lot of people think this means he will be moving to right tackle, but the Jets have said nothing to indicate this at all and I suspect they will still want to play Becton next to AVT. 

I’m beginning to wonder if the gm and hc don’t want him to play this year, b/c 1) the OL is geling without him, and 2) they have a better shot of trading him in the offseason if he does not reinjure himself or look so woefully out of shape that his trade value takes another hit.  With the jets seemingly destined for a top 5 pick, you have to wonder if the jets would consider taking someone like Neal, trading becton and just moving on.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:37 PM, JiFapono said:

I'm certainly not going to die on a hill for this take but I do wonder how much the covid restrictions and fact he was drafting for another Head Coach factors into the '20 draft....and it was his first ever draft.  With how the '21 draft is playing out, I think there is probably some defense to be made considering the known challenges of scouting during that time and the fact he was drafting for a different HC.

2020 draft was not very good by JD.  However Mims and Perrine absolutely fit Gase’s offense and we do need to take that in mind when looking at how JD’s 2021 draft was super tailored to Salah’s specific position attributes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh was asked in today press conference where Becton will be playing when he returns and he declined to answer that question.  I could be reading too much into that but I believe that is telling.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh was asked in today press conference where Becton will be playing when he returns and he declined to answer that question.  I could be reading too much into that but I believe that is telling.

He will be playing don’t get caught taking leftovers home at the local Chinese Buffet.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think that’s more a combination about Saleh being clueless and Becton. After this past Sunday I didn’t want to talk about the Jets for a couple of days. And it wasn’t that they lost, but again it was the embarrassing way that they lost. Against a bunch of scrubs at home.

• Upvote 1

ALL I'm going to say:

The Jets just got their asses handed to them by the Philadelphia OL of, basically, guys the size of Bechton. So, the suggestion that his body is not suited for the riggers of the NFL seemed absurdly disproved on Sunday.

He's done for the year: what's the rush to come back? It's not a playoff possibility, the OL is playing with Fant over on the left side. That said, I would have wanted to see Fant playing the right side and Bechton on the left. Moses is a hold-the-fort.

The negativity on threads like these is too much for me...

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

They say the first 8-9 games in the new system all OLine look bad. 

He deserves a few more games in the new system.  Also, that injury sucked and it’s silly to blame him for it.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BP said:

I think that’s more a combination about Saleh being clueless and Becton. After this past Sunday I didn’t want to talk about the Jets for a couple of days. And it wasn’t that they lost, but again it was the embarrassing way that they lost. Against a bunch of scrubs at home.

Saleh is one of the brightest coaches in the game.  He knows both the offensive side and defensive side of the ball in and out.  He know exactly what is going on with Becton and what they are going to do with him.

• Thumb Down 1