Game Observations (TEN)

KRL

I wonder how much of our d-line success led to those long screens? Its hard to harass/sack the qb AND guard against screens at the same time.

Our d-line was unstoppable, which most likely led to those screens called to slow down our pass rush. It didn't work...we kept sacking the qb and giving up long screens!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I wonder how much of our d-line success led to those long screens? Its hard to harass/sack the qb AND guard against screens at the same time.

Our d-line was unstoppable, which most likely led to those screens called to slow down our pass rush. It didn't work...we kept sacking the qb and giving up long screens!

I'm fine with giving up screen passes on most downs, but 3rd and 22 is an obvious screen/draw down and you can't just ignore the back. 

• Upvote 2

Some uncalled penalties on those big screen plays certainly helped *cough*blockintheback*cough* but I think they really stepped up in the 4th and OT covering that screen and really hammering the back once he caught it.  Those biG hits from Williams added up after a while.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

A number one RB needs to be a top priority this upcoming offseason. We are so limited on offense because the run game sucks. 

Agree.  Carter should be a 3rd down back and occasionally spell a workhorse back.  He can be our leon washington.

But we need a big, stud rb for next year.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While it would be nice, OL comes first, and that miraculously manages to quickly change the apparent talent level of the RBs.

C and RG are obviously a big issue and while I know many don't like passing judgment on a young highly-drafted rookie when playing next to guys that we all hate more, AVT has had also numerous issues not understanding what he's supposed to be doing in pass pro for zone blocking.  Even some of the plays folks were blasting McGovern for, AVT was the one blocking nothing but air as the gap between them was getting shot through.  That's not to say his position is anywhere close to what they need to be looking at on the OL, but in the end the interior line has been a huge problem and needs to be the offense's greatest priority by far, for more than one player.  While a RB would still be a nice addition to this offense after that, the ones they have will quickly look improved when not constantly having to deal with defenders in the backfield.

5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds next year.  We can take 2 olineman, a tight end, a running back and use on on the defensive side of the ball.

43 minutes ago, PS17 said:

A number one RB needs to be a top priority this upcoming offseason. We are so limited on offense because the run game sucks. 

Doesnt matter if its Barry Sanders back there. We need a center, RG and a RT. Cant run the ball without blocking. Cant wait till next year where McGovern rides the bench and Fant as well if he's still here which I doubt. Moses was cheap so I gather he maybe back. But we need a top FA signing for the OL NOT these JAGS JD has signed for the OL the last 3 years.  Hopefully we are becoming more appealing to FA's now that we have more pieces in place.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While it would be nice, OL comes first, and that miraculously manages to quickly change the apparent talent level of the RBs.

C and RG are obviously a big issue and while I know many don't like passing judgment on a young highly-drafted rookie when playing next to guys that we all hate more, AVT has had also numerous issues not understanding what he's supposed to be doing in pass pro for zone blocking.  Even some of the plays folks were blasting McGovern for, AVT was the one blocking nothing but air as the gap between them was getting shot through.  That's not to say his position is anywhere close to what they need to be looking at on the OL, but in the end the interior line has been a huge problem and needs to be the offense's greatest priority by far, for more than one player.  While a RB would still be a nice addition to this offense after that, the ones they have will quickly look improved when not constantly having to deal with defenders in the backfield.

I agree. OL should still be the top priority but I also want to invest in a better back. Carter is the best of a very meh (at best) group, and he is not an every down guy.

• Upvote 2

Yea I think this is a game where the real performers didn’t make the stat sheet.  Q Williams got 2 sacks but one was a coverage sack, and the other was a OL mistake (credit to Saleh for a nice design).

Franklin Myers and Huff were imo the dominant force on the line, getting consistent pressure and dominated their mans.  And the other Williams was a monster at LB (I suspect that even though Mosley played well sideline to sideline, he’s going to get some flak for pass coverage).

Multiple good games in the secondary by a lot of unheralded players, as I noticed none of Ten’s skill players had an inch of seperation.

On offense, I think this is a game where our WRs were the best performers.  Multiple ZW passes were off target and required the receiver to change routes.  He easily could have been picked two more times..  I liked a few things I saw, but he seems to run the same play every time when things break down.  (Roll out, throw ball up off back foot), it just happened to work out for him this time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yea, the Titans don't look like the same team from last season and they were missing two WRs who'd likely make a difference, but it doesn't matter. The Jets beat the team that was on the field in front of them. Something it took them until week 48 last year. 

It should be factored in that though they were missing their two best WRs, we were missing both our starting safeties

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

I think that it is clear to state that for now we go as far as our defense carries us. To be an elite defense we need to score defensive touchdowns. Turnovers and short fields for the offense will generate more wins. The offense is still inconsistent, and our slow starts are a concern. There should be more support around Zach from the OL and our weapons. We did enough not to lose. Still need to learn how to win, how to put a team away.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Wow!!!  With the totally inept way the offense started out the game there's
no way I saw this coming.  But of course in Jet fashion Robert Saleh's first
win had to come on a missed FG on the final play of OT.  Multiple botched
opportunities to close out the game made this a nail biter, but beggars can't
be choosers.  For the first time all year it was fun to review the tape, let's
take a look:

Special Teams

- Matt Ammendola has been a solid find at kicker.  He was a perfect 2/2 in FG
and 3/3 in XP.  And on kickoffs he's been a consistent touchback guy.

- Tom Morstead has been a solid pickup for the injured Braden Mann, averaging
46.2 yards on his punts today.

- Braxton Berrios finally had an impactful game returning kicks.  As he averaged
16 yards on his punt returns and 24 yards on his kick off returns.

Defense

- Let's deal with the elephant in the room, the Jets caught a HUGE break with no
Julio Jones and AJ Brown in the lineup.  The remaining TEN WRs were nothing to fear
and the young secondary did a fine job keeping them under control.  Bryce Hall
was the standout as he had 5 Tackles, .5 Sack, 3 Pass Defensed, 2 QB Hits and excellent
timing on his blitzes.

- Consistent pressure from the DLine produced SEVEN sacks.  The stat producers were:
  * Quinnen Williams with 7 Tackles, 2 Sacks, TFL and 2 QB Hits.
  * Bryce Huff with 2 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, TFL and 3 QB Hits.
  * John Franklin-Myers with 4 Tackles, Sack, 2 TFL and 3 QB Hits.  Franklin-Myers is
    taking advantage of Carl Lawson's injury and he is putting himself in line for a
    nice contract.
Even though he didn't produce big numbers (2 Tackles, QB Hit) special recognition needs
to go to Sheldon Rankins.  He was creating so much disruption/penetration that his line
mates were able to "mop up" and get the stats off of his work.

- Normally I would rip the rush defense (37 rushes / 177 yards).  But with Derrick Henry,
TEN OLine and their sledgehammer running game I'm pretty happy the defense kept them "under
control".  Finally, why TEN takes Henry off the field in any 3rd and short situation is
beyond me.

- The worst aspect of the defensive performance was the screen game.  Jeremy McNichols
was TEN leading receiver (8 rec / 74 yards) on nothing but screens.  Too many on 3rd and
longs when the defense could've gotten off the field.

- Absolute monster games by CJ Mosley and Quincy Williams at LB.  Covering sideline to
sideline, taking on Henry in the running game and getting into the backfield:
  * Mosley had 14 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit.
  * Williams had 12 Tackles, Sack, 2 TFL, QB Hit and a Pass Defensed.  If he keeps
    producing at this level he'll be known for his game and not that he's Quinnen's brother.
    And to think he was a waiver pickup before the season began.

Offense

- I'm happy that the offense produced 27 points but as you break it down I'm still concerned.
They didn't run the ball effectively at all (25 rushes / 66 yards) and excluding the "splash"
plays produced by Zach Wilson there was nothing they could rely on.  

- Amazing to think that it took three full games and three quarters before this team held
a lead.

- The OLine got no push in the run game but did a good job in keeping Wilson clean.

- Corey Davis had a good statistical game (4 rec / 111 yards / TD) but early on he had a bad
drop and caused Wilson's INT as he stumbled out of his break.  Hopefully the 50+ yard TD
Davis pulled in late in the game will get him going.

- Props to Keelan Cole not just for a good stat game (3 rec / 92 yards) but he was the first
WR to actually catch a Wilson "off script" throw.

- Welcome back Jamison Crowder as he provided Wilson with a reliable target (7 rec / 61 yards / TD).

- Zach Wilson's "off script" talents saved the day for the offense as he was 21/34, 297 yards,
2 TD and an INT.  All the "splashy" plays he produced at BYU and on his pro day were on display:
  * As he hit Cole on a 50+ yarder to set up a FG.
  * He fumbled the snap then hit Crowder on a 30+ yarder to set up a TD.
  * Pointed Davis to go deep for a 50+ yard TD.
  * And dropped a "dime" for a 30+ yard gain to Cole which led to the FG in OT.

But for all the "sexy" plays Wilson has to clean up the little things which would've ended the game
in regulation or OT:
  * With two minutes left in the fourth quarter he has to complete that pass to Davis to pick up
    the first down.
  * And on the OT drive he can't "dirt" the ball to Ryan Griffin on what would've been a walk in TD.

Now off to London to play ATL which lost a tough game to WSH, can this team clean things up and get
another win??? 

can't disagree with this.  i only saw the fourth qtr.  the biggest mistake i saw was wilson missing the throw to davis with about 3 minutes to go.  a completion meant a first down and would've iced the game.  possible that jones and brown being out made a huge change but tennessee is a ground and pound team.  tannehill just wasn't getting much time to go deep.

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Doesnt matter if its Barry Sanders back there. We need a center, RG and a RT. Cant run the ball without blocking. Cant wait till next year where McGovern rides the bench and Fant as well if he's still here which I doubt. Moses was cheap so I gather he maybe back. But we need a top FA signing for the OL NOT these JAGS JD has signed for the OL the last 3 years.  Hopefully we are becoming more appealing to FA's now that we have more pieces in place.

Moses is not back cheap.  He should be extended now 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

GREAT write up.

Love seeing Quincy, small school guy, under sized linebacker make an impact.  Jets of old draft Darron Lee in 1st round for zip.   Same with our Dline…. Other than Williams, late rounders making a HUGE impact.

GMs must find a way to measure heart.   Coples in the first or Myers in a later round.  We have to figure that out.   I know difficult but this is the first time I have seen real evidence of JD doing well.  Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves as we have been here before but I liked what I saw.  

Now if the Pats could lose 10 games….  I’d be a happy man   

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with giving up screen passes on most downs, but 3rd and 22 is an obvious screen/draw down and you can't just ignore the back. 
I know there really are no excuses but on one of those 3rd and forever plays, it did look as if our defensive players were blocked in the back springing the big play

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

As always thank you for this, I look forward to it after every game -  but I have to disagree on a couple of points.

1) Feels like you're saying the big plays are lucky and without them we lose...But we took what we were being given.

The Titans essentially dared Zach to beat them (like others did before) they are stacking the box, stopping the run game and making the short passing game very difficult.  There was single coverage over the top - and ZW took advantage of it.  If he continues to do this teams will have to back off and you'll see the running game look better.

ZW was great yesterday and overcame his WR's letting him down early again.  I counted 4 drops.  He does have to clean up the two or three bad throws, but he made a ton of really nice throws from the pocket too, there was FAAAAAR more good than bad from Zach today.

2) I am tired of hearing about the Titans receivers that were out.  Our $30mm pass rusher, 1st round LT, Franchise tagged safety, #2 safety - and many more - were all out - I would say our injuries are worse than theirs.  Give me back those three premium players and give them those two I like our chances more.  We are NOT lucky they were out, we were unlucky our guys are out.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, thshadow said:

Actually, tankathon says we do have our 3rd round pick.  Not sure which is correct.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/jets

CURRENT DRAFT PICKS
1st Rd
NYJ

1st Rd
SEA

2nd Rd
NYJ

2nd Rd
CAR

3rd Rd
NYJ

4th Rd
MIN

4th Rd
CAR

5th Rd
PIT

5th Rd
NYJ

6th Rd
TB

Jets have their 3rd. They traded their 2022 4th in the Adams trade, but get Carolina’s 4th in the Darnold trade.